Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10?  (Read 91678 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10?
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2015, 04:00:13 pm »

IE11 is noticeably faster than Edge too!

Colin

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2015, 04:21:40 pm »

I'll stick to my good old Linux Mint...  :-))
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2015, 04:44:38 pm »

%) :-)) ;) :} :D :embarrassed:

So it Does

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2015, 05:56:26 pm »

IE11 is noticeably faster than Edge too!

Colin
Edge is probably learning about you.  All about you.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2015, 06:14:54 pm »

Well its not doing a very good job as it should have learnt that we like to use the smiley faces  <*<

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2015, 06:28:44 pm »

I can't say I see any difference between IE and Edge. All I know is that my smiley faces - and the not-so-smiley faces - have gone and never called me Mother.

This is me pulling an unhappy face ..............................................................   Can you see it?
Disgruntled
Barry M
PS I made sure that the demon Microsoft's default of nabbing every bit of personal info was well and truly stuffed before I let Win 10 and Edge loose.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2015, 06:48:43 pm »

PS I made sure that the demon Microsoft's default of nabbing every bit of personal info was well and truly stuffed before I let Win 10 and Edge loose.

Me too!

Colin

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2015, 01:32:48 am »

Well its not doing a very good job as it should have learnt that we like to use the smiley faces  <*<

O0 O0 {-) {-) :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2015, 08:52:57 am »

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2015, 09:59:46 am »

Very interesting - and helpful - article. Thanks for that.

BM
(I'd give you a 'thumbs up' smiley if this system allowed it.)

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2015, 10:18:21 am »

:-))

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2015, 12:20:32 pm »

Thanks Nivapilot. :<)

BM

html

• Full Mayhemer
  • Gipping Valley Model Boat Club
« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2015, 04:26:37 pm »

I had problems upgrading, had to turn off AVG and eject both my portable hard drives. All went well after that, I have even resolved the requirement to log in with a password. Did not like the Edge web page so set it back to Google, PC definitely loads up faster.
Private info worries, Microsoft have been taking that info without telling us since Win95 they have just decided to come clean.
The slowest software to load strangely enough is any of the Office 2013 suite of software, it used to be much quicker under Win 7 Pro.

Brian
I do not suffer insanity, I quite like it!

GrahamD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2015, 06:17:03 pm »

Best thing I did was UNINSTALL it  {-)  (you only have 30 days to roll back to last OS, after that its more complex or total re-install)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: September 04, 2015, 07:07:03 pm »

Mine seems to be settling down OK now. Even the mail client seems to work well.

It's easy to rubbish it as a kneejerk reaction but if something goes wrong it's not necessarily Windows that is the problem. Other hardware and software suppliers don't always keep to the rules and you can't keep patching things up indefinitely to prop up legacy software, this is one reason for the complaints of 'bloatware' on previous versions. So far all my stuff seems to work fine with Windows 10 and the upgrade process was seamless. If you are pushing the envelope you are more likely to run into problems but mainstream stuff seems to be generally OK. I have seen complaints that the system will not support more than 500 simultaneous Apps and you think 'get a life, who needs 500 Apps?'. It's like those people who proudly claim to have 10,000 songs in their ITunes library - and have listened to only a tiny proportion of them.

Things do go wrong but a bit of intelligent problem solving can usually either fix them or give you a workaround. Those of us who have worked in IT know only too well just how difficult it can be to cater for all possible eventualities. Users have a genius for coming up with scenarios you would never have imagined! The important thing is to fix problems when they are identified and that is what Microsoft appears to be doing.

Colin

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #165 on: September 04, 2015, 08:01:50 pm »

Microsoft has its snout in everything now. Yesterday I had recourse to update my printer software, go online to HP to do it and I get a re-direct to the 'Store' to download an 'App' Trouble was to download the 'app' I had to give microsoft access to all my other software so that it could give me a 'master' password to use all my  software! This is with 8.1 so no way am I going to use win 10 until its absolutely the last thing to do.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: September 04, 2015, 08:20:21 pm »

Why do you need an App to do that Brian? Can't you just download the driver directly which is the usual method for most manufacturers. I have an HP computer and had to update a number of drivers for bits of internal hardware and an updated Bios but did it all from the HP website, never went anywhere near Microsoft. My printer is a relatively old Canon all in one and the Canon website said there were no W10 specific drivers and that the W8 ones should be OK which they seem to be at the moment.

Colin

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: September 04, 2015, 11:42:33 pm »

Best thing I did was UNINSTALL it  {-)  (you only have 30 days to roll back to last OS, after that its more complex or total re-install)

Using the link in reply 158, also has how to get back from Win10.

Also the main thrust is to sit and wait while early birders  sort out/find problems etc etc then if it all pans out update to win 10.

Their is also commentary in Oz PC mags that the early birds are actually testing a beta Win10.???

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #168 on: September 05, 2015, 08:29:55 am »

Why do you need an App to do that Brian? Can't you just download the driver directly which is the usual method for most manufacturers. I have an HP computer and had to update a number of drivers for bits of internal hardware and an updated Bios but did it all from the HP website, never went anywhere near Microsoft. My printer is a relatively old Canon all in one and the Canon website said there were no W10 specific drivers and that the W8 ones should be OK which they seem to be at the moment.

Colin

That's the problem Colin. My computer is a HP laptop, the printer is a HP laserjet. I put the disk that came with the printer in the computer and it prompted me to update online. Clicking the link I was re-directed from the  HP website to the 'Store' to download an 'app' which because it immediately popped up with Microsnot stuff I assume is a microsoft site. I've tried it 5 times up to now with the same result. I'll try again later to try and bypass it, but if not it can stay with its old software, it works so there is no reason to update it aside from the pop up telling me to do so.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: September 05, 2015, 12:01:50 pm »

Brian, I assume it is a new printer then. If it already works then you should just be able to go direct to the HP website http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/drivers.html and it should detect your device and automatically download any required driver updates - well, that's what should happen anyway! However, the new driver may simply update obscure features you never use.

RAAArtyGunner
Yes, it is usually best to sit back and let the 'leading edge' guys hit all the problems. However I think we should be fair to Microsoft. Putting together a new operating system is a horribly complex job and Windows 10 has reputedly been tested more than any previous version before being released. Calling it a Beta version is not altogether right as there are so many possible combinations of software and hardware that until it gets out in the wild there is no way to cover them all so it is inevitable that further discrepancies will be found and hopefully fixed.

To give an example, another website I belong to uses a freebie text editor which was developed for an earlier version of Internet Explorer and it doesn't work very well with the new Edge browser which comes with Windows 10. The reason is that Edge has ditched all the previous backwards compatibility settings in IE which allow older versions of software to continue working, the reasoning being that this will make Edge more efficient and quicker and that it isn't unreasonable to expect other software suppliers to keep up with the latest standards. So who do you blame?

Microsoft for releasing a browser that doesn't support legacy software?
The text editor software people for not updating their product (they may no longer be in business or have moved on to something more interesting)?
The website people who should perhaps have updated their site to use a different, more up to date text editor (but which may cause them knock on problems with their own system software)?

To give Microsoft credit, they do include the option to open legacy websites with IE11 which retains the compatibility options and which is also supplied with Windows 10 so that is one tolerable workaround. The other is to not use Edge at all and simply stay with IE11 which is what I am doing at the moment as I don't nee the extra features offered by Edge and on my PC it runs slower than IE11.

Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #170 on: September 05, 2015, 07:06:03 pm »

Just downloaded to try it.
 :-)) :-)) :-))
So far so good.
Just trying smileys.
And they work O0 O0 O0
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #171 on: September 06, 2015, 11:06:21 am »

Shhhh! don't say that Ned, you'll upset Barry and some others.... ;) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :}

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2015, 05:21:26 pm »

Too late - I've already read it! :<(  Definitely NOT smiling.

BM

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2015, 05:23:19 pm »

:-)) :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2015, 06:59:14 pm »

Yeah  <*< <*< <*<
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.