Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photos From My Archive  (Read 2727 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Photos From My Archive
« on: August 10, 2015, 05:45:51 am »

I have been browsing through some old photos of mine and my late father's, and have come across some which may be of interest to members of the forum. Numbers 1, 3 and 7 were Dad's, and the others are from my own camera.

The Royal Yacht Britannia was photographed by Dad in the Brisbane River during the 1964 Royal Visit, while those of the Oriana and Pacific Princess he would have taken during cruises he and Mum went on.

The shot of the Arcadia I took as it left Sydney in 1968 bound for the UK, with Mum, Dad and my youngest sister on board. That of the Straat Clement has no particular significance other than it was one of many such vessels that could be seen in Sydney Harbour in those days. I took it as the ferry we were on passed close by.

I am particularly pleased with the shot of the hydrofoil passing the Sydney Opera House, which was still under construction at the time. It was just about to come off the foils for its run into Circular Quay, and the ferry we were on was in the right place at the right time for me to capture the image. The Sydney hydrofoils have passed into history long ago, they were not very popular, as very little could be seen whilst travelling on board one, as I found out.

The model boat was photographed on a farm dam near Bundaberg, Queensland in 1977, and was built by my brother-in-law, George Punter. It was powered by a 25 cc 4 stroke engine, also designed and built by George. He loaned it to me for a year or so, but eventually sold it to concentrate on his main interest, model engineering. If anyone is interested, you can see an example of George's work in Model Engineer magazine, starting with issue number 4511. He has written a series of articles on the construction of a Saunderson and Mills tractor which will run over several issues. A photo of the model is on the cover of issue 4511, a copy of which is shown below. He has since repainted it in a darker, more authentic, shade of green.

Peter.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: Photos From My Archive
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:07:18 am »

A slightly smaller Oriana (1:100) at lake Illawong
Soon to be joined by QE2 and QM2 at the same scale.

GAZOU

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 08:20:01 am »

ok2

Magnificent photos!

To preserve affectedly as a treasure . If they are paper photos l needs to scan them at once before the yellowing.
It is necessary to protect colors.
We have the impression that somebody pushes the ARCADIA with hands.

Beautiful model

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 02:33:11 pm »

Some great photos ther Peter, well worth preserving. That model Arcadia looks superb too.

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 03:27:23 pm »

Cracking Photos there you must preserve these well worth it as far as  am concerned KEEP them coming

Dave

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 04:17:54 pm »

ok2

Magnificent photos!

To preserve affectedly as a treasure . If they are paper photos l needs to scan them at once before the yellowing.
It is necessary to protect colors.
We have the impression that somebody pushes the ARCADIA with hands.

Beautiful model

Tugmasters National Holiday {-)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 06:10:45 am »

Thank you all for your comments. All the photos shown, plus many others, are on my computer, as well as a couple of external hard drives as back up. They have all been scanned, mostly from slides but some from paper photos. My father always took photos wherever he travelled, all on slides, and when he died, Mum gave them to me. I purchased a slide scanner and put them all onto the computer. I was, and am, amazed at the accuracy of the colour, and the clarity of most of the slides, some of which are well over 50 years old.

Unfortunately there aren't many ship photos, other than the ones I have shown, although I took many whilst on a cruise from Australia to England in 2008 Those photos are not historic - yet :}  they are all digital.

That's a magnificent model of Oriana, Brian, did you build it?

Peter.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 08:29:44 am »

No unfortunately.  <:(
The builder is single and has enough room at home for foot long QM2 12 that he is building at the moment to say nothing of storage for 10 foot Missouri and QE2 among others.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.