Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/72nd Flower class corvette & U boat  (Read 3561 times)

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
1/72nd Flower class corvette & U boat
« on: August 29, 2015, 05:21:33 pm »

H everyone, I've just acquired one of each above, & I'm going to R/C the Corvette, does anyone know the best place to get a shaft & prop etc for it, plus best type of motor ? Also I seem to remember you could get nice wooden decks for the U boat, I've found a place in the USA that does them, does anyone know of a supplier here in the UK ? Cheers for any help As always much appreciated. Cheers Dan.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Re: 1/72nd Flower class corvette & U boat
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 06:30:18 pm »

Hi

I've done a couple of the Corvettes and I use a 200mm 8" 4mm shaft with a plastic propeller - about 35mm dia.
Cornwall Model Boats sell all this stuff.

I use a 385 brushed motor with a cheapo '120A' electronic speed controller (it's probably only 10 Amp but the sellers like to say it's 120A) Both from Ebay.

I use a  RC car-type NiMH racing pack because they are cheap and they fit all my models - 6V to 9.6V.

If I give them 'full beans' they get up and go like rockets - at 1/4 throttle they sail very nicely and look good on the water.

I use any old radio set because the lake I use is less than 100 yards across. Hobbyking do 6-channel 2.4GHz sets for about £20 and they work fine.

These are only my choices - anyone else will give you a different answer.

As for the U-Boat - Which one are you doing? I started a Revell VII C yesterday.

Cheers

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 10:37:29 pm »

Cheers for the info Plastic, much appreciated  :-))  I'll look into getting a shaft etc. Yours looks nice on the water btw  :-))  All the best Dan.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 10:39:34 pm »

Oh the U Boat is the Type VII basic version, I prefer that one really as it's the most common one seen Das Boot etc  :-)  Won't R/C that one though, to fiddly  {:-{  Cheers Dan.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 06:58:00 am »

You're welcome.

My sub is going to be RC - just a surface runner though.
All the 'sub' assemblies are built and just balanced together for test-fit and I've fitted the propshafts into the hull sides.

This is my VII C so far:

Captain Povey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 04:02:03 pm »

Hi, I am pretty sure I got all the running gear, prop, shaft coupling and motor from deans Marine and used an Mtronics speed controller. Cheers Graham

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 09:09:39 pm »

If a slim outer tube shaft can be got, go for that.  The "standard" type needs a great deal of care drilling the hole in the skeg as there is very little spare plastic.  An outer tube a couple of mm smaller (like the Graupner ones of fond memory) might make life easier.
Fortunately it isn't a high speed boat, measure the one in the kit, use the same size.  The one in the kit "can" be used, but a commercial one is likely to be easier to fit and tougher in use.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 02:21:29 pm »

Thanks for the information chaps, most appreciated. I'll wait for her to arrive & do some measurements & see what I can source  :-)) 
Has anyone done a build log on one of these ? been looking but can' find one  {:-{

Plastic your U boat looks good, Have you thought about getting a wooden deck replacement for it ?

Oh Cap Povey your Corvette looks the business  :-))

Cheers Dan.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 03:54:47 pm »

Hi Dan

If you do a search on the forum for Revell Flower Class, you'll find lots of build logs of those models.
As I said, no two are the same and everyone has their own idea of the 'correct' way to build.

As you can guess from my username, I don't like natural materials on my boats - they tend to rot, swell, split, soak up water, crack and generally misbehave in damp environments.
I might consider a brass photo-etch kit for the sub, but as my boats are built to be used, 90% of the time they are 50' away so I only bother with stand-off detailing.

I try to get the best effect for the least possible money for two reasons - less money lost if it sinks or more profit when I sell it (I'm not sentimental about my boats).

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 09:00:06 pm »

Hi Dan

If you do a search on the forum for Revell Flower Class, you'll find lots of build logs of those models.
As I said, no two are the same and everyone has their own idea of the 'correct' way to build.

As you can guess from my username, I don't like natural materials on my boats - they tend to rot, swell, split, soak up water, crack and generally misbehave in damp environments.
I might consider a brass photo-etch kit for the sub, but as my boats are built to be used, 90% of the time they are 50' away so I only bother with stand-off detailing.

I try to get the best effect for the least possible money for two reasons - less money lost if it sinks or more profit when I sell it (I'm not sentimental about my boats).

Fair point  :-)) :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.