Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10?  (Read 91666 times)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2015, 01:13:54 pm »

:-))
I have mine defaulting to the Google home page, Looks nicer than edge

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2015, 06:24:05 pm »

If you are not already aware of it then it might be a very good idea to opt out of the data collecting features which are enabled by default. Lots of advice online such as this:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/03/windows_10_privacy_defaults/

Colin

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2015, 06:24:40 pm »

Daughter had 10 downloaded, installed it and Firefox takes, and I kid you not, 5 minutes to load a page.
Use Edge and its fine and dandy, try to open Firefox and five minutes later it opens.??

I'm still trying to find out why and resolve it. :o

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2015, 12:41:28 am »

If you are not already aware of it then it might be a very good idea to opt out of the data collecting features which are enabled by default. Lots of advice online such as this:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/03/windows_10_privacy_defaults/

Colin

Very good article and reinforces "there is no free lunch", AKA W10 is free.

So what else is there and yet to be discovered.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2015, 12:59:52 am »

Here is one example that Aussie taxpayers are paying for 'free'  Win 10.

There are also other institutions, AKA universities that are staying with XP.

You would think that with all the "brains" therein, there has to be reason why they are staying with XP.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/it-pro/government-it/revealed-australian-government-pays-hefty-price-to-keep-outdated-windows-operating-systems-secure-20150804-girdcd.html
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2015, 09:03:12 am »

You would think that with all the "brains" therein, there has to be reason why they are staying with XP.

There's no big mystery here. A lot of organisations, including some military ones, have XP built into their key business and operational processes. They are dependent upon code in XP which no longer exists in later versions. Rebuilding those systems would be very expensive and amending the existing ones can be very risky as changing code carries a very high probability of unwanted and possibly critical knock on effects so the best solution for the moment is 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

Banks and other big businesses are in the same cleft stick. Underneath those slick, snazzy online banking interfaces lies a lot of legacy code dating back to the 1980s written in languages which modern programmers no longer understand. Tamper with it at your peril!

Colin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2015, 10:57:37 am »

Downloaded  Sunday morning. Finished installing in the afternoon. Impressed as it runs my 20 year old printer! !! Not so impressed was that it automatically installed sll the standard windows programmes as default even though it copied across chrome mozilla etc. All passwords are ok. It even signs me in as an administrator where win 8/8.1 never would even though I was the only person registered on it. The Microsoft account copied accross ok and even linked direct into my android and my home network. Not keen on Microsoft edge but will get used to it.
Overall first impression is it good......so far
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2015, 11:07:45 am »

Just change the default for edge, made mine Google

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2015, 01:41:59 pm »

even linked direct into my android and my home network

Yes, isn't that reassuring that Microsoft know your network and Livemail passwords!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2015, 08:08:27 pm »

again,  WELCOME TO SKYNET  O0
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2015, 08:05:52 am »

Cannot be bothered to trawl through the posts to see if this has been mentioned (I know, lazy !  O0 ) So if I am preaching to the converted - Sorry !

If you are running a Sony VAIO desktop computer and presumably laptops also, Sony have issued a message in their updates section NOT to attempt a Win10 download. They have yet to develop the drivers for it and downloading could seriously mess with your machine.  >>:-(

Sony reckon they  (should) be rolling the drivers out later this month (Aug)

This explains the lack of the little 'Win10' appearing on the task bar yet in case you are starting to feel left out !

Be Warned !

Mike

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2015, 08:35:01 am »

If anyone uses Microsoft Money to look after their finances, it doesn't work in Win 10, BUT there is a fix.
PM me if you need the details

Barrie

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2015, 08:57:15 am »

Cannot be bothered to trawl through the posts to see if this has been mentioned (I know, lazy !  O0 ) So if I am preaching to the converted - Sorry !

If you are running a Sony VAIO desktop computer and presumably laptops also, Sony have issued a message in their updates section NOT to attempt a Win10 download. They have yet to develop the drivers for it and downloading could seriously mess with your machine.  >>:-(

Sony reckon they  (should) be rolling the drivers out later this month (Aug)

This explains the lack of the little 'Win10' appearing on the task bar yet in case you are starting to feel left out !

Be Warned !

Mike

So did Sony forget it was happening, been in development for over 2  years, would think a large corp would get their act together.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2015, 02:35:18 pm »

So did Sony forget it was happening, been in development for over 2  years, would think a large corp would get their act together.

I get the impression that Sony lost interest in the computer side of the business and look on updates etc as a bit of a nuisance ! :((

Mike

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2015, 03:43:34 pm »

I get the impression that Sony lost interest in the computer side of the business and look on updates etc as a bit of a nuisance ! :((

Mike

Sony sold their "VAIO" pc business a year ago.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2095180/sony-sheds-vaio-pc-business-turns-tv-unit-into-subsidiary.html

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2015, 04:06:46 pm »

Sony sold their "VAIO" pc business a year ago.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2095180/sony-sheds-vaio-pc-business-turns-tv-unit-into-subsidiary.html

Oh great ! Thanks for that Senegal, I didn't know about it. Well in that case I will count myself very lucky to get anything at all. If the drivers get issued then hopefully Windows 10 will be loadable, but after that it will be a wait and see  how long before the scapheap beckons !

Mike

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2015, 06:59:00 pm »

Only thing I have noticed at the moment is I seem unable to add any of the Emicons   :_)

Just Add Water

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2015, 07:56:07 pm »

I don't want to appear to be a snob, but My upfront Office is ahead of the game, they have just Up graded to Windows 95.

I on the other hand have a 27in Mac and things are OK here.

:-))

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2015, 08:09:37 pm »

WOW  %%

Win 95 How far into the future is your pc - they only want people to upgrade to windows 10, has Arnie been round ?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Just Add Water

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2015, 08:14:07 pm »

WOW  %%

Win 95 How far into the future is your pc - they only want people to upgrade to windows 10, has Arnie been round ?

Windows 95 is my works, they are going places, believe me they have pencil sharpeners.

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2015, 09:14:33 pm »

I too am one of those multi-dextrous types...

I prefer macs...   a mac mini and a 11.6" air consume 90% of my computing time, but i dabble in everything...  i have 3 android tablets, 2 android phones, 2 windows tablets, 1 windows laptop, 1 linux laptop.

amazingly enough, no iphones, no ipads, no ipods.   can't stand that limited closed up hardware, and the need to connect to their store to get anything installed on it.

back to the topic, one windows tablet is 8.1, the other is 10.   like the 10 version better.  the windows laptop is windows XP,  and hasn't been turned on in at least 2 years.

oh, and i write computer software for a living... which might be why i collect these things like baseball cards.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2015, 11:57:56 pm »

Way, way out of my league !
I apologise for getting your name wrong above. How the hell I managed to read tsenecal and turn it into senegal"...........whoa, stop right there ! Just found out as I was writing, it is that 'blinking!' annoying auto correct that the IPad uses that is more of a hindrance than anything. Anyone know how to switch it off ?

And who said 'blinking' - not me ! I said b l o o dy ,so there !

Mike

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2015, 04:17:22 am »

Mike,

no injury... i have been called much worse on a few occasions.

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2015, 05:25:26 am »

amazingly enough, no iphones, no ipads, no ipods.   can't stand that limited closed up hardware, and the need to connect to their store to get anything installed on it.

sorry not quite with you there....!!  {:-{ %%

android or Google for that matter ... there is not much difference... there you have to use there STORE and have a google account..
Microsoft and Window are not much better either... for anyone that has the versions 8 or higher.. were all the programs are stored at Microsoft... unless you have manually changed that to a local account...

its the way the computer World is going... just like the centralised software through Citrix, or the virtual computers housed in Blade units.. One Account and One Password (saved in the Active Directory) gets you a work station and all the software you need..

inertia

« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2015, 08:38:33 am »

Unlike many, I would kill for a decent XP Pro machine so that I can run my ancient copy of AutoCAD properly. I'm stuck with Vista Business at present - suitably tweaked - but there are several commands which just aren't recognised and it has hissy fits at times when it refuses to Save files. The alternative is to buy the current version of AutoCAD (seen the price?!), but it's apparently a pile of pooh compared with R14 - even if you don't have to remember all the text commands for 3D. It's that or learn TurboCAD, and having spent a year at night-school on AutoCAD and gained a C&G I'm very reluctant to lose all that expertise.
Incidentally my network manager mate Huw has been running a beta version of W10 at home for 6 months and says it's as stable as XP. He's not been impressed by anything out of Microsoft since that.
DM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.