Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kids and Youngsters  (Read 13808 times)

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
Re: Kids and Youngsters
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2015, 03:52:11 pm »

This is a lot different though, and it is not confined to the young.    A large number of people of all ages are moving more towards a false "virtual" world that is mainly shadows on a screen (just like I am doing at this very instant {:-{ )
Most folk I know, of all ages, are too scared to turn their mobiles off "In case something happens!"     
Bob
Regards
Positive

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2015, 09:00:59 pm »

I often leave my phone at wrk or at home when going to the other place and smetimes it falls out of my trouser pockets and usually turns up. It isn't a smart phone and I cannot usually be arsed to look for it. If it is so important that I must be contacted, I have three methods of contact beyond the Mobile.

Computer gaes can educate, but not in a construcional manner. We would like to encourage more young people to our club.
Pond weed is your enemy

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2015, 09:10:45 pm »

"We live in a decaying age. Our youth spend their time in taverns and are disrespectful to their elders." -Anonymous graffiti, circa 1800 B.C, found in an internal passageway of a pyramid.

But I prefer

Pay attention to the young, and make them just as good as possible. -Socrates, in Plato's _Euthyphro_

A youth is to be regarded with respect. How do you know that his future will not be equal to our present? -Confucius, _Analects_

Nothing that is said about youth changes, just the people saying it.

Chas.
AGREE TOTALLY , kid's are a blank canvas & need to pointed in the right direction . . . .

Bill

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2015, 09:14:06 pm »

Whats a ' mobile phone ' ?   I don't have one and never have. I am 53 years of age and don't want one. Somebody told me once that they are great, ' you can be contacted any time all the time with one! '  was there reason to have one.  And that's a bonus?????  No thanks, an Apple it to put into your mouth, not next to your ear!!   Regards, Dave. 

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2015, 09:50:45 pm »

Is that why never answer your phone when I ring ya Dave!!!!  :P
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Chris57

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fishers Green mbc
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2015, 09:59:09 pm »

I don't understand how kids of today are not interested in building things, YET I believe ( I saw it on TV a couple of months ago!) that Lego, the popular building brick toy(?) is the most popular toy, or has the biggest worldwide market or some other massive statistic.

Mad Scientist

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2015, 10:36:36 pm »

LEGO has changed over the years - when we were young, we'd get an assortment of blocks and let our imaginations loose! :-))

Nowadays, a lot of LEGO is sold as kits which are tie-ins to their two or three TV series, and other assorted, pre-packaged themes.  More profitable, I suppose.

Tom

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2015, 10:41:33 pm »

Our tiny Victorian village school, where both my lads began their education, has a motto (Bible?) above it's door which reads 'Teach up a child in the way he should go and he will not depart from it'
which says it all really. It has been there for over 130 years and my sons are a perfect practical example of it.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2015, 10:58:08 pm »

With all the talk about getting kids involved....
Would it be worth considering a kids only build section on the forum???

Perhaps some existing members can post builds of young club members
In their clubs to encourage others

Just a thought :-))

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2015, 01:34:29 am »

It's a good job we are not all alike, or the world would be full of model boats, some children (kids are what goats have) if there is a spark of practicality try and fire it up, but a lot of children excel in other things like sport, art and other academic things. I have no interest  in sport at all would not do it at school could not see the point but go to the woodwork /metalwork could not keep me out . It's a sad thing but this is the age we live in now there is of no large scale manufacture anymore as you all know so to be practical is becoming a thing of the past . I wish I could get my 12 year old grandson interested but there is no a hope. But LEGO that's a different thing he designs on the computer makes up a list of parts build SciFi stuff then makes stop go animation ,submits his ideas on their site, but hold a saw or a screwdriver correctly it's never going to happen . So I am afraid we are all going to have to live with it .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

kaybrandt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2015, 07:19:20 am »

you can still buy assorted Lego, its called Lego Basic or something like that, in boxes with roofing, windows, doors etc. and others with basic blocks for building whatever your heart might desire.

we buy both the sets and the basics, but as soon as the sets have been built, they start to tear it down to build of their own liking.

- karina
Selfdone isn't always welldone - but it was fun!

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2015, 07:53:24 am »

You can do better than that - Lego sell individual bricks - just make a shopping list of what you want.

You can also design models using their free Lego-cad software and then you upload the design and they'll sort the parts and send you a kit of parts to build your model.  :-))

kaybrandt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2015, 07:58:47 am »

true, Plastic.

I still dream of building a huge dollhouse in Lego from my own design, but its a bit costly.

- karina
Selfdone isn't always welldone - but it was fun!

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2015, 06:00:37 pm »

It took three years to change the local club.
The commodore used to yell at the kids and parents,
" Don't Touch!, You can't afford that boat, and neither can your parents."

It was awful to go to one of their events and see the public roped out of the display area.
The commodore was even seen questioning his own club members, "Who are you with? This area is for club members only!"
To that end we built up the "kids springer" and let the kids play at the other end of the pond during regatta day.
That club still has a bit more to work out, but things are so much better.
Especially after the elected management.  :-))
Parents still act responsibly with their children and kids like to play.
Make it an enjoyable and learning experience.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2015, 08:07:27 pm »

That is a good thing to see so many children giving it a go and being given the chance to. It is selfish (though we all accept that model ships can take years to build and therefore are intrinsically valuable) to prevent children from exeriencing any hobby, as once we are dead, who will keep the flame alight if we disincentivise the next generation, and their offspring?

Not everyone likes dealing with children and we need to deal with this if we are to keep the ones we do have, and encourage others to take the hobby up.
Pond weed is your enemy

Chris57

• Full Mayhemer
  • Fishers Green mbc
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2015, 09:30:06 pm »

Perhaps it would be a good idea if a club boat ( slow and solid) could be held in reserve for the inquisitive "can I have a go mister?" This along with a simple pc printed brochure with membership details and club rules ( all under 16to be accompanied by a responsible adult ...etc etc) could help to bring youth into the hobby.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2015, 11:42:12 pm »

Whilst visiting Largs last week I came across a notice at the Cumbrae ferry terminal.
It read -

' LOCH SHIRA' - designed by 14 yr old Luke Ball of Kilmarnock. 'Loch Shira' is on track to be immortalised in LEGO. The project needs 10,000 supporters to be considered for production by the Lego Company. Supported by CalMac Ferries, this young designer now needs your votes!
Please help make this into a real Lego set by supporting the project via - http://ideas.lego.com/projects/99373

I recalled this thread on young people and  their interest in modelling boats being encouraged and thought maybe some members would wish to give support to this obviously clever young lad?  Please visit the link to see his model of the ferry.

'From little acorns....!'

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2015, 11:53:40 pm »

I have just had a look and the project was a404 error,maby there was not enough support in the time rule on the Lego web site , if so it would be a shame . It appears the rules a very  strict
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2015, 03:23:57 am »

I just tried the link and it works fine.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2015, 05:57:21 am »

At luton we use derated club 500s. After a couple of years we are getting the hang of it now. We find that it is a lot of mums that come down with the kids, then the dads come down. Shame really as it would be good to get both parents involved in the club. We also have a could of club members who are dsb qualified and have done vulnerable adults and children courses. While not necessary it does help.
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.