Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Le Capricieux  (Read 1501 times)

GG

• Full Mayhemer
Le Capricieux
« on: August 08, 2015, 03:41:01 pm »

About 20 years ago I tried an experiment to see just how fast I could make a model powered by "dry cells" (i.e. non-rechargeable) go.  A slim destroyer type with 6 HP2 cells looked promising so a suitable model was built.  The results were modest and after a few changes it still would only just exceed about 3 ft/sec (just under 1 m/s).  The model was thus placed in storage and forgotten about.
Whilst looking for something else, it was rediscovered and I decided to try again with a better power plant.
The model is my usual balsa sheet construction and a scale of around 1/144 gives a model length of 33 1/2 inches (85 cm) and weight of 3 pounds (1.4 kg).  A six cell Nimh battery pack powers a single RE385 motor.  This results in a top speed of some 4 ft/s (1.5 m/s), much livelier than before but still enjoyably smooth to sail.
Being based on the French "Le Fantasque" destroyers of the 1930's, it is a little different from the usual warships seem on UK waters.  The dashing appearance of these vessels adds to the pleasure of sailing it.
Plans now in the hands of the Editor of Model Boats.
Glynn Guest

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Le Capricieux
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 07:14:48 pm »

She is a beauty Glynn! Before her refit, the class could do 45knots! Her construction would make an interesting article.

Ta for sharing.
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.