Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two days of disaster and problems  (Read 2437 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Two days of disaster and problems
« on: August 14, 2015, 08:07:15 pm »

Yesterday whilst cutting a piece of brass on the bandsaw the blade jammed. Turning it off I was already saying goodbye to another blade. I removed the cover to find the blade intact but the plastic drive gear on the motor shaft had in the 2 seconds it took to turn off the power had melted the teeth off with the drive belt :(( Well a couple of years back I tried to get another one of these but they were out of production, so I ended up buying an aluminium blank with the correct tooth pitch as a backup along with a couple of new drive belts from RS Components, so I had the means to repair it.

Anyway leaving it alone I moved on to what I was doing next, making up a mould to make the shell of a fast rescue craft I need. I finished the mould last night and got it coated in beeswax which leads us to today. I didn't want to break in to my two tins of polyester resin as they are well sealed. However I did have a 250ml tin of Davids Isopon resin left over from a repair in the garden last month, I'll use that! As its so hot at present I opted not to use the David's hardener, it gels in minutes leaving virtually no lay up time. So I used some of the MEKP which is unaccelerated from my good stuff. I laid up the resin and glass this morning and went out for the day. Came home this evening and the resin had still not gone off >>:-(

So moving on, I need the bandsaw. I went through my stuff and found the gear blank, drilled a pilot hole with a 4mm drill bit which snapped half way through {:-{ Pulled it out with pliers and carried on with a second. Then worked my way up through drill sizes to the 10mm shaft size. Then I cross drilled with a 4mm and tapped it to take a 5mm grub screw :-)) Putting it on the motor shaft I decided to use a new belt the blooming pivot bolt on the motor mount was solid. Brute force with a hammer and drift got it moved enough to get the new belt on.

I reassembled the safety plate switched on and bingo now working again after an hours worth of aggro. I pick up the plastic tube I wanted to cut and where had I put it that hour before? Only on the vibrosaw which is sat on the bench next to the bandsaw and would have done the job just as easily <:(

<:( ISN'T THIS MODELLING GAME FUN.

As an addendum she who must be obeyed is not talking at the moment. She walked into the hobby room in her bare feet and managed to stick a headless pin in her foot. Headless pins are no use to anyone once the heads have been cut off for modelling O0 I must have missed that one on the cleanup :D

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Two days of disaster and problems
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 08:30:55 pm »

Days like that make you want to scream abuse at innocent people  >>:-( <*< <:( ;D :police: (something I avoid as often as possible) and go back to bed hidden well down the duvet to await the next day which will be all sunshine and better :-) :D :} :-)) .

I expected you to say that you had cut part of you off with the bandsaw and was releived to hear that otherthings on your saw snapped off.

Pond weed is your enemy

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 08:45:36 pm »

It's karma Ian. Years ago I used to scream swear and throw things about.

With age I have mellowed, I now sit back and say to myself, " there are some things which are not meant to be, at least for this moment in time. Leave it and try again another day"

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 08:46:05 pm »

As an addendum she who must be obeyed is not talking at the moment. She walked into the hobby room in her bare feet and managed to stick a headless pin in her foot. Headless pins are no use to anyone once the heads have been cut off for modelling O0 I must have missed that one on the cleanup :D

I seem to remember that this dubious practice has been reported in previous posts. Lads, lads, we should not treat this issue lightly, as it can lead to severe recriminations and loss of privileges.... ;) %)
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 09:05:42 pm »

It didn't go down well when I mentioned it was only 1- got the other 47 :}

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 10:51:31 pm »

It didn't go down well when I mentioned it was only 1- got the other 47 :}

You counted them? Oh, well that makes it all ok then...
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 11:49:55 pm »

I am a great believer in O'Tooles law.
"Murphy was an optimist"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.