Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why we do it  (Read 2100 times)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Why we do it
« on: August 02, 2015, 03:28:07 pm »

Yesterday I was with my club attending the Blackpool RNLI open day hoping to gather a bit of interest for the hobby. 
Half way through the afternoon there was a flurry of activity.  It appeared that 3 people had indulged themselves by jumping off the Central Pier into rough cold water of uncertain depth and a falling tide.  Within minutes, two inshore boats had been launched, and three very lucky idiots had been rescued. 
Hardly had the boats been recovered than a report of some children getting into difficulty in front of the lifeboat station came in.  Two crewmen, still suited, grabbed a floating stretcher, ran down to the beach and recovered the children who were on the point of being in real trouble.
As a club, we support the RNLI.  It leaves a good feeling to be in a building with real heroes and know that you are helping, maybe not by much, but helping.

http://rnli.org/NewsCentre/Pages/Blackpool-RNLI-volunteers-rescue-six-people-during-family-fun-day.aspx

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Kids these days?!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 03:44:29 pm »

The 'Big Brands' don't sell "Common Sense" Malcolm, so it's not a valued commodity!

Is part of the issue that kids these days have very little practical experience of the real world?
Kids living vicariously(?) through computer screens have no concept of real danger.
And in this litigious world,   'don't worry, it's someone else's fault!'

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Why we do it
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 04:09:20 pm »

The kids were probably indulging in a bit of paddling that developed into a bit of splashing and wading that developed into trouble.
The oafs who volunteered to jump off the pier, however, were probably fueled by testosterone and stupidity, whether braced by pints or miiligrams, I don't know.  I do know that some of the watching crowd, on their return, were offering suggestions, most centered on "Chuck 'em back" and suggestions that they worked in finance (sounded like bankers).
There was a great sense of relief, in both cases, that they were rescues, not recoveries.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 07:04:20 pm »

Unfortunately, they don't think about the life and well being of the rescuer(s), which they are putting at risk.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 07:44:42 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 08:15:30 pm »

..... they don't think

No, unfortunately they don't, but it isn't always down to stupidity. Apparently certain neural pathways in the brain don't fully develop until the early 20s and before that there is an inability to fully appreciate the consequence of risky actions. That is why youngsters, especially boys, are so prone to having car accidents just after learning to drive. (most lower rank soldiers also fall into this category - hence the need for discipline!)

So it isn't something which can be 'cured'.

Colin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 11:36:48 pm »

Martin, unfortunately common sense is not very common these days %)

Peter.

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 08:55:49 am »

...when I did my Sociology degree over 12 years ago, they were referring to Common Sense now as Mundane Reason, its a modern paradigm of Sociological thought. I tend to practise common sense, as a parent it saves countless arguments.

Robert
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.