Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Unknown Yacht?  (Read 8580 times)

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
Unknown Yacht?
« on: August 26, 2015, 04:16:53 am »

Hello everyone,
Can someone help me out by identifying this model, I was given it yesterday with no information at all.
Is it a particular sailing class. It stands around 8 feet tall from tip of keel to top of the mast.
There appears to be a few rigging wires missing but in general its in good condition.

Many thanks.

Steve.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Unknown
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 08:13:33 am »

Looks like a Marble head.
What's the hull length?
Should be 50 inches.

Looks a nice one.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Unknown Yacht?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 01:04:00 pm »

Hi and thank you.
She measures approx 51 1/2 inches.

Steve

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 01:22:26 pm »

Marbelhead and a nice looking one as well lucky you

Dave

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 01:53:27 pm »

Thanks, at least I know what she is now. She has a few rigging wires / lines missing so I'm thinking of getting her in the water as the only other thing I know is that she was completed in 2002 and was never sailed, just stored in a loft.

Steve

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 02:59:56 pm »

In your first post you said that there 'appears to be a few rigging line missing'.
Is this because you only have one shroud on each side?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 03:12:15 pm »

Depends on what rig it is Tiger Tiger...the smaller rigs only have 1 shroud on them and obviously the taller rigs have 2 one top of mast to the hull the second is usually on a cross spar to the hull

Dave

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 03:16:17 pm »

Hello, I have two steel wires from the mast, one comes from the very top which goes through the spreader.
The other is part way down. these are either side.
On the deck there is an aluminium angle that these clip to, the angle has a series of holes. Im not sure which they go in, I presume these are for adjustment. I am short of the stainless steel turnbuckles on two of the lines.
Therefore I wondered if anyone knew of a good supplier of these.
The forward line s made from cord which goes from the bow to the top of the mast.
Lastly the rear line is missing. there are two eyelets at the stern, I presume this is cord also with a cleat attached just as the forward one has.
So basically guys I need help on the correct method of rigging one of these. I got my Atlantis down to a fine art but I presume the Marblehead is more for racing? and would imagine there is different criteria to observe.
I don't know who made the original kit, all I know is the sails are made by Nylet.

Much appreciation for your help.
I later found out the gentlemen that gave me this model said it was made by his father who sadly passed away shortly after its completion so I would love to get her in the water and show his son his dads boat in the water.

Steve

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 03:46:09 pm »

Nylet best place for rigging bits.......use Conger/Tope wire trace in 100lg breaking strain any sea fishing tackle shop stocks it if not ebay...make sure you get the crimps with it.....dead easy to crimp....thread crimp on to wire....wire through tunbuckle   then through the crimp....then back through the crimp....doesn't matter which way and simply clamp down on the crimp......as for the missing rear shroud....use a length of wire just make a simple loop in the end closest to the stern and make a length of dacron thread with a bowsie in it so you can tension the shroud

Dave

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 07:32:15 pm »

Hi Steve, a very nice Marblehead who's lines are reminiscent of an Oliver Lee design, possibly a Tornado although that was in production around 1990 & from what I can remember the stern & rudder were slightly different. Can you confirm if it is a fiberglass or wooden hull & possibly a close up shot of the goose neck & kicking strap arrangement which may help in identification. Unusual to have a forestay on a Marblehead rig, that design having all but died out in the early eighties, which leads me to think it may be an older design that was completed many years after production. If it is an Oliver Lee design, I guarantee it will sail beautifully.

Glenn
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 09:46:29 pm »

There you go, hope this solves the mystery.

Steve

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 09:47:54 pm »

Oh nearly forgot.
It is fibre glass hull.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 05:31:04 pm »

Depends on what rig it is Tiger Tiger...the smaller rigs only have 1 shroud on them and obviously the taller rigs have 2 one top of mast to the hull the second is usually on a cross spar to the hull Dave

Terminology is 'cap shrouds' and 'lower shrouds' .  O0

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 06:10:39 pm »

Thanks for that Nemo, that certainly makes sense.

A little bit more information I have received is that the hull was made as a test piece by British Hovercraft on the Isle of Wight, after completion they were destined for the skip, however they were rescued and brought back for this guys father to add the deck etc.

Steve.

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 11:23:13 pm »

Hi and thank you.
She measures approx 51 1/2 inches.

Steve

Then while it is close to a Marblehead, I don't think that you would get a measuring certificate on it. I think that the allowed length is 50" +3/4" for a bumper.  It is nice though.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 08:00:04 am »

Hi Steve,

She is indeed a lovely yacht.
As far as the shrouds go, with the mast in position (presumably there is more than one position,for trim - see initial yacht set up articles elsewhere ) The lower shrouds go very slighly aft of right angles to the mast eg one shroud plate hole, the upper shrouds go a couple of holes aft of that, to be able to make the mast take up any bow required for the mainsail set. The slight aft rake of both shrouds is to help counteract the forward pull on the mast of the forestay set up. Along with the backstay this spreads the load right down the mast, top to lower section.

I have assumed you are a complete yacht novice ! - Apologies if I have just done a brief article on sucking eggs and the teaching thereof !   O0 >:-o

Just gone back to your original posting, the two eyes on the stern, assuming they are equidistant either side of the centre line are for a 'strop' arrangement for the backstay. This is a rigging line from the aft end of the mast head 'crane' down to the aft end of the deck with a bowsie adjustment near the deck. I always take mine to clip on an eye on the aft centre line but some prefer to clip on to a loop tied off either side, I'm sure there are some photos of this set up scattered round on here. Looking at the photo I see a drain cap over the rudder post which doesn't look like it leaves any room for a centre backstay eye, hence the strop arrangement

Mike

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 08:09:17 am »

Terminology is 'cap shrouds' and 'lower shrouds' .  O0

Ill consider myself told.off.then

Dave

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 08:39:42 am »

Hi Mike, yes I'm quite a novice, I had an Atlantis which is similar in some ways which gave me the basic idea. It's just getting used to the configuration of this type and how she needs to be rigged correctly.
I have to try and find some stainless steel shroud tensioners. The ones fitted have an eye on both sides, using left and right hand threads. I have not been able to locate any as yet.

Again many thanks for your help.

Steve.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 09:38:56 am »

Hi Steve, you're welcome.
If you google model yacht supplies you should get a choice of suppliers. No doubt very shortly there will be people coming on with links to their choices as well.
Best of luck with your project, I'm sure you will bet a great deal of pleasure with such a fine yacht

Mike

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 09:49:48 am »

Nylet will have what you need amongst others.
Looking again, it does not look like it has provision
for a bumper, and is it the photo angle or does the
fin look a tad too far aft?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 10:14:46 am »

I looked through Nylet, I couldn't find any of the double ended tensioners, I will look again.
Should the fin be dead centre?
I need to learn about the holes in the deck also, why there is a series of holes for the mast to sit in.

Regards

Steve.

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 10:40:05 am »

Just a few more pictures.

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 10:52:17 am »

A few more.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2015, 11:18:28 am »

Try pj sails for the turnbuckles, the mast step holes are for getting the balance right. When all is finished and ready for test sail you set the sails.for a broad reach (half out) with mast stepped in the middle hole you let the yacht sail off and not touch the rudder. If the yacht tries to sail up into the wind then the centre of effort is too far aft. You then move the mast one step forward, set it up again and repeat until the yacht sails more or less straight, with a slight tendency to move up Ito the wind. If she falls off the wind then everything is in the other direction and the mast is stepped aft in similar method that is why the other attaching points have multi holes so that shrouds jib swivel etc. can be moved in step with the mast. When you are happy then the yacht is in balance. Re the fin position it looks fine in relation to the mast step, I am sure she was built by someone who knew his stuff !
Now must get back to cutting the lawn as she who shall be obeyed is muttering !

Mike

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2015, 11:45:26 am »

Thanks again Mike,
Can you identify what type of rigging cord is used as in the photograph.
Thanks for the reasons why etc, its a great help.
After looking closely she is going to require a re-spray, the paint is cracking on the rudder and I have noticed a couple at the bow.
But hopefully she will go in the water within a few months or so or even next spring, it doesn't help having to work away so much.

Again many thanks.

Steve.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.