Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introducing Myself  (Read 2132 times)

collis

• Shipmate
  • Not sunk it yet
Introducing Myself
« on: July 27, 2015, 12:29:11 pm »

Hi all, I wanted to drop by and say HI  :-))  before I start harassing you with build questions and stories of how I'll probably sink my boats in the bath/Parents Hot Tub during sea trials.

I'm from Cardiff in sunny (if that's what they call rain) South Wales.

I have 2 boats, 1 that is going to be built and the other is more an update/restoration project.

My first project will be to build/retrofit a fibre glass test/sample hull that I was given some time ago by my grandfather who was a boat builder in his youth and happened to have a few test boats that are built from fibre glass (i think it's modeled on a pleasure boat of sorts).
My plan for it, is to first re-reinforce it with wood battons to give it some structural support and an internal ridged frame, install all RC kit and powered by twin jets with a bow thruster (it's quite long) then it will be down to editing the cabin - installing lights and a solar panel on the roof to power the inboard lights (and maybe the RC kit if it's powerful enough) as well as paint it all up and make it all look pretty.

My Second project will be to restore and modernise an old boat that I was given as well. This was custom built my my late great uncle and has some sentimental value to the family as it was one of his prides that he built whilst working on the light houses.
It's built from wood mostly with some sort of plastic covering around it to give some protection and a manual rudder that you fix into position before running - I intend to strip it back to bear wood, re-varnish/paint and decorate it and install new servos and motors (currently none fitted) to make the rudder remote controlled and power up the propeller (thankfully all the shafts etc are still there). Then I have to rebuild the cabin as unfortunately over the years, the glue has degraded and everything has fallen apart on the upper deck.

I also have a small Pilot boat that myself and my Grandfather built some time ago that I may re-configure to be remote controlled instead of just static (currently built for a pond).

So would any of you ever consider my ambitious plans or am I completely barking mad?
Where would any of you purchase things like decorations for your Boats though? IE like life ring,s running frames and general stuff to make it look real.
Sinkings so far: 0
Dead Batteries so Far: 0
...Yep they haven't even left the house

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Introducing Myself
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 01:20:06 pm »

Hi Collis and welcome to the site. Your plans sound fine to me and will give you an excellent introduction to our hobby.  Once you work out the scale of your hulls then finding the correct size fittings for each of them should not be to difficult with a bit of research. Have a good look on the site here and find similar builds and use these as a guide for completion. Having hulls ready made is half the battle. Good luck.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:45:59 pm »

{-)     {-)    you're gonna fit right in here on Mayhem!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

collis

• Shipmate
  • Not sunk it yet
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 02:25:57 pm »

Hi Collis and welcome to the site. Your plans sound fine to me and will give you an excellent introduction to our hobby.  Once you work out the scale of your hulls then finding the correct size fittings for each of them should not be to difficult with a bit of research. Have a good look on the site here and find similar builds and use these as a guide for completion. Having hulls ready made is half the battle. Good luck.

Thanks, I'll post pictures and measurements at some point when I begin to work on them.
In order to keep my partner happy (and so that I can work on them in the house ) i'm going to be building these with my son, nothing like a little father/son bonding time.

collis

• Shipmate
  • Not sunk it yet
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 02:37:12 pm »

Quote from: Martin

{-)     {-)    you're gonna fit right in here on Mayhem!   :-))

Thanks, thought I would.

Luckily for me I have 2 lakes near me, 1 that specifically has a model boating club going there (battery only though) at Roath Park (Cardiff Marine Modellers run from here), the other is Hendre Lake - a small local lake that happens to be nice and quiet.
When I first run anything I'll be using a nice long line for the oh... *!$? moment when you need to get the boat back in and cant...
I intend to drop a pin to lock down the upper deck straight down to the keel so that in the event of a sinking i can retrieve it easier, but first I have to plan and build it.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 04:12:19 pm »

Remember to always put the top back on the super glue bottle or you might just get real "bonding" time   {-)

Bob
Officially a GOG.

collis

• Shipmate
  • Not sunk it yet
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 09:19:02 am »

Remember to always put the top back on the super glue bottle or you might just get real "bonding" time   {-)

Bob
So THAT'S what i've been doing wrong all this time.
I did wonder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 22 queries.