Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yet Another Revell VII C Sub…. (surface runner)  (Read 1917 times)

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
Yet Another Revell VII C Sub…. (surface runner)
« on: August 25, 2015, 03:44:26 pm »

I’ve just received a 1/72 Revell VII C kit sub and I’m thinking of turning it into a surface-running, tank-steering RC conversion.

I'm thinking of a low-cost, fit-n-forget installation.

The deck is in 3 parts so with the centre-deck siliconed into position (emergency access) and with a 3.5mm charging socket & on/off switch on top of the conning tower (this would give me at least 3” freeboard so they should be fairly splash-proof on the lake).

I’m not going to be using a WTC, just mounting the running gear as though it was a normal surface ship. The front & rear compartments would be foam-filled and lead-ballasting used in the bottom of the centre compartment.

Running gear will probably be 12” long 2mm propshafts, 20mm props, 280 or 385 motors, twin ESC, 6V battery, 2.4GHz radio.

Has anyone got experience of these models or has anyone done something similar to this? Is there anything that I need to be careful of?

Cheers

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Yet Another Revell VII C Sub…. (surface runner)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 05:50:47 pm »

Hi Plastic I would use the 385 motors not sure about 2.4 radio more than likely the r/x could be below the water line which may give problems. Max length of 2mm shafts is about 12in what type of drive battery are you going to use? Not sure but some one on this site may have done a conversation on this model p/m sent to you also .

Stan.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 06:23:03 pm »

Hi Stan

Thanks for that - I'm probably going to use a NiMH racing pack and the receiver will be stuck to the underside of the deck so it will be above the waterline.

RC will be a cheapo Hobbyking 2.4GHz set.

I'm thinking of building the hull by gluing the shafts, motors and ESCs into their respective hull halves with the shafts supported by the rear bulkhead. When it's all working properly, then glue the 2 hull sides together.

The front and rear compartments will then be filled with spray-foam.

The centre section will have the battery & ballast fixed into the bottom after careful sealing.

Last thing is to silicone the centre deck with the conning tower into position - Bobs your uncle!

Feel free to laugh at my plan.  :}

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:35:56 pm »

HI Plastic seems to me you have things under control. Look forward to some pictures of the build all the best.

Stan.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:55:55 pm »

Go for it, lookin forward to the finished result:O)
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.