Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10?  (Read 91657 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10?.
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2015, 11:38:20 am »

I upgraded from 7 to 10 a couple of weeks ago. It got rid of a nasty virus I have had on the laptop and is faster to load and shut down. Okay, it may take a while to get used to it, but so far so good. It has a great little photo editing system, which is easy to use and very effective. All in all I am very pleased with it.
If your machine will take it, go for it. Once installed, if you don't like it, there is an option to return to your previous version if Windiws, so nothing lost.

AAAHH - but its only fast since its not yet bloated with the garbage they auto download - although, if they are going to just update to fix problems and never change the core software and run win X forever, then it may not get bloated and therefore slow down, but hey ever the optimist - cannot see that happening, and any reverting has to be within the 30 days
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10?
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2015, 01:49:56 pm »

30 days should be plenty of time to decide on its future on your computers.....and remember that if you keep it, ALL future updates are free, so nothing to lose really :-))

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2015, 12:27:27 am »

This PC has a totally separate XP and Win7 boot option. Only the W7 is aware of the net, so no worries about 'holes' in XP's security.

Why? Well, the XP side is totally stable and has been for several years when it was last reinstalled, and it has all of my music apps. I used to review them for the music press so I have a lot! These all work perfectly and I can boot into XP from startup with two clicks. 'Only' 32 bit and it can only 'see' half the RAM I have installed but it flies and does everything I want it to do.

I have recently shelled out a lot (around £1K) for the latest versions of my two major music apps (Cubase and Sibelius) that are 64 bit for running on W7, but I'll have to try all the 'virtual instruments' that I have, to see which ones work on W7. And guess what? W10 has 'broken' Cubase's technology to such an extent that they've told users not to upgrade. This technology (ASIO and VST) has been made freely available to the music app world and almost all music apps use them - so they're b****red too! As for Sibelius, total compatibility with W10 has not yet been confirmed, you're advise to wait, though some users are reporting no problems with their systems - so far.

As has been said before, there's no need to rush into W10. My son, senior IT tech at a large college (that still uses XP for the most part) won't even try it yet on his PCs. I might just try it on a 'spare' laptop that I can easily revert back to XP or W7. But not just yet!
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2015, 04:09:32 am »

Here is another question for the computer buffs O0 O0

I convert to W10 and then convert back to W7 within the 30 days, (how this is achieved I am not aware).

After several months W10 is now looking better, am I able to convert again to W10? or is it one bite of the cherry?????
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2015, 07:08:58 am »

I think It's a one off offer from Microsoft...
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2015, 10:47:48 pm »

Another issue I have found is that the picture software will rotate pictures , but when you try to upload them they revert back to the original rotation, or at least they do on a well known auction site..

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2015, 08:05:53 am »

Here is another question for the computer buffs O0 O0

I convert to W10 and then convert back to W7 within the 30 days, (how this is achieved I am not aware).

After several months W10 is now looking better, am I able to convert again to W10? or is it one bite of the cherry?????

I reverted back to Win7 a couple of days after installing Win 10, because of this involuntary shut down during boot up fault it had acquired. On booting up in Win 7 now, it still displays the win 10 download logo on the taskbar and the small window appearing telling me to reserve my download, so it would appear I am still eligible for the second cherry bite  :embarrassed:

As far as reverting back, it was pretty straight forward, following instructions I found on Google. I won't attempt to describe it here as my attempts will undoubtedly make it sound a far worse operation that it is !   O0

Mike

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2015, 09:30:40 am »

I've just had an email from Microsoft telling me I can download Windows 10...on my iPad. I don't think so...  %)
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2015, 10:29:59 am »

I reverted back to Win7 a couple of days after installing Win 10, because of this involuntary shut down during boot up fault it had acquired. On booting up in Win 7 now, it still displays the win 10 download logo on the taskbar and the small window appearing telling me to reserve my download, so it would appear I am still eligible for the second cherry bite  :embarrassed:

As far as reverting back, it was pretty straight forward, following instructions I found on Google. I won't attempt to describe it here as my attempts will undoubtedly make it sound a far worse operation that it is !   O0

Mike

Mike,

Thank you :-)) :-))

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2015, 12:01:06 pm »

If you look on the interwebs there are instructions on how to force the upgrade - I had to do it twice, first time it made the laptop unusable. Turned out is was the HP fingerprint reader software arguing with the windows one. A sneaky uninstall and happiness  broke out.

After 8.1 I was already to hate Windows 10 - Now I have used it some I am pleasantly surprised.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2015, 12:47:13 pm »

Here is a hidden extra for all those with Windows 10

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digital-life/computers/fears-windows-10-will-blow-data-caps-20150817-gj0i98.html

Suppose more will become apparent as time progresses.

In summary it recommends not to download at this time, which is consistent with recommendations by others and if downloaded to roll back.

Makes interesting reading.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2015, 02:37:35 pm »

I've just had an email from Microsoft telling me I can download Windows 10...on my iPad. I don't think so...  %)

Hey Rich,
I never took you for a wimp!!! %%  Go for it.....I think it is superb. Sure there are bound to be some teething problems, but all in all, I reckon it is the best Windows yet.. :-))

Just Add Water

« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2015, 04:47:03 pm »

Mac = no probs.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2015, 07:29:18 pm »

Here is a hidden extra for all those with Windows 10

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digital-life/computers/fears-windows-10-will-blow-data-caps-20150817-gj0i98.html

Suppose more will become apparent as time progresses.

In summary it recommends not to download at this time, which is consistent with recommendations by others and if downloaded to roll back.

Makes interesting reading.

Just trying to make news, I have had no Real issues with W10 that I have not had other issues with other OS systems, w10 is here to stay so embrace the power.. :-)

Now that is interesting, I can not click on the smiley icon but if I revert back to just the characters it works !! :-(

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2015, 08:50:28 pm »

I dont worry about data limits as I am on BT infinity 2 with no data cap, I know this to be true as my daughter went to work for BT, and as part of their training they looked up their internet usage, at one point we were using 1Tb of bandwidth per month (1000Gb /month).
Grendel

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2015, 07:57:49 pm »

I cannot upgrade my Windows 8.1 HP desktop as although the Windows App says my machine is fully compatible it contradicts itself by also saying that 'critical hardware components made by Intel for your PC don't have drivers for Windows 10 yet. Unhelpfully it won't tell you what those components are! Looking on the Net this is becoming an increasing problem with people tearing their hair out and no response from Microsoft, Intel or the big manufacturers except to run the Intel Driver Update Tool which everyone has done and which shows no drivers need updating! HP have their own driver update tool and that shows everything up to date as well.

By contrast Windows says it is happy to upgrade my Toshiba laptop but this is running Windows 7 which I might stick with.

Colin

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2015, 10:33:54 pm »

Mac = no probs.

No problems on OSX Doge either

deadbeat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2015, 12:06:25 am »

Does anyone have concerns regarding the privacy of your data if you accept the terms and conditions of Windows 10. Apparently, according to the press, if you accept the T&Cs you give Microsoft access to just about everything on your device and what you do on the web, including credit card info, contact lists, e-mails and content, texts, etc, etc. If you use that stupid thing Contana Microsoft also collect everything you say to it (apparently). You also give them permission to target you for ads and to sell your data on to third parties. The T&Cs are 45 pages long worth reading I think, how many have read them I wonder.

Could anyone put my mind at ease about this as I find this invasion of privacy appalling.

I'm not entitled to a free upgrade as I'm still on Vista (run in classic mode), but eventually I may have to go to W10 when I replace my PC.

Also Windows 10 automatically gives your wifi passwords to everyone on your contact list provided they are also on W10, this can be turned off, but why did they make it automatic enabled instead of requiring manual enablement???????

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2015, 10:41:03 am »

Don't think there anything new there really... it's just that Microsoft are being more up front about it!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2015, 10:58:06 am »

{:-{ :(( >:-o

You activate Windows 10

10 minutes after you deactivate.

It is too late, Windows 10 has already registered  all the data which he did not have of you      >>:-(

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2015, 02:25:07 pm »

welcome to 2015 less 372 months   %) :} {-)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2015, 06:12:21 pm »

I'm not entitled to a free upgrade as I'm still on Vista (run in classic mode)

You're using Vista and are worried about security issues? {-)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2015, 06:32:09 pm »

:-))

You're using Vista and are worried about security issues? {-)
{-) {-)

ixion

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2015, 07:41:53 pm »

No problems on OSX Doge either

Google Chrome, nooooooooooo!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2015, 09:21:16 pm »

OS X Doge

Many Speed, Very Graphics, Much Great, Cr*p Spielchicker  ok2
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.