Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lettering  (Read 7476 times)

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
  • Too young to know, too impatient to wait.
Lettering
« on: August 06, 2015, 07:49:07 pm »

Howdy folks, some of you may be following my Carol Moran build and its nearing completion but I need help with the lettering. I printed her name and port of call on word and hopefully just cut them out with a hobby knife then paint with white. Is this viable or is there better options out there?

Tex
Built-Carol Moran 1/72 (still tweaking)

irons01

• Full Mayhemer
  • 1/72 HMS Hambledon built and sailing....
    • Facebook build page
Re: Lettering
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 09:28:30 pm »

Could you use brass letters on a back board (easier to paint and waterproof), perhaps scalelink: http://www.scalelink.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=letters&PN=Smiths_Components_for__OO__%2ehtml#aWTSA10  (2/3 of the way down the page)

Ian

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:59:59 pm »

Many people here in the US use Callie Graphics,

http://www.callie-graphics.com

Callie does excellent work at a very cheap price.  She did the names and such on two of my boats.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 05:48:12 am »

Alphabet pasta noodles...

Glue in place, and sand down the thickness, then laquer and paint.

%)

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 06:11:44 am »

Hello Umi

Alphabet pasta noodles...

{-)

When I was child, writing my name in the soup plate it was always difficult for me to find a X

On my little boat I use vinyl letter stickers.

Xtian

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 04:02:25 pm »

Thanks for the info everyone! Gonna take a look at callie-graphics and then if I dont like it I'll do the alphabet Umi  ok2

Tex

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 06:48:39 pm »

You can get decal paper to go in home printers, either laser or inkjet (ebay - or staples). You print the text you want on the paper, then spray a light clearcoat of laquer over the text. Then cut out your word and immerse for a few seconds in water. You have just made your own waterslide decal! Place where you want pat it dry with kitchen towel or toilet tissue. Then overspray with another clearcoat to seal it in.

It actually takes longer to explain than to actually make them. Whats more you can print any text you like, you are not limited to commercial ones. Also ship company logo's etc can be printed as well.

CaptTex

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 07:12:20 pm »

Hmmm Brian that's pretty interesting! I might look into that if Callies is too high, turns out they can't print smaller than 17 size font so I don't know if the Moran will be able to take that large of letters are the stern above the skeg.

Tex

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 07:43:34 pm »

Hello Brian

Have you a reference or an internet link for your decal paper ?  I used one few years ago, the price was prohibitive for a bad quality decal !

Xtian

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 07:58:34 pm »

Hi Christian, I`ve had good results with this stuff. Makes nice old style waterslide transfers (decals) Be sure to choose either transparent OR white background, full instructions come with each sheet.  Needs to be sprayed to waterproof the image, I use automotive spray-can acrylic . Wait till dry, overnight is safer.  sales@craftycomputerpaperpaper.co.uk    Tel 0116 274 4755. Fax 0116 269 0965  Hmmm website isn't working for me. Here is the postal address, Crafty Computer Paper, Hamilton House, Mountain Road, Leicester LE4 9HQ England.
..well can you land on this?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 08:51:54 pm »

Hi Christian, I`ve had good results with this stuff. Makes nice old style waterslide transfers (decals) Be sure to choose either transparent OR white background, full instructions come with each sheet.  Needs to be sprayed to waterproof the image, I use automotive spray-can acrylic . Wait till dry, overnight is safer.  sales@craftycomputerpaperpaper.co.uk    Tel 0116 274 4755. Fax 0116 269 0965  Hmmm website isn't working for me. Here is the postal address, Crafty Computer Paper, Hamilton House, Mountain Road, Leicester LE4 9HQ England. 
  I googled the company and the website come up OK, curious.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 09:00:03 pm »

Oh oh , spotted the mistake...not paperpaper in the address.   I should take more water with it :embarrassed:

Xtian29

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 09:42:00 pm »

Hello

Thank you so much for the correct link to the site.  As the first one was not working I made the same search as you and found also the missing Y for crafty

http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/

I just have to try now !

A+ Xtian

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 08:55:46 am »

Xtian, that is the same company who sell on Ebay.uk. It works very well and as we are talking Microsoft WORD as the design/printing method this what I have found.....

As long as you use a truetype font (they are unless you have downloaded extra fonts then you need to check them) you are able to print down 6point text on a laser printer. I've included a photo to demonstrate. Sorry for the quality of the paintwork around them, it doesn't look bad with the naked eye, but the macro setting on my camera for close up work shows it badly! All the decals in this photo were printed on an inkjet. If you have a colour laser they would be even sharper.

There are two types of paper clear and white. Clear is what I use but if you need to have white text then you need the white paper. Basically it works by printing the background colour and leaving the text as the white backing. So to work properly you need to match your model colour with the print colour you are using. I don't use white text so its simple to use the clear paper and print all colours except white.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 03:28:35 pm »

A note on print slide decal paper.

If you are using the clear paper (as opposed to the white) then dark or light color print of the decal to go on a light color surface work well. Especially on white. But light colors to be put on a dark background don't work well as the darker color shows through.

In the picture I have used bright orange on a medium blue and the dark is still showing through. I wanted to use yellow, but the blue showed thorough to much. Additionally, without the black edging to the letters, it still looked awful. This was using an inkjet printer. I don't know that a laser jet would be any better. I future I would use custom decals as they are not that much more expensive.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.