Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: U.S.S. Nautilus scratch build  (Read 37943 times)

Dr.Schmidt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: U.S.S. Nautilus scratch build
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2015, 10:25:04 am »

Scale and length: 1:87 --> 112 cm length

Re: Ball bearings:   No idea. Would have to look up the order. But I wanted sealed bearings so that they can take a liitle dirt and water.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2015, 12:27:34 pm »

I hope that this build inspires and encourages young and mature (yes, I chose my words carefully there) people as to what can be achieved using modern methods and materials, and not send some into a  spiral of deep depression, but I'm not hopeful in the latter. I of course appreciate that few of us have access or the design skills, at present, to achieve this standard and that the more traditional methods will have to prevail for the foreseeable future.

I should, in addition, would like to have more details how the moulds etc., are made i.e. the design software used, method of milling the parts and materials used and so on.

Thanks for brightening up my day somewhat.

LB

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2015, 12:32:43 pm »

I would like to know more about the milling process.   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dr.Schmidt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2015, 12:48:25 pm »

O.K., I designed everything using a CAD software called Viacad Pro. It's available for Mac and PC and costs about 250$, which is rather cheap for CAD system with good capabilities. I designed the boat from 2D plans (there are a few out there which are all wrong to a certain extent) and from photos of the actual boat. Than I chose a scale of the boat to accommodate the interior which had been designed first. Then the hull design was exported into step-files, a file format used for the exchange of 3D CAD-data. These files are the input for the company that milled the parts.

The company itself (http://fraesmich.de/) has a 3D mill. So the parts I gave them were designed to be machinable in 3D mode (e.g. no undercuts). The material the preforms are machined of is called Ureol a resin-based block material especially made for modell making (mostly for professional model makers). It comes in different densities: brown is lower density and cheaper. Green is high density and more expensive.

The brown preforms have to be sealed using a tooling sealer before making the actual moulds. Then everything is ground with fine sandpaper, several coats of wax......there you go.

The green stuff is dense enough that you don't need sealer. It actually can be polished to be as shiny as a mirror. Many RC plane builders use the stuff to make moulds for wings. So just polishing, waxing, and then you can draw a mould of it.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2015, 01:44:54 pm »

O.K., I designed everything using a CAD software called Viacad Pro. It's available for Mac and PC and costs about 250$, which is rather cheap for CAD system with good capabilities. I designed the boat from 2D plans (there are a few out there which are all wrong to a certain extent) and from photos of the actual boat. Than I chose a scale of the boat to accommodate the interior which had been designed first. Then the hull design was exported into step-files, a file format used for the exchange of 3D CAD-data. These files are the input for the company that milled the parts.

The company itself (http://fraesmich.de/) has a 3D mill. So the parts I gave them were designed to be machinable in 3D mode (e.g. no undercuts). The material the preforms are machined of is called Ureol a resin-based block material especially made for modell making (mostly for professional model makers). It comes in different densities: brown is lower density and cheaper. Green is high density and more expensive.

The brown preforms have to be sealed using a tooling sealer before making the actual moulds. Then everything is ground with fine sandpaper, several coats of wax......there you go.

The green stuff is dense enough that you don't need sealer. It actually can be polished to be as shiny as a mirror. Many RC plane builders use the stuff to make moulds for wings. So just polishing, waxing, and then you can draw a mould of it.

In the UK Ureol is more commonly known as Prolab or Modelboard.  It's Polyurethane based and the medium grade is very useful as a prototyping material, it is waterproof and very easy to sand.  I've never used the denser green stuff but was aware of it.  It available in the UK from a variety of companies but we get ours from Ebalta UK.
I'd be interested to know, who does your Photo-etching, Doc?
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Dr.Schmidt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2015, 02:17:10 pm »

The photo etching is done by a German company that etches parts for modelers between their series production runs: http://www.saemann-aetztechnik.de/ (sorry in German only)

The props will be made by UK-based prop-shop

btw.: This build is in no way meant to discourage people form traditional model building. This build had two priorities: I wanted to get through it within 1 year (going to fail by 1 - 2 months) and the parts should have the potential to put together a kit. For latter you ned high quality moulds, moulds I wouldn't be able to do in traditional ways. So I went the professional route but also a rather expensive one. I wouldn't recommend that for anyone who has a single model in mind. For a single model this is way too expensive.   

Dr.Schmidt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2015, 12:23:05 pm »

O.K., I didn't post for a while because filling and sanding is not only no fun but also doesn't look good on photos. But one can put on a big smile after finishing it....next are weld beads from Archer:

Dr.Schmidt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2015, 09:48:07 pm »

Almost like Christmas.....the props arrived today. Very nice:

Meanwhile the boat got some weld beads from Archer:

The torpedo hatches are masked and then painted over, resulting in slightly recessed areas:

Dr.Schmidt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2015, 12:53:44 pm »

And just for comparison, the original props.....

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2015, 03:46:40 pm »

That is going to be a very impressive model. I wish I had a talent like yours, enjoying the build. Thank you :-))

Dr.Schmidt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2015, 06:59:02 pm »

First layer of base color:

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2015, 07:51:33 pm »

Looking at the moulds, are they solid resin filled with micro balloons? I was looking at the top of the moulds and it looked crumbly enough to make me think this is tha case.

I think you are doing a fabulous job and now the resin parts have been sanded and primed, they look much better. I wish you lots of succes with your venture and wonder what other subs or vessels you have in mind to do in the future all being well?:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

Dr.Schmidt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2015, 09:01:47 pm »

The moulds are filled with resin and Poraver expanded glass. So something like microballoons but much larger, about 2-3 mm in diameter.

http://www.poraver.com/en/

Consumes way less resin and is much more lightweight than e.g. quartz sand.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2015, 09:08:58 pm »

Wow! That is an amazing product Doc! The things people can do with materials these days, the thought of foaming glass just didn't occur to me as possible.

Thanks for educating me Dr.
Pond weed is your enemy

Dr.Schmidt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2015, 09:14:13 pm »

No problem. It's easy to grind as well. So after everything has set, the backside of the mould is ground flat and then a final cover of glass fiber seals everything. So you have a closed box, very stiff and stable over time. 

Dr.Schmidt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2015, 08:18:49 pm »

Base colors are on. Looks quite nice. But when I put the boat outside today to get the colors dry, I recognized some minor bubbles in the dark paint. Something I'll have to take care of tomorrow (pain in the a.....):

The bow planes are finished as well. Those were the last moulds I made:

spooksgone

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2015, 12:52:28 pm »

I wish you were my next-door neighbour  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2015, 07:48:33 pm »

Hm, a street of model boaters. That would either be the best or worst thing depending on various issues and subjects!

Sorry to hear about your paint blisters, I hope you can rectify them without too much labour. She is starting to look amazing.
Pond weed is your enemy

Dr.Schmidt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2015, 04:45:46 pm »

Started the weathering. Below the waterline the boats usually look quite shabby. I did this using David Meriman's tooth paste weathering technique. Not that bad for a first try: 

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2015, 08:58:21 pm »

Mm, minty fresh! That gives a good randomised effect. Are you adding a little rust as well?
Pond weed is your enemy

Dr.Schmidt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2015, 11:54:57 am »

Rust only subtle.......I build the Nautilus in an early stage, right after the North Pole trip.

Dr.Schmidt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2015, 04:53:15 pm »

Today's work - upper bow sonar dome. Archer rivets and some paint:

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2015, 09:28:03 pm »

That rivetting looks pretty god, and the carrier film is hardly noticable except as panel disturbance after the rivetters have been through!
Pond weed is your enemy

Dr.Schmidt

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2015, 06:53:34 pm »

Some more weathering...

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2015, 09:00:25 pm »

Subtle but effective!
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.