Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Kids and Youngsters  (Read 13810 times)

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
Re: Kids and Youngsters
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 07:46:22 pm »

Hello,

Another long stint at the fair today.
Many family groups, lots with "Youngsters", so I spoke to the Parents, letting them do the explaining to the kids!!.

Seemed to work better than yesterday when I was talking to the kids.
Maybe its because I am "A Stranger," that the kids don't listen to me, as well as they do to their parents.

Anyway, the day was much better, no complete dummies, at least not talking to me !!!.
Now feeling slightly better about the whole episode !.

John.
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 10:58:07 pm »

If I had a pound for every time a baby boomer complained about my generation I'd have enough to buy a home in the housing market you all ruined for me %)

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 11:24:41 pm »

This is the reason we pushed the Springer tug so much in the States.
It is such a simple build that practically anyone could build up a hull, and
then drop by the club to get a bit of help with the hardware and fittings.
What started out as a local boat, unique to the Seattle, Washington Ship Modelers has
reached 'round the world. I don't think Springer family had any idea how popular the model would be when he created the first three boats.
If possible, we still try to put a Springer or two into the hands of the children that
show up at the pond. Because we never know when that "one" experience will create a new modeler, and enthusiast.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 05:22:39 am »

If I had a pound for every time a baby boomer complained about my generation I'd have enough to buy a home in the housing market you all ruined for me %)

I am a baby boomer, and have lost count of the number of times more senior gogs complained about my generation. %)
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Stavros

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 08:04:45 am »

John you wernt simply having Another bad hair day were you  ok2

Dave

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 08:21:35 am »

I virtually gave up ship modelling months ago (after 59 years of it).     Very few modellers of any age are interested in scratchbuilding anything over a few hundred tons.       When I take my merchant ship models to the local model club, I can almost see the eyes glaze over when I put them on the table.        I gave up exhibiting them at our regular shows years ago.       The best I could expect was a casual glance, before they would pass on to some big warship, usually built from a kit.
Eventually, I got tired of not have anything in production, and have started again with Cunard Line's cargo ship Arabia.   (Working Ships section), but viewing figures are already trailing off!
Still, my enthusiasm seems to be returning after the long break.      This is one of the last major builds completed before I decided to pack it all in, the British four-masted barque Lord Ripon, completely hand built, and rigged in fine copper wire!
Bob

Regards
Positive

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2015, 09:23:10 am »

There seems to be a general air of melancholy around at the moment, perhaps caused by the awful summer we are enduring at present.

Just because the numbers of people looking at a build or completed model tails off does not matter in the slightest. We or most of us do, build models for our own sake, to keep us occupied and sane. The fact that people look at our models, photographs or paintings whether it be at club nights, exhibitions or on this or any other site - is a bonus.

So Bob, don't stop or give up modelling do it for yourself and not others.

LB

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2015, 09:32:17 am »

Too right, it is your hobby for your pleasure. If no one want to engage or even look closely at your work then it is their loss not yours. it s what I say to fellow club members who are the 'Doers'. Do the work for yourself and accept that those who do not help* are welcome to benefit from your labours in a form of philanthropy.

*Some people are too poorly or old to help and often wish they could so I exclude them from my last comments.
Pond weed is your enemy

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2015, 09:56:17 am »

One of the major reasons for me stopping was not because other modelmakers showed so little interest in them, but because I never got much peace from collectors who were continually wanting me to take on private commissions (I have not done private commissions for some years now) or saying "if you ever think of building ........, I will be interested!"

Another problem was that at 70, I was beginning to feel my age in various ways, and felt I had to have a rest.      After a year of not doing much model wise, I felt physically much older.     Since starting building again, I have felt so much better! 

Bob   
Regards
Positive

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 10:41:47 am »

Having read this thread I have concluded that i am a confirmed optimist.  Of course there are lots of young people who have no knowledge of or interest in building model boats, or model anything.  There are also people in their 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s who feel the same.  Yes, young people use smartphones - why wouldn't they?  Didn't you embrace technological advance to improve and expand your lifestyle? 

But - my own experience is that young people (say ages 8-18) are generally interested in new things, inquisitive, aspirational, ambitious and, in general, smarter than I and my contemporaries were at their age.  Of course they are teenagers - in turn selfish, rude, thoughtless and moody - but 'twas ever thus.  Building model boats may or may not be going the way of the dodo (and I don't actually think it is), but that is not through some inherent fault in our children or children's children.  They are all fine, with a perfectly reasonable lifestyle and set of interests.  Just because they don't coincide with yours is no reason to belittle them or despair for the future.

And Bob - I for one thoroughly enjoyed and admired your delightful builds.  And as Liverbudgie says, we all started on this hobby for our own satisfaction.  So glad you have started building again and that it makes you feel young again - when's the build log appearing?

Right, enough of that - back to making sawdust!   :-))

Greg

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 10:51:35 am »

Here here Greg.
Jerry.

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 10:59:19 am »

Thanks for replies,
Greg, the build log has already appeared.   It is in Working Vessels section, here on MBM.

As far as I am concerned, the greatest danger to the present generation is that they are moving at ever-increasing speed into a virtual world, where they even get withdrawal symptoms if they lose their mobiles and very little of their activities are actually real, whatever it might be!

In 50 years time, what will they be able to say to their children about what they did?     Probably nothing as all the mobiles an devices of their youth will have long since been scrapped!

I have become very computer literate over the years.      At the same time, I can carry out simple repairs such as changing the BIOS battery without having to pay a shop £30+ to do it for me, also can sort out most computer problems.     I have a mobile, but it is only switched on if I want to make a telephone call.

I really feel that the present trend of football, video games, mobiles and computers is really doing great harm to society.     

Bob
Regards
Positive

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 11:48:31 am »

In thirty ansl will have two types of people there:

Those who have three arms:
One for the IPHONE
one for the tumbler of soda
one for the activities

Those who will have two arms:
one for the IPHONE
one for the tumbler of soda

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2015, 12:46:13 pm »

The blame has to be laid squarely at the feet of the Education Boardroom committees , kid's have to be 'switched on ' to using their brains & hands , there's no art / metalwork / woodwork / tech' drawing / home economics being taught in evidence at any of the local school's . . .
Forget 'targets' forget 'performance tables' forget 'paperwork' forget 'calculators' just make sure the kid's are leaving school with a grasp of real life (tho' judging by the standards of SPELLING on EBay & other social sites there's a LONG way to go )
Curiously ,did you Know BROADMOOR is an anagram of BOARDROOM ?  %%
Bill

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2015, 12:54:50 pm »

I am the proud father of two son's.  My youngest is into Airfix kits and i let him loose with super glue, scalpels and all the other 'dangerous' types of tools and materials. He is 13. My eldest is into 00 scale model railways and allso uses all the above tools plus a soldering iron ( he can solder better than me >:-o  )  and has built his own base boards and track ( including points ) to build an exhibition quality model railway. He is 15. They both built and exhibited a small model railway 2 years ago and got mentioned in the Hornby magazine as prize winners in a contest. They have both been modelling for years now an i wouldn't want it any other way. They allso steam up a working model Mammod traction engine and have done for years. We allso have two converted R/C boats, a Seaport and a RTR police boat. Yes that both have the latest phones and gaming console but they often get bored with them. As i speak my eldest is upstairs building his model railway and my youngest is in the dining room building an Airfix  tank transporter and a Sherman tank to go on it. Not all youngsters are clueless and mine surprise me all the time!!!!!!
                               Regards, Dave ( happy dad )  :-)

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2015, 01:17:46 pm »

ok2

Happy man!

My son is 50 years old and when I say: " HAMMER " or " TURN -SCREW "He goes to see  on the Internet to know has what that serves

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 04:59:43 pm »

Hi davenotdone, great to hear about your lads, I expect they will grow up to be practical and competent in looking after their more and more complex homes in the future.
My lad is approaching 50 liked the model boats built some kits had a model railway and now very competent about the home and a good cook He is a Yachtmaster now with a 6 berth yacht.  I was a bit put out when I found he could fly my little quadcopter better than I.

My daughter did not take part in the model making but something must have rubbed off as she fixes things in the house and used to design jewelry.
Now an Image Consultant and helps others to look good which is what most people want these days.
When the were young the cry used to be "daddy fix it"

I have decided I am too old to make meaningfull remarks about current teenagers.
regards and well done bringing up a family.
Roy

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2015, 08:08:28 pm »

I'm a STEM ambassador (Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths) and I do school career evenings and it is depressing to see mile-long queues at the Crime-Scene Investigator stand and very short lines at anything ‘difficult’ like engineering.
Engineering is the 3rd highest paid career after medicine & law - but most kids seem to think they are going to be the next ‘X-Factor' winner.
I read something a while ago about school-leavers expectations of their lives (house, job, salary, car, holidays etc.) and without exception, they would need to earn at least 3x the reality of their future to furnish the lifestyle they were expecting to have.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2015, 08:48:24 pm »

I made my first models with my Dad and also 'helped' him build parts for his tractor in the back garden. He is a clever chap and some of it rubbed off on me. I don't doubt there are young people out there making and thinking as well as tinkering with Tech. I think they are most likely like Dave's sons, who have been enthused and encouraged to make and think and problem solve by a Father who is supportive?

I know of some youngsters who are members of my old engineering club who come from different backgrounds and practice in varying model railway gauges.
Pond weed is your enemy

kaybrandt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2015, 07:36:37 am »

Isn't this just a sad development for kids?

People are so busy and so afraid of having to clean up extra in their homes, that they won't let their kids experiement with "how to make" and make a mess while learning.

I have two daughters, 9 and 6 years old, our home is a mess of different experimental projects, and once a month we clean it all up and start over new projects. They don't even ask "where do we buy" or "can we buy", they just start "to make" if they want or need something, they create from lego, clay, used boxes, cardboard, stone, everything they might find useful for what they make. Their schoolfriends and their parents think they've gone into a combat zone when they are here because of all the weird and creative projects we have done or are doing. All their kids do is either electronical games or drawing... they hardly understand how to play with toys either.. And this issue makes it extremely difficult for my daughters to have friends, because they are both creators and players, but this type of children don't seem to exist any longer... its so sad..

- karina
Selfdone isn't always welldone - but it was fun!

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2015, 08:14:23 am »

;) I think this is a two way street,a lot of us oldies don't encourage the young people and some do the opposite,many moons ago I was at a lake when a young lad turned up with his dad and a model boat he had made from a kit,it was plain to see that he was very proud of his little boat,the boat was a good first effort and sailed quite well but was not perfect,alone come the loyal know it all( every club has one) and he tore  the little lads effort into pieces,the young lad was in tears and heart broken,at this point I had to tell the lad that there was nothing wrong with his boat I also told the person who ruined the young mans day what I thought of him,sadly we never saw the boy again, a modeler lost before he had even began,I can remember my first efforts in the early 60s and the amount of help I had from some the oldies back then,we should be passing on that knowledge that we were given when we first started and help this wonderful hobby to continue for future generations to come,         Ray. ;)     
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

kaybrandt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2015, 08:18:41 am »

oh yes don't we just all know those know-it-alls...   they can indeed ruin things for starters.

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2015, 09:16:07 am »

Thank you all for your kind comments about my boys modelling hobbies. I didn't think at the time about the dangers, the modelling knife is sharp i told them, it has to be to cut, the super glue is er.... super, it has to stick things, the soldering iron is hot or it won't solder, the model traction engine is hot or it won't produce steam. It all seems pretty basic stuff to me and my boys are always careful and i always praise them if it turns out right or wrong, they have made superb models and bad ones but at least they are learning. Yes there is a lot of mess now and then but if my eldest son at the age of 15 can build a fully working model railway with home made track, working points, DCC sound and lots of scenery and buildings then i am well chuffed ( no pun intended ) . If my youngest can be bothered building and painting small Airfix kits i am allso well happy. It doesn't matter if very soon other destractions turn up ( of the female kind ) they will have learnt a lot of useful skills that a session on Minecraft or Call Of Duty on the Xbox won't. Regards, Dave.

kaybrandt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2015, 09:34:48 am »

wow, Dave, sounds like you and your boys are also having a great time together with this, just like my daughters and I.

I see you're located in Blackpool - 11 years ago I was there with my English family from Lancashire, and we went to St. Annes as well, that park there had a lake where we could play with rc boats... i was quite difficult to drag home from there *LOL*

- karina

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2015, 03:13:16 pm »

"We live in a decaying age. Our youth spend their time in taverns and are disrespectful to their elders." -Anonymous graffiti, circa 1800 B.C, found in an internal passageway of a pyramid.

But I prefer

Pay attention to the young, and make them just as good as possible. -Socrates, in Plato's _Euthyphro_

A youth is to be regarded with respect. How do you know that his future will not be equal to our present? -Confucius, _Analects_

Nothing that is said about youth changes, just the people saying it.

Chas.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.