Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10?  (Read 91672 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Windows 10?
« Reply #225 on: November 20, 2015, 03:05:35 pm »

Check your Language setting  or Keyboard layout!

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/time-language-settings-windows-10

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #226 on: November 20, 2015, 04:16:35 pm »

Cheers Martin, all settings were as they should be, except the keyboard was US Querty so I changed it to UK Querty and that did the trick.

Still cannot use the smileys though.
Joe

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: November 20, 2015, 08:29:03 pm »

american keyboard layout, switch to english and it should be ok

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: November 20, 2015, 08:45:49 pm »

Cheers Martin, all settings were as they should be, except the keyboard was US Querty (so I changed it to UK Querty and that did the trick)

Still cannot use the smileys though.
Joe

????

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: November 20, 2015, 09:09:52 pm »

moral - read page 2 of posts before replying

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: November 20, 2015, 09:17:44 pm »

Thanks anyway Grendel.  :-))

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #231 on: November 21, 2015, 01:35:40 am »

Has it changed your keyboard from UK to USA style or vice versa?
I sometimes find that windows upgrades do this.

FsASTSyd1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: December 05, 2015, 09:31:22 am »

Anybody having a problem with the latest Win 10 update (KB3116908) try the attached, worked for me.
Syd J

http://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-fix-windows-10-cumulative-update-kb3116908-installation-issues-497114.shtml

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #233 on: December 05, 2015, 10:31:34 am »

Having issues with my Dad's laptop

Keeps saying that windows is not activated.  Very strange as it was upgraded from 8 through windows update and the windows 8 was the factory installed version.
More strange is that it says that is unable to connect to the corporate network, which apparently it needs to in order to activate successfully
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: December 05, 2015, 10:45:15 am »

With all these Windows issues it is best to do a general internet search as you will almost always find somebody else with the same problem as you.

And discover why it can't be fixed!  <:(

Colin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #235 on: December 05, 2015, 06:06:46 pm »

I upgraded several months ago. Had a home network on the old system (winxp) but it never really got used. I had my stepmother in law over from Australia a couple of months ago so thought I would get a now tv box and run that through the network. Problem is o cannot get a home group set up. Followed all the jn line advice ie turn sll other pcs off. It let's me start doing the jnitial set up but then says it cannot complete it as there is no homegroup ! Have spoken at length to MS who initially blamed it on the router (virgin superhub 2) spoke to virgin who said it's nothing yo do with them as I can connect to the j tenet etc. Any ideas?????
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Bowwave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #236 on: December 05, 2015, 06:53:41 pm »

Recently acted on the Microsoft prompts to down load windows 10. I have to confess after reading some of the problems encountered  I was rather hesitant  but  I took the chance pressed the  down load  button  and went away for two hours.  Returned to a superb set up. The system works and as it said all my windows 7 icons   and   the rest of my files are   exactly as I left them. The start-up page is different, the machine works faster and there are a number of features that are slightly different but they do the same job. All in all I’m very happy with the results.   :-))
Bowwave

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: December 05, 2015, 08:03:42 pm »

...... :o...."I had my stepmother in law over from Australia"....I think there lies your answer  {-)........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: December 06, 2015, 01:16:24 am »

Funnily enough, its happy again now... Windows is now activated again with no user intervention

Dad said when he shut it down this afternoon it did some updates, and this evening the activation warnings had gone

I checked and it is indeed activated again
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #239 on: December 06, 2015, 05:12:29 am »

Gunna build those other boats one day.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #240 on: December 06, 2015, 01:50:45 pm »

What I can't figure is why anyone would want to risk a stable computer setup with an early release into the complete unknown, possibly ending in disaster as many M/S systems have been wont to do.
Unless you are on XP and worried about them cutting off support, anything later have all been fraught with a series of calamities.
I have MS 8.1, which took a couple of weeks to get rid of it's mobile phone appearance and numerous other annoyances, and get it set up in a way that was at least useful. Still no answer to it's predilection for saving to "somewhere" invisible in a cloud by default.
An operating system is merely the workbench on which your useful tools reside.
To date M/S still can't decide whether to replace IE11 with Edge, Spartan, or just keep IE11 "temporarily".
Frankly, best wait till Sept 2016 (free until then) before making any decision, to at least give M/S the chance to fix the many problems still being reported and with updates on an almost daily basis.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: December 06, 2015, 06:10:14 pm »

My PC still crashes intermittently with Internet Explorer in use but not Firefox. No idea why.

Colin

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #242 on: December 06, 2015, 07:01:36 pm »

It's been a couple of weeks since I got an offer to download windows 10, as it was my oldest laptop that was prone to freezing on a regular basis I thought I'd give it a try, left it for a couple of hours and came back to what seemed like a new laptop, it's faster hasn't frozen in two weeks, all I can say is so far so very good, there is a learning curve to new features etc. And had to change from the American querty key board, But I'm happy with it. :-))

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #243 on: December 12, 2015, 11:12:41 am »

Where is my hard disk?

New Dell PC arrived yesterday - it has installed a 256GB SSD drive, 2TB Hard disk and a DVD drive.

I can see the hard disk physically in the PC case and the BIOS also recognises it.

Windows 10 - Devices and drives(2)  ( both in system devices and file explorer)
- OS(C:) - 256GB SSD
- BD-Rom Drive (H:)

I am doubting my sanity where is the hard disk - it's as though Windows 10 doesn't know it exists? Have I missed some great new Windows 10 feature (this is my first experience of the new OS) or have my good friends at Dell worked their black magic? I have a nagging feeling that this may have something to do with RAID  -  but we will see...

Any help/pointers much appreciated
Jonathan

Raen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #244 on: December 12, 2015, 11:33:53 am »

Where is my hard disk?

New Dell PC arrived yesterday - it has installed a 256GB SSD drive, 2TB Hard disk and a DVD drive.

I can see the hard disk physically in the PC case and the BIOS also recognises it.

Windows 10 - Devices and drives(2)  ( both in system devices and file explorer)
- OS(C:) - 256GB SSD
- BD-Rom Drive (H:)

I am doubting my sanity where is the hard disk - it's as though Windows 10 doesn't know it exists? Have I missed some great new Windows 10 feature (this is my first experience of the new OS) or have my good friends at Dell worked their black magic? I have a nagging feeling that this may have something to do with RAID  -  but we will see...

Any help/pointers much appreciated
Jonathan

Jonathan it sounds to me like either the drive is not formatted or it is unassigned in the operating system.
See here and here for more possible ideas on how to fix this issue.

Note: I am still on Win 7, the second link is a guide to change drive letters in the win 7 operating system however I assume the method would be similar in Win 10.

Cheers, Tim.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #245 on: December 12, 2015, 02:47:36 pm »

I 'm following Bob's advice concerning W10 and leaving my W7 well alone. I am a total numpty when it comes to puters. (It's snowing in Newcastle as I type.)      Perky

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #246 on: December 13, 2015, 10:54:41 am »

if you cant see a hard disc, go to 'This PC' 0pen that then look along the top ribbon for manage and click that. once it opens you want disc manager. this will show you all the hard drives including their formatting state and the drive letter they are assigned.
occasionally a hard drive will get the same drive letter assigned as another, then you will just see the one.
disc management will allow you to format a hard drive, and or change the drive letter assigned to it.
Grendel

g6swj

• Full Mayhemer
  • Short Wave Jammer! -.-
« Reply #247 on: December 13, 2015, 11:31:26 am »

Hi Grendel/Tim,
Thank you for pointers. It's a real mystery to me - drive appears in BIOS but not in any disk management function of windows 10. I am pretty familiar with IT and have a windows XP, vista and 7 pro PC on my desk but wanted to move these on with one new faster PC.

I will with some dread phone dell support tomorrow and I'll post the resolution on here

Jonathan

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #248 on: December 21, 2015, 01:19:48 pm »

Just had an update to Windows 10 and now when playing games in the Microsoft Solitaire suite I keep getting a popup window telling me "Display driver stopped responding and has now recovered."  Except that it hasn't because the screen has frozen.  Only way out is to close the window and reopen it (when it gives me back the game I was playing and I can carry on).

I know playing games isn't terribly important in the grand scheme of things and this is simply annoying, but clearly something isn't right.  Before I go trawling around in the great ocean of Microsft issues, is there anyone here who can offer an explanation or solution, or at least tell me they get the same thing?  Or is it just me?  {:-{

Greg

Cornishman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2015, 04:40:48 pm »

Did you make sure all you drivers were up to date before upgrading to Windows 10?
There is a program on the internet that will check and update all your drivers, but I cannot remember what it was called.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.