Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any help in identifying this will be appreciated...  (Read 3574 times)

Kev_B

• Shipmate
Any help in identifying this will be appreciated...
« on: August 01, 2015, 04:29:16 pm »

Hi.
I've recently acquired a yacht and need help in identifying the model, class etc so I can work out what I need to replace in terms of missing rigging, shrouds etc. It appears to me to be a mixture of things that someone got part way through marrying together and then stopped so any help in identifying any of it will be greatly appreciated. It looks like it started life as a free sailing boat, the rc looks like a fairly recent addition.

It's a long time since I have sailed a model yacht, over 40 years to be precise... hahaha. My uncle made me one when I must've been around 8 or 9 but unfortunately at that age I didn't look after it properly and it didn't last, nothing to do with the quality of the boat, he built good boats, just my early age, sadly.
I lost contact with my uncle a long time ago, I don't really know why, I think it was a silly family fall-out, but I thought of him as soon as I saw this yacht and, although it doesn't appear to be of the same hull design that I recognise from him, I had to have it because it made that connection for me. Even though I know it isn't one of his, it still made me think of him, probably as it is an identical colour to the one he made me. I then tried to trace him via the internet for the benefit of his wisdom and in a hope it would bring us back together... Sadly I discovered that he had passed away sometime earlier this year...
Some of you may know him, his name was John Gale.

Anyway, as I said, any help in identifying the hull, rigging, sails etc will be appreciated as it will give me an idea of what should be there that isn't.

It's 50" long, 11.25" beam and 80" from keel to top of the mast.
The mast is keel-stepped (if that's the right term).
The sails have W H Jones on them.
The mast has no spreader nor any signs of one having been there at all.
The booms have a form of thumbscrew micro-adjuster at the ends and therefore nowhere for a leach line to be attached on the jib (hope I've got my terms correct.... hahaha)

Pictures speak a thousand words, so here we go...

It'll be a project for me, to teach myself about rigging and then ultimately sailing.
As I said, it appears as though the sails are possibly from a different boat, they don't seem 'right' but hopefully, once everything is sorted they will at least make it sail in a fashion...

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions (polite ones... hehe)

Kev.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Any help in identifying this will be appreciated...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 06:40:25 pm »

I would say you have a very nice old Marblehead .

More knowlegeable members may recognise the
hullshape to put a name.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 07:52:45 pm »

50" makes a Marblehead, & it looks like a Vic Smeed Genie. Not many hard chine Marbleheads around. Keel looks different though.
Jim

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 08:40:13 pm »

Could be an old 'China Boy' Marblehead - this has a canoe stern and hard chine construction the same as the model in question.

regards Paul

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 08:47:21 am »

Hi all, I have China Boy plans I will check.  This is an RC version, the Vic Smeed Marblehead has vane control.
regards Roy

Kev_B

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 09:58:12 pm »

Thanks for all the replies  :-)

I've managed to find a small pic of a China Boy (that sounds so wrong... haha) and it does appear to be the same from what I can see in the pic, although I can't see the full boat.
I now need to find a rigging plan so I can replace the missing parts and get it functional... 
Do all Marbleheads have the same rigging setup or can it vary from design to design?
Both the sails have WH Jones on them and are marked B, does this have any significance to anything?

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 10:50:47 pm »

Suits of sails were prob marked A ,B,C,D,E    with E being the smallest suit used...ie Storm set....So B set would be in effect 1 down form being the largest set used.
If you send the mast length,front boom and rear boom length so a company like Sail Sec they would be able to help you with a new set of sails

As for the rigging frim your pics it would seem that it is the same rigging as I used to have on a Marbelhead....If you want to replace your rigging shrouds then you need some Wire trace form a fishing shop....I usully use the 100lb breaking strain one

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.