Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10?  (Read 91707 times)

Captain Povey

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 10?
« Reply #300 on: March 12, 2016, 08:20:52 pm »

I have been getting messages that there is a missing internet protocol on my system. It seems to be the reason my internet connection has to be refreshed regularly. Some 'googling' has suggested it is a Windows 10 / IE issue. There are many suggested fixes but none seem to have worked. I don't know enough about this but it can be annoying. Graham

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #301 on: March 12, 2016, 08:33:53 pm »

Un-updated windows versions have an end of support date getting nearer on a daily basis.  Updating to W10 is only free for a few more months.  It does work better than either of its predecessors even if there is a bit of unwanted dross loaded with it, which is removable.  It is no longer an "experiment" for pretty much everybody, but a fully working system that does seem to work faster on the same hardware. 
I really can't think what might be wrong with Captain Podges machine, but something is.  Maybe something plugged in a USB hole that it keeps trying to reboot from? All of mine I simply pressed the "yes, go ahead" button and let it do its thing, apart from the bit where preferences get set.  Just seen the new post - maybe using a wifi connection instead of being hard wired to the router? 
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Captain Povey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #302 on: March 12, 2016, 08:40:15 pm »

That's a good point Malcolm as its my wifi connected laptop that has the problem. :-))

Stavros

« Reply #303 on: March 12, 2016, 09:41:55 pm »

I find this so puzzling to be honest with all of you....I am a total computer NUMPTY believe you me and have never had a moments trouble with WIN 10 and it is far far superior than anything I have used in the past.Both out lap tops are on it both update as they should...both not only boot up but close down a lot faster than the old systems....So how come is everyone have so so much trouble.....must be that going into the workings of it totally screws it up.....if it aint broke and even if you think you know what you are doping then don't try and fix a problem that don't excist....us eit and LEARN how to use it SImples

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #304 on: March 12, 2016, 10:16:27 pm »

Dave, you and some others are lucky as you have a computer setup which closely matches the ideal Windows 10 setup and so you don't have any problems. Unfortunately other people have different configurations of hardware and software. Computers have different chipsets, graphics cards and the manufacturers usually have their own bespoke software drivers so there is an almost unlimited number of combinations and some of those cause problems when you try to run them under a new operating system. After I upgraded to W10 I found that Internet Explorer kept on crashing and that is actually supplied by Microsoft. I then swapped to Firefox as a browser and that seemed to work reasonably well until earlier this week when Windows did an update and Firefox also updated. Now Firefox crashes all the time so I am back to Internet Explorer! Believe me it is very frustrating as it is almost impossible to pin down the cause of the problem.

Colin

Stavros

« Reply #305 on: March 12, 2016, 10:37:42 pm »

My Lap top isnt anything special at all Colin just a run of the mill Dell E5400 you see it is all very well  having all these posh fast thingyss and graphic cards that are supposed to do this and that but the truth lies in SIMPLICITY...Creating you own bespoke lap top /home computer set up's have a serious downside ...and that is exactly the problem everyone is having....it is exactly like a home builder creating a car with an engine from a ford gbox off Vauxhall etc....when something goes wrong then you have problems ce la vi...........

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #306 on: March 12, 2016, 10:48:05 pm »

Dave,

My PC is a bog standard HP from Curry's which is why I am annoyed that it doesn't work the way it should. But even on 'standard' machines, the internal components are changing all the time so you still get glitches. I suppose I ought to be used to it having been involved in programming for a large part of my career. When we first put in a local area network in our office way back when, we actually did all the wiring and set up the servers ourselves including swapping disk drives and setting up tape backups. All good fun at the time. No Windows then, it was all MSDOS (which is still lurking under the surface even today!)

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #307 on: March 12, 2016, 11:11:08 pm »

From my own experience

I built my own pc back in 2006
Pent 4 Quad Chip  ( Really do need to upgrade !!)
Currently on 200mb Broad Band ( Which is probably killing it more than any upgrade )
Just the basic Graphics card
HP Wireless Printer

Os is XP original , upgraded to W7, Upgraded to W8 then W8.1 then upgraded to W10..

Other than the fact it still !! does not let me use the Emicons and on some forums if you press return when typing it jumps to the top of the page, ( Both sortable by using IE, rather than Edge) I have " Touch Wood"  have had no real issues.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2016, 08:53:41 am »

HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.