Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10?  (Read 91708 times)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Windows 10?
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:10:32 am »

So anyone installed it yet ?

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 11:16:00 am »

No, and not likely to.  My PC is working at the mo' and I have no wish to disable it or turn it into a pseudo mobile phone. 
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:28:03 pm »

My Guru advises to wait as bugs are sure to abound.

Download it closer to the end of the 12 month period as it will be more stable/reliable.

There is also talk that this is the last version of windows????
whatever that means. {:-{ {:-{

https://askleo.com/will-windows-10-be-free/?awt_l=J72BJ&awt_m=J_jWk0fxFJdfbL
Gunna build those other boats one day.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 12:32:53 pm »

My Guru advises to wait as bugs are sure to abound.

Download it closer to the end of the 12 month period as it will be more stable/reliable.

last version as was, I think they will just continually tweak W10

Will be updayeing Laptop within the next few days, see how it goes and then update PC on a new SSD..

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 03:32:26 pm »

I'm going to download tonight and install on someone else's PC to test!   ;)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 03:45:59 pm »

I'm going to download tonight and install on someone else's PC to test!   ;)

That's what Microsoft said and do.........

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 05:24:36 pm »

been running it for months, works well.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 05:36:28 pm »

I'm currently trying to rescue a laptop from another expat in the village, she turned it off using the off button while it was downloading windows upgrades. The result is the computer will not get past the boot screen without errors.

I can't get it to reload from its partition, seems that is corrupt as well. I gave up on win7 seven yesterday and today even though I have deleted all the partitions using  a dos command on a pendrive and reformmated the disk I can't get an operating system to load.

Tomorrow its going to be rip out the drive and slave it into my laptop, hopefully I can get full access and sort it out that way. But Windows 10 ? Let me deal with this first!

SteveB66

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats are chillin!!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 06:02:55 pm »

I have a desktop running windows 7, that will stay as it is. I don't like windows 8, so 10 no thanks. I also have a old Dell laptop running Ubuntu a Linux operating system, this i do like. It's really simple and dead easy. The only problem is I can't use my printer with it, but I just use the desktop so that is no problem to me.

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 07:57:49 pm »

I may run it on a virtual machine on one of my macs  :-)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 09:49:28 am »

I'm currently trying to rescue a laptop from another expat in the village, she turned it off using the off button while it was downloading windows upgrades. The result is the computer will not get past the boot screen without errors.

I can't get it to reload from its partition, seems that is corrupt as well. I gave up on win7 seven yesterday and today even though I have deleted all the partitions using  a dos command on a pendrive and reformmated the disk I can't get an operating system to load.

Tomorrow its going to be rip out the drive and slave it into my laptop, hopefully I can get full access and sort it out that way. But Windows 10 ? Let me deal with this first!
That one will not get the free win 10 upgrade unless it has a valid win 7 or 8.  If win 10 is installed without using the upgrade option, it will consider itself a "clean" install, and will demand a code which will cost real money before loading.
The circumstances highlight one thing that makes me very uncertain about win 10 - you, as the PC owner, don't get the option to select where, when and what updates are applied.  Given that M$ decided that the entire world was populated solely by portable handheld devices when they cobbled up win 8, this update policy is stupid.  The scene - portable device with a low battery and a wifi connection decides to do an update just as you are about to board your flight.  The probable result is one device that will be converted into a paperweight.
I will be waiting until the dust has settled a bit.  While there are good reports of win 10 from the beta testers, the general public has not done the full customer testing to find the more subtle problems.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 12:22:16 pm »

Always a good idea with Microsnot new products.
Although I do here good things from the months of beta testing...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33689332

I will be waiting until the dust has settled a bit.  While there are good reports of win 10 from the beta testers, the general public has not done the full customer testing to find the more subtle problems.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 04:17:37 pm »

I think it means that all further upgrades will be automatic downloads, a bit like updates. That is how Office365 works. My main fear is that they will be looking for an annual subscription (like they do with Office365) some time in the future.
Seeing how people are still running XP and Office2003 (even Office97), with no support and no problems, maybe I will get another 10 years out of Win7 and my Office 2010. There is also the possibility that Win10 will be a magnet for hackers and viruses, because some people may be hell bent on breaking Microsoft's new toy. Call me paranoid. I may convert one machine to Win 10 down the line, but leave the others on Win7.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 04:51:12 pm »

I am not allowed it apparently.
I have Win 8 oem updated to 8.1
My updates are all done.
I have the search icon that shows I should get it
But no way of getting the download.
Faultfinding tells me my version of windows is not
up to date which the search icon next to my name
is supposed to indicate i have the updates.

The mind boggles

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 05:38:55 pm »

I have been running it for months on a PC and a laptop without any real problems.

Windows 10 is no longer an "operating system", it is now a "service" just like Apps and will update as necessary.

At the moment you can stop automatic updates... http://www.wired.com/2015/07/stop-windows-10-auto-updates/

Downloading the Win10 update is difficult at the moment due to server overload.

You can download the full installation package from..  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 , but it is slow due to traffic

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 06:47:55 pm »

Given that Microsoft have announced that 10 will be the final release of windows, its going to be interesting in 18 months time what they are going to release in its place! O0

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 06:59:06 pm »

Given that Microsoft have announced that 10 will be the final release of windows, its going to be interesting in 18 months time what they are going to release in its place! O0

They will just be updating W10.. W10 is affectively now an APP, as this will be the same version that will be on phones, they will just update the APP as required, the money will be made when they Licence it on New PC's.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 07:03:29 pm »

Given that Microsoft have announced that 10 will be the final release of windows, its going to be interesting in 18 months time what they are going to release in its place!

They will still be making money on new installations and on all upgrades after July next year. There are suggestions that they will expand into other areas but their track record with such ventures such as Nokia and Windows Phone has not been successful.

They might end up a bit like IBM. At one time IBM was the bee's knees and had a stranglehold on personal computing and particularly hardware but they have since changed out of all recognition.

I will probably upgrade my 8.1 main PC once things have settled down a bit. The laptop is running 7 so I might leave that for the rest of its useful life.

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 07:51:10 pm »

Interesting about the phones as I have had a Samsung phone on W8 and another Nokia on 8.1 for my son, have never had any issues, and prefers them to Android..  :-))

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 09:51:32 pm »

No great problem in downloading tonight, I just downloaded 2 iso versions in no more than 2 to 3 hours. (one home version for a laptop and one pro N for the desktop.) Just got to find 2 DVDs to burn them.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 07:26:56 pm »

I upgraded today from 8.1 - only problem one of the restarts didn't, so I switched off and on again, and Win 10 installed without further problems.
So far it has removed my biggest problem with 8.1 - the 'charms menu' which appears if you go too near the edge. The start menu is nice, but with some niggles. There look to be some interesting new features when I have time, but nothing which forces me to do things I don't want to.
All in all, I'm very pleased with it.

Barrie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 07:44:37 pm »

I clicked on the logo which allows you to 'register' and puts you in the queue for the upgrade. Anyone know how long this takes?

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 08:30:44 pm »

Mine took about 45 mins all... after the download. 3Gig!

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 08:58:24 pm »

I clicked on the logo which allows you to 'register' and puts you in the queue for the upgrade. Anyone know how long this takes?

Colin

I registered both pc's months ago.. Lap top allowed the download straight away on day 1 , Main PC still waiting.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 11:45:34 pm »

Downloaded 10 yesterday, onto a 7 machine. I've really liked 7, so I was wondering whether to bother. Anyway, it's installed and running perfectly OK. No apparent issues. I think the only quibble I've got is that it only gives me a month to roll-back to 7 if 10 shows up something weird.

We'll see!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.