Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10?  (Read 91709 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 08:16:11 am »

Quote: The scene - portable device with a low battery and a wifi connection decides to do an update just as you are about to board your flight.  The probable result is one device that will be converted into a paperweight." Unquote

I admit to being a Neanderthal as far as many aspects of computers go but would you have your 'device' switched on when boarding a flight?

Barry M

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2015, 09:12:35 am »

Quote: The scene - portable device with a low battery and a wifi connection decides to do an update just as you are about to board your flight.  The probable result is one device that will be converted into a paperweight." Unquote

I admit to being a Neanderthal as far as many aspects of computers go but would you have your 'device' switched on when boarding a flight?

Barry M
No- but I certainly would shortly before, if only to check flight times, doing things to relieve the boredom of being in a departure "lounge" etc.  Just before boarding, I would be wanting to turn it off.  I would be displeased to get the message "updating - do not turn off". 
If I had noted that the battery was running a bit low and switching off because plugging in to a charger was not an option at that time I would not want to see that message.  Currently I can have auto updates turned off on a portable device so that it doesn't start an update with low power, it appears that this option is to be removed.  Unless there is some clarification from M$, this is a potential problem.  Given the number of users, a large potential problem. 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2015, 09:36:33 am »

Yes, that could certainly be a problem. A workaround might be to put the device into airplane mode before shutting down: http://www.howto-connect.com/windows-10-turn-on-or-off-airplane-mode/

No doubt there will be some discussion on this as soon as the first updates to Windows 10 are released (imposed?)

I use my phone or a tablet at the airport before flights so it shouldn't be a problem for me but a lot of people do take their laptops onboard.

Colin

inertia

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2015, 09:45:24 am »

"Microsoft has relied entirely upon the goodwill of an unpaid army of Beta testers to get W10 up and running, but how long can this one-sided arrangement continue?"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2015, 10:02:30 am »

I think that photo just shows how long some of these 'update and shutdowns' take.....

Colin

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2015, 11:34:02 am »

I updated my sons win 7 machine last night, the download was 2085.1 MB and took about 1hr and 20min in total from it starting the upgrade process (at 100mbps connection - BT standard line not fibreoptic and living within a 2 mile radius of the exchange - figures quoted are subject to change and are at the descrection of the operator).
At one point i turned to my son and said, you do know it's going to come up with a piece of text that says ' WELCOME TO SKYNET' and a picture of a metalic scull with red eyes is going to follow it going wwwhhhhhaaaa (evil overtones), he chuckled, how niave he is
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 12:05:04 pm »

Yes, that could certainly be a problem. A workaround might be to put the device into airplane mode before shutting down: http://www.howto-connect.com/windows-10-turn-on-or-off-airplane-mode/

No doubt there will be some discussion on this as soon as the first updates to Windows 10 are released (imposed?)

I use my phone or a tablet at the airport before flights so it shouldn't be a problem for me but a lot of people do take their laptops onboard.

Colin

Dear Malcolm & Colin,

I did say I was a Neanderthal in computer gizmo terms. In fact apart from my PC, I manage to exist without IPhone, IPad, Iwatch or any similar device. My mobile phone only permits me to converse or text. In fact the only ‘I’s’ I have are either side on my nose.  :-)

In airport lounges, I am one of those old-fashioned fogeys getting flight information from the Arrivals/Departures Board, reading a (paper-based) book or newspaper, taxing his brain to fill in the crossword and actually talking with real people. I manage this without the aid of a battery or filling somebody else’s bank account with annual, expensive, upgrades.  :o

I realise that at any moment a squad of Cybermen may burst out of that strangely glowing Photobooth (IBooth?) to slice off the top of my skull, reprogramme the contents and, probably, insert a perpetual standing order for the digital edition of ‘Model Boats’ (IMag?) but I’m prepared to risk it.  :P

Regards,
Barry (I)Mc 

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2015, 12:32:36 pm »

Dear Malcolm & Colin,

I did say I was a Neanderthal in computer gizmo terms. In fact apart from my PC, I manage to exist without IPhone, IPad, Iwatch or any similar device. My mobile phone only permits me to converse or text. In fact the only ‘I’s’ I have are either side on my nose.  :-)

In airport lounges, I am one of those old-fashioned fogeys getting flight information from the Arrivals/Departures Board, reading a (paper-based) book or newspaper, taxing his brain to fill in the crossword and actually talking with real people. I manage this without the aid of a battery or filling somebody else’s bank account with annual, expensive, upgrades.  :o

I realise that at any moment a squad of Cybermen may burst out of that strangely glowing Photobooth (IBooth?) to slice off the top of my skull, reprogramme the contents and, probably, insert a perpetual standing order for the digital edition of ‘Model Boats’ (IMag?) but I’m prepared to risk it.  :P

Regards,
Barry (I)Mc

Barry, Contrary to popular belief you are not alone O0 O0 O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2015, 01:02:50 pm »

Hi BarrM I would like to line up with your sentiments especially in Airports.  Having travelled on several long distance journies in the last few years I am amazed by the number of travellers locked into what ever is coming through their ear pods.  I have managed without any of the 'benefits' of i technology though I do have a MacBookPro, (a gift) I am feeling more and more alone but not inadequate!

Some years ago I met a fellow traveller I had a long wait ahead of me, she sat beside me at a cafe table after some 10 minutes of reading her paper, she put it down and we had 2 hours of very frank conversation. (both of us being over 70). A sort of in the psychiatrists chair.
Needless to say neither of us had felt the need for technology to get us through our journies.  Then she went West and I went South east.
We exchanged names but nothing else.
I do not think that would have happened if one of us had an ear pod.

I look forward to conversations but do not impose myself.  I still enjoy flying.

Just found out that if you are over 75 and going to Australia one needs to have a medical check up beforehand.  Does any other country require this?

regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2015, 01:03:47 pm »

The 2013 Model Boats Special was partially edited in the waiting lounge of Singapore airport when it overran its production schedule (not my fault!) We all have to make sacrifices!

Yes, I do the crossword at the airport too. But I do find that having a connected device on holiday to be very useful indeed. We are not the sort of people to sit around the pool all day and it is very handy to be able to check out details of local attractions and opening times while you are away.

Having the tablet was an absolute Godsend earlier this year when part of the airport burnt down the day before we were due to leave Rome after a short break. My Wife was on the phone to British Airways at midnight discussing alternative flights from other regional airports while I was on the tablet looking up train times to check if we would be able to make the suggested flights. By getting up at 6am we managed to get a train to Pisa and flew back from there. Without the devices we would probably have been stuck in Rome for another two or three days. If we had left it to the next morning the seats from Pisa were unlikely to have been available, the aircraft was packed with other refugees from Rome!

Technology is there to be exploited, you don't have to be enslaved by it.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2015, 01:06:08 pm »

Hi Colin there are some who might not have been averse to an extra few days in Rome!
regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2015, 01:08:35 pm »

Hi Colin there are some who might not have been averse to an extra few days in Rome!

True but they were having a heatwave at the time and while I like visiting new places, three days in a crowded city is usually enough for me. Too many people...

Colin

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2015, 04:38:08 pm »

-We are not the sort of people to sit around the pool all day and it is very handy to be able to check out details of local attractions and opening times while you are away.
Colin

Unless its wicksteed of course - I know the idea of a good app for an I device, point it at a stretch of water and your favourite model boat etc., is magically superimposed on to the video image of the water in question, any programmers out there  :D
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2015, 04:46:29 pm »

Regards,
Barry (I)Mc 

In that case - I'm glad to be a Neanderthal too  :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2015, 06:12:14 pm »

Dear Malcolm & Colin,
Regards, Barry (I)Mc

We have much in common then!

Being somewhat of the Dinosaur Class, can any expert tell me if it is possible to install Win10 from Win8 and if it is not suitable to me, can I revert to Win8 and how could I do it?

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2015, 06:45:37 pm »

We have much in common then!

Being somewhat of the Dinosaur Class, can any expert tell me if it is possible to install Win10 from Win8 and if it is not suitable to me, can I revert to Win8 and how could I do it?
No it must be W 8.1, so you need to upgrade to 8.1 first, then you can upgrade to 10..  Be warned 8.1 upgrade is quite a lengthy one , mine took 2 hours..
As for reverting, no need really but not sure. I think you have a period of time to do so.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2015, 07:19:30 pm »

You can revert to previous windows for one month only.

Barrie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2015, 07:20:44 pm »

You can revert within a month of upgrading to Windows 10 but I think that is only back to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7. If you want your old Windows 8 back you would need to do a reinstall from your original Windows disks - if you have them!

Colin

klz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2015, 08:56:51 pm »

Was Windows 7 Pro upgraded to Windows 10 with no problems my admin tools did not work could not download new rsat tools so reverted back to Windows 7 Pro again no problems.  I noticed the tools are now available to download so I will have another go next week.

plug

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2015, 09:50:00 pm »

Hi folks,  if you've got windows 10 it's easy to go back to windows 8.1,  left click the little window icon in the bottom left hand corner, then left click settings,  then left click update and security, then left click recovery and you'll see the option to go back to windows 8.1. That worked for me ok but don't know about windows 7 or 8, hope that helps

best regards Jack.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2015, 01:54:42 am »

The link in reply 2 as far as I can gather, covers all the commentary on here to date and the valid reasons for waiting.  :-)) :-)) O0 O0

Therefore, won't be rushing in, so I will be patient and wait.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2015, 12:05:47 pm »

Running Windows 10 and the new Edge Browser. Everything worked extremely easily and I quite like it - & that it without having got use to it.

As usual there is a lot to learn - the biggest problem that I have had is sorting my favorites - but so far so good.

Complete download & installation took less than one hour - BT Fibre.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2015, 12:17:14 pm »

Anyone else having a varying brightness issue?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2015, 12:20:11 pm »

Running Windows 10 and the new Edge Browser. Everything worked extremely easily and I quite like it - & that it without having got use to it.

As usual there is a lot to learn - the biggest problem that I have had is sorting my favorites - but so far so good.

Complete download & installation took less than one hour - BT Fibre.
I just had it import my favourites  :-))

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2015, 12:41:10 pm »

I just had it import my favourites  :-))

So did I but it rearranged them and left enormous spaces between them which meant that to find anything I seemed to be scrolling for ever. I haven't resolved the wide spacing yet.

The biggest problem I face was one that I caused. Sometimes - and I don't know how but it is my inaptitude - I manage to drag a folder of favorites into either the one below or above. I knew how to get them back out in Explorer but it took me a lot of experimenting to do so in Egde. Now I know how - and where Favorites are stored in Edge - it is easy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.