Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10?  (Read 91660 times)

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2015, 08:48:56 am »

@ Dave
I still have my Laptop running on XP pro...
and I have two other copies of XP pro (the original software with Number) never been used, but its the German Version..  {-)

as to CAD software... I use Coral Draw... very easy to use if you just doing normal Drawings... for example Plans or Etching Brass

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2015, 09:03:55 am »

Unlike many, I would kill for a decent XP Pro machine so that I can run my ancient copy of AutoCAD properly. I'm stuck with Vista Business at present - suitably tweaked - but there are several commands which just aren't recognised and it has hissy fits at times when it refuses to Save files. The alternative is to buy the current version of AutoCAD (seen the price?!), but it's apparently a pile of pooh compared with R14 - even if you don't have to remember all the text commands for 3D. It's that or learn TurboCAD, and having spent a year at night-school on AutoCAD and gained a C&G I'm very reluctant to lose all that expertise.
Incidentally my network manager mate Huw has been running a beta version of W10 at home for 6 months and says it's as stable as XP. He's not been impressed by anything out of Microsoft since that.
DM
A mate had a similar problem - he paid a nice man to install XP pro on his all new machine that could not load the program he needed to work for his living. 
I suspect that it might be possible to load XP on your Vista machine after creating a partition for it to live in and dual boot it to get the full functions of your workhorse program.  Discs are still available out there - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Professional-Service-Software/dp/B003CG00KE/ref=pd_cp_65_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=01BXNJKMYDX1TNQAXWXQ -
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2015, 10:43:20 am »

Unlike many, I would kill for a decent XP Pro machine so that I can run my ancient copy of AutoCAD properly. I'm stuck with Vista Business at present - suitably tweaked - but there are several commands which just aren't recognised and it has hissy fits at times when it refuses to Save files. The alternative is to buy the current version of AutoCAD (seen the price?!), but it's apparently a pile of pooh compared with R14 - even if you don't have to remember all the text commands for 3D. It's that or learn TurboCAD, and having spent a year at night-school on AutoCAD and gained a C&G I'm very reluctant to lose all that expertise.
Incidentally my network manager mate Huw has been running a beta version of W10 at home for 6 months and says it's as stable as XP. He's not been impressed by anything out of Microsoft since that.
DM

Could it be that M have finally woken up and W10 is the modern version of XP.
Wonders will never cease.
Am still running XP pro on my other machine this one with W7 is a ..............................
Gunna build those other boats one day.

inertia

« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2015, 12:19:52 pm »

The supreme irony is that this machine came with both XP and Vista on it (dual boot only on initial power up), but when the hard drive eventually died we found that we didn't have the system discs for XP - only those for Vista. I grit my teeth and bear it, but I don't like it. Now that the motherboard has accommodated two different HDDs and two different operating systems I don't know if it would accept a fresh copy of XP anyway.
Huw is currently incommunicado after our partial success in getting Server 2008 to work properly. He is adamant he can fix it, but he operates in a parallel universe for much of his time and I have to catch him as he passes by his end of the Wormhole............... 8)
I do have CorelDraw 12 which I use for the wiring diagrams, but it's really more of an illustrator's program than CAD and no substitute for AutoCAD for 'proper' technical drawing e.g. plans.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2015, 01:43:28 pm »

My sons vista machine has been running win 10 now for the best part of a week, had a go - WoW - difficult to find anything that resembles win 7, but he is happy, as long as he does his holiday homework he is getting 4 new peripheral items - keyboard, mouse leads etc.

For 'just add water' - my tablet is a black screen type with a white scribe called chalk  %), doesn't need to update, compatible with all versions of OS's, changing to a new page you swipe it from left to right with a damp cloth - takes a while to be able to do further work on it unless you use the back screen  :D.

Use vista at work with autocad LT 2008, if I need to do a more illustrative drawing i.e. a 3D visual for the clients to understand what our equipment would look like in the position they are having it fitted then I use either AutoCAD 2009 on the XP side of the pc (separate hard drive dual boot set up) or AutoCAD 2014 on the win 7 side, I prefer the earlier 2009 version as it is more user friendly.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2015, 03:03:10 pm »

sorry not quite with you there....!!  {:-{ %%

android or Google for that matter ... there is not much difference... there you have to use there STORE and have a google account..
Microsoft and Window are not much better either... for anyone that has the versions 8 or higher.. were all the programs are stored at Microsoft... unless you have manually changed that to a local account...

its the way the computer World is going... just like the centralised software through Citrix, or the virtual computers housed in Blade units.. One Account and One Password (saved in the Active Directory) gets you a work station and all the software you need..

nope, you can "side load" apps onto a google phone.  you can use the amazon store instead of the google store.   most important to me though...  you can use a device like a thumb drive to move files around.   have you ever tried to put a tif file or a dxf file on a iphone?  nearly impossible.   I use my android phone itself as a thumb drive all the time to move files from the office to home or home to office.   impossible to do on an iphone.   and i hate the cloud.  i guess i am old school.   i also love the fact my android phone has a microSD slot, and a version of the OS that supports a 64gb capacity on that microsd card.   room for tons of stuff.   I also am able to take the microSD card out of my "action" camera (gopro) and plug it directly into my phone, to see what my sub just recorded, as soon as i take it out of the water.

and yes, getting back to OT...  my windows boxes all use local accounts.

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2015, 03:15:58 pm »

I do have CorelDraw 12 which I use for the wiring diagrams, but it's really more of an illustrator's program than CAD and no substitute for AutoCAD for 'proper' technical drawing e.g. plans.
i could beg to differ ... but would that be a different thread..!!
the two attachments were drawn using CorelDraw15

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2015, 09:13:42 pm »

Colin, sorry, but as a CAD draughtsman (and ex drawing office manager) I wouldnt call that a drawing, (other than in a vary basic way), proper CAD can do so much more. see attached. which were drawn up in 3d in CAD. as an additional comment more on topic, I upgraded my win 7 machine to win 10, it has 2 CAD packages, autocad and microstation (though autocad is the studdent version) and after the update to win 10, both packages continued to function perfectly (though initially microstation had trouble getting the licence- I think I had to re-input the wifi password).
Grendel
ps - the royal tudor pdf is a 3d pdf and is rotatable if you have the right version of pdf reader.

Stavros

« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2015, 08:03:26 am »

Honestly lads I don't honestly know why you are having problems with win 10.....just installed it last night....far far better than win 7 or even 8.....far far easier to use.....I am NO computer geek at all but for a numpty is is easy peasy to use maybe it is to easy for the computer geek out there.

Dave

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2015, 08:57:10 am »

For those who are waiting to see how it all goes with Win 10, I had a pop up with natty clock ticking away telling me that I ought to download it while it was still free.

Pond weed is your enemy

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2015, 09:05:00 am »

Honestly lads I don't honestly know why you are having problems with win 10.....just installed it last night....far far better than win 7 or even 8.....far far easier to use.....I am NO computer geek at all but for a numpty is is easy peasy to use maybe it is to easy for the computer geek out there.

Dave

I agree Stavros - no problems at all. One program didn't work, but a fix was soon found. However, if you're expecting Cortana to be available (in the UK), you have to do some work loading extra language packs

[size=78%]Barrie[/size]

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2015, 11:25:43 am »

what like proper english like wot i speak

Just Add Water

« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2015, 05:08:25 pm »

what like proper english like wot i speak

OH? And wot skool did you went to, wen you was a children ?

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2015, 07:01:45 pm »

a real posh won, I still have a tab let from it, it got 11 commandmants, last one sayz - though shalt not remove from school

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2015, 07:25:52 pm »

Windows 7 and Windows 10 run fine on my Mac!

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2015, 10:43:30 pm »

seems nice to use but taking ages to load when first switched on. I hope the machine gets used to it. Quite good speed when it does come up.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #91 on: August 08, 2015, 10:54:44 pm »

Installed it onto laptop, agree with tobyker about load time. Also mine has developed a curious trick of shutting down a few seconds after the Win ten logo appears. As soon the as the on/off button pressed again, everything loads as per normal ..............weird or what ? Otherwise seems ok.
Trust me to have a laptop with attitude  %%

Mike

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #92 on: August 08, 2015, 11:34:04 pm »

Looking at the latest comments I'm assuming that you can load win 10 into a separate partition and run from there, is that correct?

LB

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2015, 09:41:19 am »

Looking at the latest comments I'm assuming that you can load win 10 into a separate partition and run from there, is that correct?

LB
No reason why it shouldn't, BUT it would then become a new, clean, installation rather that a free upgrade of an existing "legal" system.  M$ would want paying before letting it work.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2015, 12:26:57 pm »

Took it off again this morning, not happy with computer shutting down by itself. Reverting to Win 7 straightforward, only took a few minutes and everything appears to be back wher it belongs (looking around for nearest bit of touchable wood  %) )

Mike

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2015, 06:26:56 pm »

Had it downloaded onto my laptop, running windows 7....and it all seems fine for the last four days :-))
Only thing is I am finding it harder to just transfer files from a dongle, and more difficult to locate certain files........but I like it.
Don't know why my daughters laptop, won't run Firefox....mine does.. ;)

Oh and as I had a new hard drive fitted 6mths ago, and insisting that 7 was loaded on, I have a setup disc for 7 home premium....so if it all goes pete tong, I can reload from disc..happy days.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
Windows 10?.
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2015, 10:42:45 pm »

Should I accept a Free Update to 10 from 8.?
Martin, please move to the correct section if in wrong one.

Len.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10?.
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2015, 07:06:02 am »

I upgraded from 7 to 10 a couple of weeks ago. It got rid of a nasty virus I have had on the laptop and is faster to load and shut down. Okay, it may take a while to get used to it, but so far so good. It has a great little photo editing system, which is easy to use and very effective. All in all I am very pleased with it.
If your machine will take it, go for it. Once installed, if you don't like it, there is an option to return to your previous version if Windows, so nothing lost.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2015, 07:34:09 am »

Should I accept a Free Update to 10 from 8.?
Martin, please move to the correct section if in wrong one.

Len.
Hi Len. If you look in the chi chat section you will find a thread already on about w 10 with various. Feed back, I can't put the link on from my phone

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2015, 09:04:40 am »

I upgraded from 7 to 10 a couple of weeks ago. It got rid of a nasty virus I have had on the laptop and is faster to load and shut down. Okay, it may take a while to get used to it, but so far so good. It has a great little photo editing system, which is easy to use and very effective. All in all I am very pleased with it.
If your machine will take it, go for it. Once installed, if you don't like it, there is an option to return to your previous version if Windows, so nothing lost.

There is commentary on here, that reverting back is only available for a limited time, think it was 1 month.
 Has anyone tried to go back after a month or more????
Also to go back do you need to reinstall the operating system or is it like using the system restore function.
Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.