Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Byzantium by qwerty2008 - 1:20 scale - RADIO -  (Read 29863 times)

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
Re: Byzantium by qwerty2008 - 1:20 scale - RADIO -
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2015, 03:27:24 am »

I painted the belfry and made a bell from wax to use as a plug for making a mold. I made two bells but one came out better than the other so I will be using the worse one to test a mold making method before using the good one.

Lextin.
I am who I am and I aint who I aint, if my beliefs offend you feel free to walk away.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2015, 10:45:38 pm »

Just to make sure I don't work in any particular order I decided to make the cannon carriage sides today.

I have also made the test mold for the bell and the casting came out really nice except the lead didn't fill the mold properly and left an air pocket also the core was slightly off center so registration bumps and vents will be a must for the real one.

In other news, between the different groups I asked for seal names on I am considering either Clara or Rose, both can be identified with the name of the vessel as their both character from Doctor Who and I named the Byzantium after a ship from Doctor Who.
The Insert plate for my Band saw broke so I made a new one out of wood, this new one has a much smaller clearance making it easier to cut small parts.

Lextin.
I am who I am and I aint who I aint, if my beliefs offend you feel free to walk away.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2015, 07:52:40 pm »

This morning I have been working  on the carriages and have assembled three.  The axles and transoms were made the same way as the sides. I am slowly refining the process and should have it down by the time I make the last one.

Lextin.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2015, 06:14:35 am »

I like the diy drum sander set up  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2015, 03:48:39 am »

I decided to go with a wood bell after all, my first bell was made from poplar and was very "fuzzy" giving it a very non-metallic appearance, this new bell is made from cherry and came out with a very shiny surface (kinda hard to tell in the pictures) that when painted gold looks like bronze for some reason.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2015, 01:09:23 am »

I have made the main hatch and the new skylight.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2015, 10:48:34 pm »

I have been slowly chipping away at the Byzantium and have got the deck glued down and finally permanently installed the keel bolt tubes. I have also done some work on the bowsprit and other misc. details as well as making a new stand from a leftover piece of the build board and the keel bolts.

The track for the 18 pounder and the main hatch are glued down in anticipation of sealing the deck with resin.

Here is the new stand.

The bowsprit flagpole.

Lashings for the jib boom.

Lashings for the bowsprit.

And the set screw to hold the jib boom in place.

Some battle damage (they have since been fixed).

PS. I have applied at a local collage and if accepted I will start this fall.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2015, 01:39:37 am »

I have a question about deck hatches, in the attached photo I have arrows pointing at the locations of several hatches and was wondering what the function of these hatches would be? also how would they be covered, grating, trapdoor, plank things like the main hatch...?

Lextin.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2015, 01:29:25 pm »

I would guess that the front one is the chain locker, for the anchor chains, seeing as it is placed directly abaft the windlass.

Looking at photos of the Pride of Baltimore (actual ship and models)

The rear appears to be the location for the wheel housing for the steering gear, and not a hatch.
The centre appear to be lockers sitting on the deck, but stand to be corrected.

Without a view of your plans, it is hard to tell exactly what area abaft the main mast you are pointing out.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2015, 09:39:45 pm »

tigertiger: I don't actually have plans, when I said that it was based on the Pride Of Baltimore I meant it in the loosest degree possible as I started out with just a set of lines for the prides hull and went from there. The aft hatch I have found out to be an access hatch to a storage compartment, the one just aft the mainmast on the Pride was access to the engine but as there were no internal combustion engines circa 1800 I was looking for a period function. The forward hatch seems to be different ship to ship some having a small companionway while others have a grating or trapdoor, as I don't see a need to have a companionway here I will probably go with the grating. If the forward hatch is access to the cable tier why is it forward the riding bits? do they run the anchor cable to the bits then back forward to the hatch?. Back to the larger center hatch, as Privateer vessels had large crews maybe it would be best for me to make it a ladder hatch for the bulk of the crew so they don't all have to squeeze through the one companionway.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2015, 05:41:47 am »

I have been hard at work on the model today I made the stovepipe (last night) and now that I have the hatch thing sorted out I have been making the remaining hatch combings (one left). The beakhead grating was made out of some plastic from the window blinds at my last house which I drilled holes in then pressed a small file through them to make them square, the companionway grating was made the same way. The stove pipe was made from some spent shells and an old bolt, the top rotates freely due to a mechanism that involves the groove at the base of the shell and some well positioned dents.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2015, 10:11:41 pm »

I have sealed the deck once and for all with a layer of thinned resin. the model is currently sitting in the sun while the resin cures. It took two weeks for the resin to cure last time so this time I used double the amount of hardener and the weather is a lot warmer so hopefully it will be dry by tonight.

Lextin.

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2015, 08:02:01 pm »

Lextin,
I know little of resin but I found it really important to get the ratio of resin to hardener accurate. The temperature is also critical.  I used some West System products, there are a range of hardeners with different cure times. Mix first and then thin it with a recommended thinner.

Like you I have waited days for something to cure due to using wrong product or wrong ratio.
Amateur at work...

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2015, 07:15:52 pm »

mrpenguin: In my understanding the amount of hardener used depends largely upon how thick you are applying the resin, as a thinner layer will produce less heat (which is needed to cure) and a thicker layer will produce more. I used resin thinned from a honey like consistency to a milk like consistency to make it spread is thin as possible and soak into the paper deck so I used more hardener and sure enough it was dry before dark. The time I said it took two weeks to cure I had used the amount of hardener suggested on the label and it was the middle of winter these two things combined I believe caused the delayed curing.
About adding the thinner after mixing the hardener, this had never even occurred to me but I will keep it in mind for next time.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2015, 12:11:03 am »

I have got the deck painted and started making the scuppers which have been lined with brass tube harvested from spent .22 cal. shells.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2015, 02:46:06 am »

I have got back to work on the Byzantium and have made the rest of the gratings aswell as the binnacle. The pumps were made last week but forgot to post about them and this time I forgot to take pictures of them but you can see one in one of the other pictures. The compass was made from a .45 cal. shell and a .38 cal. shell, the lamp from a .25 cal. shell and the chimney from a .22 cal shell. I still need to paint the binnacle but other then that it is finished.
I have also changed the ladder hatch to only have one ladder and a grating over the other side.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2015, 11:25:15 pm »

I haven't got much work done on the Byzantium the past couple of weeks due to working on the sloop Mediator. After planking half of the Mediator I am getting kinda tired of planking so I decided to switch back to the Byzantium and start coppering, well sorta. I made a plate press and started work making the plates last night, sofar I have made and installed over 200 plates completing the starboard side of the hull.
The progress as of this morning.

I also have painted the binnacle.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2015, 02:34:27 am »

I haven't been working on the Byzantium much lately, life has been kinda hectic the past few weeks and I haven't much felt like working on my models. I did however manage to finish up the 'copper' plating today. Sorry no pictures but maybe I can manage to do a float test soon.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2015, 01:37:27 am »

I I did a float test with the keel today. I did notice a few problems when it comes to moving the model as I bumped one of the davits again today, luckily it didn't break but instead came loose from the hull, the channels are fairly fragile and get caught on doorways, the cleats for the gammoning are easy to pop off the gammoning, the figurehead goes exactly where I grab the model in the front to carry it and the weight of the keel amplifies any damage caused by collisions with obstacles wile carrying it. Now to how it held up to the water, I splashed water on the deck and soon noticed the cardboard deck swelling at the hatch corners, the lower portions of the mast had swelled from water that got into the hull and the water inside of the hull would reach the electronics before I would be able to notice her sitting lower in the water. With the 12 pound keel it took six additional pounds plus the battery to get her sitting at her waterline. To test stability I puled on the mast until water started flowing in trough the fairleads this took one pound three ounces force applied to the top of the lower mast to achieve with with the keel about 6 inches (shallow bathtub) below the hull.

Lextin.

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2015, 07:56:53 am »

I made a new barrel for the pivot gun. This time with a brass tube lining the inside so I could actually fire it.
https://youtu.be/j4Ejpw95O4Y

qwerty2008

• POST CAPTAIN
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Post Captain
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2015, 02:03:29 am »

Here is a link to a video I made of me making a 4" sanding drum

https://youtu.be/6uOatEx2uk0

Lextin.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.