Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: after many years of rc planes and helis I have built a boat!  (Read 4769 times)

kdubya

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
after many years of rc planes and helis I have built a boat!
« on: August 17, 2015, 09:58:09 pm »

As title I have been converted, bought a very old billings Nordkap kit off evil bay, so old the wood was brittle and so dry superglue would not touch it?many new parts had to be made, but I have persevered and am quite pleased with my effort, needs final fitting out and rigging fitting, now I am planning building a Clyde puffer as I used to spend a lot of time up in Plockton when I was younger and remember seeing one anchored off  in the bay, only problem with the Nordkap is the box shows some fairly large turfing blocks on the deck, these were not in the kit and cant see them in billings fittings catalog? also I am short of brass rod that fits the rail stanchions what size is this diameter wise?   any way here she is starting to get a little scruffed up (wont go mad)

KW

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: after many years of rc planes and helis I have built a boat!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:28:38 am »

Hi kdubya and welcome to the forum.    :-))

You've done a nice build there with a very sharp learning curve, by the look of it.  Regarding extras for it then you have come to the right place. 

Throughout the forums pages you will find most of the info you are after as Billings are  'no more'. It will be a case of finding the parts closest in fit to what you require from various dealers mentioned on here.

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 10:37:18 am »

You've done a grand job on the old girl. Not sure on the diameter of your brass wire. Easiest way is to just eyeball it. Get a drill bit of 1mm and hold it against the wire, you can see whether the wire is larger or smaller in diameter to the drill bit. I'd hazard a guess at it being 1mm though if smaller it would be .5 or .75mm. To be more accurate go back to your favorite auction site and buy a digital caliper, they can be had from a tenner all the way to over a 100quid, depends whether you want hobby measurements or whether you want to measure down to microns!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:19:06 pm »

I can reccomend a digital vernier gauge, especially when the points are sharp as you can use them as a scribe to mark out things. Just look after them:O)

Your first build is impressive and I look forward to seeing her completed and future projects come to life. I have never heard of Turfing blocks before, so will be interested to see what you come up with.

Pond weed is your enemy

kdubya

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 08:10:44 pm »

The term turfing blocks comes from my work environment IE they are pulling blocks bolted to the floor  to direct the cables that haul/pull large plant items in or out of position for replacement, on the boat I am not sure of their correct name cable pullers perhaps? I will take a pic of the box and see if someone can come up with something similar, as believe me I have searched and searched oh and thanks for the comments, there was a point were I nearly said words to the effect of I cant be fussed with this!!

KW

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 09:11:36 pm »

Throughout the forums pages you will find most of the info you are after as Billings are  'no more'. It will be a case of finding the parts closest in fit to what you require from various dealers mentioned on here.

Cheers

ken

It appears that Billings are still around with their kits and fittings still available. Amerang are still advertising their kits and fittings on their website and I have found new kits being shown as available sometime this year.

Jim

Thanks for the update Jim

http://www.billingboats.com/

I was mistaken

ken

Dundee Model Boat club

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:11:48 pm »

Bollards! ??? You can have Bitts. Fairleads. I am sure your question will be aswered soon.

Pond weed is your enemy

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 08:32:02 am »

Snatch block?

BM

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 09:13:40 am »

Nice first build.

Do you mean a Tirfor block? A manual lever operated cable winch.

kdubya

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 08:40:37 pm »

Oh well beginners mistake, the mysterious cable blocks I was looking for had to be made from left over bits of wood, 3 needed (you can see two in the pic on the deck near the mast) should have looked at the plan in a bit more detail, still dont know what they are called though, anyway have started to finish her off, she is a nice looking boat, need to pop down to the local sign writers and get some vinyl lettering and numbering done then she wont be far off.

KW

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 08:49:31 pm »

There is lots to learn when making a model boat! Electrics will be my learning curve (akin to the south face of the Eiger:O)

Pond weed is your enemy

kdubya

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 05:07:00 pm »

Well here she is, needs a couple of life rafts and some narrower font numbers, and that's it, now a question I fancy a puffer but now after looking about reckon I will go for the the Holmfirth from deans marine first as it used to come into Hartlepool when I was a kid and I remember it well anyone built her? what are the deans kits like, worth a shot?

Cheers KW

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 09:43:29 pm »

If looking for subjects to build that were based at Hartlepool, there were warships stationed there during the first world war that might interest you and I think Deans do a River class destroyer which is pertinent.

That is assuming you have an interest in warships.

Your model looks fab and I hope she is the first of many to grace our screens.
Pond weed is your enemy

kdubya

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 09:53:15 pm »

Thanks for that , I must have had a brain fade as I meant the Hudsonfirth (dont know where holme came from?) yes I think this will be the first of many actively planning as I  type!! on hol next week then will be making a purchase. as for the warships perhaps not 1st world war  but I remember well the mothball fleet based in the old coal dock, I assume they were scrapped in the 60's

Cheers KW

JosephHuntley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 08:16:48 pm »

I know this thread is a little old, however I downloaded plans for this and I do not believe they are full scale  could someone tell me the length and width of Part 29 the deck. I enlarged my plans up but for some reason if I use the 550 mm it says for the lower keel (enlarged of course to match the scale im doing) it comes out way wrong when it should only be around 50 ish inches it is coming out at 90 ish and the enlargement was taken from the deck in my drawings to be only 44 inches so there is no way there is another 50 inches of keel
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.