Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Banned from the lake  (Read 6515 times)

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
Banned from the lake
« on: August 25, 2015, 07:11:55 pm »

Feel sorry for this person.

http://forces.tv/72102164

Stavros

Re: Banned for lake
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:31:30 pm »

Beat me to it was just reading that on Face book....I wouldn't have bothered to ask the ruddy parish council just got on with it, bureaucracy gone stark raving mad

Dave

sparkey

• Full Mayhemer
  • I think I am as mad as I think I am then I am mad
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:43:07 pm »

It seems this Parish council knows nothing about ducks and model boats,how many of us sail in lakes and ponds with ducks,the ducks very soon get used the boats(providing they are not I.C. or fast electric) and we avoid the ducks,many of the guys in our club bring food for the ducks and when they see the boats they know it is feeding time and gather round to be fed,they more to worry about with the Pike and Foxes in that area than us,the council should stick to people dropping litter and leave this harmless old gent alone.......Ray 
My boats are all wood like my head fluctuat nec mergitur

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:42:50 pm »

Twits, Just go and play with it in the pond and be mindful of the wildlife..

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:02:55 pm »

Our pond has had Geese and Swans in attendance as we sail and they are not overly bothered about even our air boats. The Swans did leave but only because one year the Geese were breeding and pestered them away, and this year, we think the weed shortened the area of clear landing/takeoff water.

I wonder where the councillors get their information from for their decisions?

Pond weed is your enemy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 11:12:57 pm »

The problem is that some one asked.  Do it and as long as it is not anti social the local authoriyies have to have a bye law or give a reason why.
It is so easy to say NO.
regards Roy

inertia

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 11:30:00 pm »

I'm with Larry Long Build here. I doubt very much if this decision was put to a full council vote - it's more likely just the opinion of some loud noise on one of the committees - and I reckon that if the guy did go ahead anyway then they would probably blow themselves up with righteous indignation.
At the same time I wonder how big that pond really is. A 4' V-T fireboat is not a slow beast and needs a fair amount of water to operate properly.
DM

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 11:35:12 pm »

Most of our club's boat's are IC, the ducks don't seem to give a monkey's, they just amble out of the way. We usually have to wait for them to shift out of the way by cruising past rather than them panicking and hurtling off or indeed showing any concern at all, even with a train of young ones behind they still aren't' bothered.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 12:37:51 am »

It is worth remembering that this was the Parish Council (picture the Vicar of Dibley crew), and not the borough council. The decision would probably have  been made on how they feel, based on what the believe to be so, and not on hard facts. Unless the pond is part of the 'freehold of the parish', the Parish Council can do little, except perhaps sue, and I doubt that the diocese would want to support this.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 08:24:10 am »

Absolutely ridiculous.

The Gentleman was only doing what he thought was right in informing them and they took it upon themselves to try and put a stop to an entirely harmless hobby.

I hope Mr Cooper has many happy hours sailing his Model Boat to come. Perhaps we should extend an invitation to Mayhem next year?

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 09:09:37 am »

Can a parish council actualy Ban anything ?

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 09:25:48 am »

Does anyone want to bet that the head of the Parish Council lives in that big Georgian House at the north end of the duck pond ;) ;) ;)
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 10:05:03 am »

As I thought, it's not the biggest of ponds for a fast launch

Measuring it using Google Earth its coming out at 160feet by 70ft which isn't all that bad. Yes a 4ft Model will move across there quite smartly but I'm sure he isn't going to be tearing it around.
It's probably well within the diameters of what most modellers will keep their craft in anyway I would have thought,

I've just measured up the pond at Wicksteed park and it comes out at about 70% the size of that, which I reckon most modellers would be quite happy using.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 10:12:41 am »

Petty bureaucrats pumped up with their own importance don't you just love them, OK the pond is not that large but I expect this 80 year old gent just wants to sail his boat responsibly and while away a couple of hours, my advise to him is go ahead and sail his boat, it would be a brave parish councillor that tried to stop him, especially if the press got wind of it. <*<

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 11:26:06 am »

I had a very similar problem with a Borough Council. After many discussions with them over my sailing in their 4 acre lake, they decided there was no legal effect which could ban me from doing so, however, they wanted a fee from me.
I argued the point on a matter of principle, not one of cost and heard no more from them. I have been sailing there now for more than 2 years! On one occasion when I was sailing, I was approached by a gent who congratulated me on my 'magnificent yachts' and ended by saying he enjoyed watching them very much. As he left, he offered his help if I should ever need it as he was Chairman of the Borough Council!!. Incidentally, this lake is populated by hundreds of waterfowl, swans, ducks, migrant geese etc and we live together very amicably.  O0

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Banned from the lake
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 09:17:58 pm »

Llandudno model yacht pond is infested by swans and  when we use that lake in winter, both we and the swans enjoy "swan herding" with R/C model boats.

Once they have gathered in one corner, we feed them. Real food, none of this bread crusts for us and then they break away and we start again.

They are sorry when we go for lunch.

Widlife are happy to share their habitat with all manner of creatures, including us. :-))

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 09:32:16 pm »

Understand the frustration, there are some nice freshwater lakes near me. Boats are banned as dangerous to fish, wild live aka ducks and a nuisance to fisherman.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 10:59:54 pm »

Understand the frustration, there are some nice freshwater lakes near me. Boats are banned as dangerous to fish, wild live aka ducks and a nuisance to fisherman.

I would have thought fishermen were more dangerous to fish than model boats.  %% {-)

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 02:57:25 am »

The fish in our pond swarm the model boats, as the propellers kick
up the silt, and they find yummy things to eat.

:-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.