Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deansmarine HMS Bronington  (Read 6291 times)

martinfbrown

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Deansmarine HMS Bronington
« on: August 06, 2015, 09:08:17 am »

Hi,
       Has anyone on the forum built the Deansmarine Bronington? I have the kit, it is a good kit, with plenty of detail, it has its faults, but not bad ones. I have just sorted out the radio gear, and next I need to do a radio and float test in my pond, and then I can start the actual building of the model.
Martin

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Deansmarine HMS Bronington
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:36:49 am »

I know I'd like to see some pictures!  I love the Ton class and have the 1/38th scale version on my list.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

martinfbrown

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 09:46:51 am »

Hi,
       At present, I am still working on the install of the radio gear, but I will try and post some photos when I get the chance.
Martin

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 02:53:30 pm »

I believe there was a Ton class  that was abandoned, either on Teeside or Wearside, some years ago. Unfortunately I cannot recall it's location.

martinfbrown

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 03:53:13 pm »

I think it was HMS Kellington on the Tees at Stockton. I was in the Royal Navy Reserve at HMS Calliope on the Tyne in the late 70's early 80's.
Martin

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 03:55:40 pm »

You might be thinking about HMS Kellington.  She was de-commissioned in 1993 and given to the Sea Scouts for a training ship.  Allowed to fall into disrepair she began to sink and was broken up in situ in 2009 at Stockton on Tees.
HMS Bronington, one time command of the Prince of Wales, is "preserved" in Birkenhead but looks to suffer the same fate as Kellington unless  a drastic overhaul is carried out.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

martinfbrown

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 03:57:41 pm »

Who makes the 1/38th scale version of the Ton Class? thanks
Martin

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 04:01:23 pm »

I bought the hull at a Bring and Buy so I don't know the maker.  I've been told that the mould is in the hands of a company that still trading but the guy I bought it off couldn't remember which one.  It was original sold as 1/35th but it's a "box scale"  model.  The original maker made all his hulls 48" long because they would fit in his car that way.  It meant that most of the boats came out at some whacky scale.

Keith Bell

• Shipmate
  • L.E. Grainne. / H.M.S. Oulston.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 05:03:36 pm »

Hi
I have a Deans Bronington just started about 5 years ago and untouched since, someday maybe she will get wet.
Have a look at sirmarfittings HMS Nurton

http://www.sirmarfittings.com/nurton.html

Keith

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 07:03:24 pm »

Unfortunately TailUK is correct as to the fate HMS Bronnington at Birkenhead , She's been shunted out of sight & reach at the sand berth . . . .

Someone keeps opening the deck hatches , the Marine Cadet's are closing them on a weekly basis . . .

I think it's only the mooring lines that's stopping her going over . . .

If you look past the trees & vegetation you may get a usable view of the fittings.
Well at least it wont be going to India or Turkey , there's nothing in it for them
Bill  <:( [size=78%] [/size]

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 07:40:23 pm »

Well it looks like Bronnington will have the same fate as Kellington. I'm wondering what is the condition of her wooden hull. 

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 06:15:33 pm »

Last report I saw was that she's on the cusp of being savable if Peel Holdings would get their finger out and let someone take her.  The Type 12 went to the scrapper the U Boat ended up chopped into four pieces so people could see more easily.  The LCT was saved but that was the good news. imsinking's right the only reason Bronington hasn't been sold off is that she not worth very much.  Peel Holding can't turn a profit so they'll let her rot!

madrob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 07:43:25 pm »

I have a 1/38 ton and my hull came from models by design
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.