Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Aussie Wildlife  (Read 12158 times)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aussie Wildlife
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 09:31:20 am »

{:-{
 :((
 >:-o >:-o >:-o
On this road there is no bistrots (bar)

But, as Peter said, they are only 8 kilometres away,  O0 O0 so it is not long if you are pedalling very fast %) %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 10:01:33 am »

But, as Peter said, they are only 8 kilometres away,  O0 O0 so it is not long if you are peddling very fast %) %) %)

But when you get there they only have Fosters....

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 11:27:52 pm »

Only Victorians drink Fosters, I can't stand it. Most pubs, even out here, serve a wide variety of beers, from local to international - all ice cold :-))

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 12:55:45 am »

You are correct Peter......we deported Fosters along with Sir Les Patterson [to the UK] some years ago O0......we thought it was pay back time  {-)

Here in Wollongong they don't even sell that dreaded ;D  drop ..... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 03:19:18 am »

You didn't hear it from me that there is a Fosters Brewery at Yatala south of Beenleigh, O0  O0 which is about a 45 minute drive south of Brisbane.

In an earlier life it was called Powers Brewery.

http://www.brewsnews.com.au/2010/01/yatala-brewery-still-powering-along/

Yatala is also well known for its meat pies.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 03:33:11 am »

The brewery is owned by the Fosters Group, but the principal brands produced there are VB, Carlton Draught, Pure Blonde and Crown Lager. They also make Kilkenny Draught under licence.

None of the above has anything to do with Aussie wild life, unless some of the locals have drunk too much of the brewery's products {-)

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2015, 09:08:45 am »

Do you get a lot of roadkill out there Peter, I would imagine that colliding with a kangaroo could cause a lot of damage to both parties. And it must be a bit of a shock to come across a gut spilled flattypus.  %)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2015, 12:46:51 am »

Yes, Colin, there is a lot of roadkill in rural areas, particularly kangaroos and wallabies. Collision with a roo, especially a big one, can cause considerable damage to a car, and is usually fatal to the roo. On our trip earlier this year, while travelling between Cunnamulla, near the Queensland / NSW border, and Bourke in western NSW, we saw the remains of dead roos on an average every 100 metres. Most of the remains were little more than desiccated skin and bones, and were quite old, but there was still a number of fresh kills from the previous night - most collisions with wildlife occur at night, with dawn and dusk being the worst times. Most of the deaths of roos etc on country roads are caused by heavy vehicles such as semi-trailers, B-doubles and road trains. These vehicles don't stop quickly and, as they are fitted with bull bars, just keep going, to attempt to avoid a roo could cause an accident. In some areas, emus are a problem, and they, too, can cause a lot of damage to vehicles.

I never travel in roo country at night in a car, it's not worth the risk, but during my coach driving days it was often necessary. I did hit a number of roos, they can suddenly decide to cross the road just as you approach, and there's no time to stop. BTW, it would be almost unheard of to hit a platypus, as they are aquatic, very shy, and rarely seen.

Peter.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2015, 10:06:24 am »

An example of how road kill easily occurs

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2015, 05:08:28 pm »

I remember on a run ashore in Sydney in the '70's, the 4-8 watch met some extremely wild life in King's Cross. Fighting it off in hand-to-hand combat took some time and the 12-4 were very lucky to be relieved on time. Oh memories.....

BM

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2015, 05:18:11 pm »

Had the same trouble in Fremantle   {-) {-) {-)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2015, 05:31:52 am »

Having done wild life photography for nearly three decades I was fortunate enough to never have hit any animals, that is until last month when driving home from the shop all of a sudden there was a deer not two feet from my windshield. I was going about 70k & sadly I had no chance to miss her. I stopped & went back to see her, she was already dead, so nothing to do but report it. The strange thing was I was more upset with killing the deer than the damage to my van. I am still not over the shock & sad feeling it left me with, I can't imagine what it would be like if it had been a person. Mick B.
Mick B.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2015, 06:33:56 am »

BM, I also remember the Cross wild life. It was funny to see them in their working gear next day down in No. 2 tween deck!
Jerry.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2015, 09:06:24 am »

Your wild life must have had small differences from the specimens we encountered.....

Barry M

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2015, 11:17:04 pm »

boneash

• Full Mayhemer
  • In an actual war zone there are 2 types of ships,
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 12:45:23 am »

what stupid critters, they appear to be.

What were the ones finding to eat on the road tarmac in your previous picture?

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2015, 03:33:40 am »

My wife and I have just done 23.000 kilometres around this country of ours, (Australia) and we estimated that there were at least a hundred and fifty dead roos on the road per day, this trip took well over a year and a half, so you can just imagine the kangaroo numbers that are in Aus........
I try not to be naughty but nautical

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 05:15:48 am »

Well boneash...it is well known that the size of the brain of the Kangaroo specie is distinctly smaller than that of homo-sapiens.....however some examples of human beings display a clearly lower level of thought or intelligence than a few kangas I have known :-) over the past 50 years

Further I would not suggest that kangas display any form of stupidity, but are simply the product of mother natures and evolutions creation

cbr900... disappointingly on our ABC television last night, we witnessed a report of a kangaroo plague proportion in Northern Queensland and the towns folk wanted barbed razor wire fences installed around their properties to stop the kangas bounding in & eating the crops from 'their' the farmers land

It certainly was a disgrace  >>:-(  on the part of the ABC journalist suggesting that the farmers owned their land.....as the kangas have been bounding about in this land for many thousands of years before whiteman invaded 'their' land .... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 07:13:55 am »

what stupid critters, they appear to be.

What were the ones finding to eat on the road tarmac in your previous picture?

It is not uncommon to find grain growing along the road edges or spilt onto the roadway during the various harvest times and the type of grain being grown.
Also the edges of roadways often have grass growing due to overnight dew etc.
Hence why they are a big problem for traffic because they come to the roads to eat <*< <*< <*< instead of staying in the scrub.

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 09:49:42 am »

I was just perusing this post and thought you guys might be interested in this, http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/3393267/two-vaccinated-narawntapu-devils-killed-by-car/
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

tritsch

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2015, 10:14:24 am »

When people talk about kangaroos living on this land for thousands of years we should be careful about what is meant by that.  A landowner near us grew up in this district and his widow was telling us how he regularly used to get the train to Sydney.  After one trip in the 50s he got home and was quite excited to tell her that he had seen a grey kangaroo from the train, the first he had seen in the district. 

There are now thousands of them round here despite the culls. It's only about 160 years ago that Europeans started to live here and as they moved in they dug dams  and of course that provided water to  kangaroos and other animals.  In a similar way sulphur-crested cockatoos moved here as both water was provided and oats and wheat planted and provided feed, now they can be a pest.

When we first moved here to our 'hobby farm' we never saw crested pigeons, 20 years later there is now a permanent population of about 20-30. 

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2015, 11:16:59 pm »

Couldn't agree more Tritsch, see my earlier post in this topic, post #12.

Sorry to disagree Derek, but the farmers actually do own their land (unless it's leased) and they would all have title deeds to prove it. The drought in the outback is causing kangaroos and other wildlife, to go looking for food, and where better to go than to a farm with crops and carefully managed pasture for them to eat. Pre white settlement they would have died anyway as there would have been no improved pasture or crops, so some culling may well be necessary - and justified.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 11:45:25 pm »

I understand your words Peter ...and of course I acknowledge the farmers own their land.......[well the top soil anyway]

It was just the arrogance of the ABC journo that seemed inappropriate

However a more recent form of OZ 'wildlife' are the Board members of Gas exploration companies who continue to FRAK the substrate at the expense of the million year old underground aquifers which supply bore water for cropping

Simply saying they have Governmental law on their side doesn't necessarily mean the final result of pumping gas into the grid is to the advantage of our nations people

One of our larger energy utilities [Origin] introduced a GREEN $12.00 surcharge to my quarterly gas invoice without asking me if I wanted GREEN gas....now just because I pay by direct debit, I would never think that they hoped I would not notice the surcharge O0

Interestingly Origin could not confirm to me how they could validate that the gas supplied to me had a GREEN component

These are the newer white collar crime <*< version of OZ wildlife.......... Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

boneash

• Full Mayhemer
  • In an actual war zone there are 2 types of ships,
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2015, 11:54:18 pm »

Or more fittingly LOWLIFE !!

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2015, 12:45:27 am »

I understand your words Peter ...and of course I acknowledge the farmers own their land.......[well the top soil anyway]

It was just the arrogance of the ABC journo that seemed inappropriate

However a more recent form of OZ 'wildlife' are the Board members of Gas exploration companies who continue to FRAK the substrate at the expense of the million year old underground aquifers which supply bore water for cropping

Simply saying they have Governmental law on their side doesn't necessarily mean the final result of pumping gas into the grid is to the advantage of our nations people

One of our larger energy utilities [Origin] introduced a GREEN $12.00 surcharge to my quarterly gas invoice without asking me if I wanted GREEN gas....now just because I pay by direct debit, I would never think that they hoped I would not notice the surcharge O0

Interestingly Origin could not confirm to me how they could validate that the gas supplied to me had a GREEN component

These are the newer white collar crime <*< version of OZ wildlife.......... Derek

for an extra $12 I would tel them you want gold plated gas

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.