Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:72 scale model Danish train ferry, the Freia  (Read 27309 times)

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
Re: 1:72 scale model Danish train ferry, the Freia
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2015, 05:16:14 pm »

A little trawl of the internet has come up with some pictures of train ferry docks as I imagine the one I might construct for Freia.  These two photos of the docks at Dover where therre was a large tidal range.  So in fact the ferry would come into a sort of graving dock and when in the gate would be raised from the dock floor and then water pumped in to raise the ferry to the exact level of an almost fixed link span.  What interests me is that the dock is almost the same size as the ferry and so the ship is guided into place and can then be held by the link-span.

Entrance to the dock is on the right hand of the top photo, the ship backs in and connects to the link span.

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2015, 05:20:54 pm »

And here is a German arrangement, on the Baltic with very little tidal range and the ships back in to ship shaped holes and link into the rail tracks.

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2015, 05:31:59 pm »

With regard to the Dover train ferries - they were only ever stern loaders.  They had buffer stops toward the bows in the main.  If a ship was 'multi-purpose' (for instance the BR vessel Vortigern), then the buffer stops were portable and the central pair were a heavy duty beam linked as a counter-balance to the bow watertight door.  The ships would only ever load and unload rail traffic over the stern.

Other than estuarial train ferries across short crossings, I am not sure that many actually loaded across the bow as the openings were not wide enough.  That is not to say that "Freia" didn't - I am not familiar with her so cannot comment on her arrangements.

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2015, 05:59:32 pm »

Apart from a few double-ended small ferries run in Denmark the majority seem to have loaded and unloaded over the stern as you say. 

I do have one picture I have found of Freia with bow door open appearing to be connected to a railway link-span though one cannot be sure as there is no train on it!  "Freia" is said to have been innovative - the bow door was one feature but the fact that cars could be loaded by the ro-ro method seems to have been the main feature of innovation and on the main route she ran on she apparently mainly carried cars rather than trains

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2016, 09:11:37 pm »

Back after a bit of a break - here is some docking video if you click on the YouTube link below....  I might now build that dock.....

Video uses slow motion for more realistic effect.  I now need to practise with both ship and camera!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqptOtkp3EQ

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2016, 09:30:50 pm »

very nice
she sails well . You could build a dock were she wedges her self in so she lines up.see link

john

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy0G6x1pBq0

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2016, 09:32:19 pm »

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2016, 09:38:32 pm »

very nice
she sails well . You could build a dock were she wedges her self in so she lines up.see link

john

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy0G6x1pBq0

One day maybe - that is quite a set up - I like it!

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2016, 08:07:12 pm »

Here is a film of another of my ships the MV  Gullfoss.  She is the same scale as the Freia, also built in Denmark, but a cargo and passenger motor vessel built in 1947 to sail between Edinburgh and Reykjavik and Copenhagen which she did until 1974.  I have fond memories of sailing on her.  Always very rough on the  three day crossing and my mum and I always seemed to be the only passengers enjoying the food for some reason! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x3RPRv-A8dk

Anyway enjoy the video!

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2017, 06:51:20 pm »

It's a long time since I posted but here finally is a video of the Freia docking on a linkspan. 

The creation is very simple.  A tiny magnet attached to the underside of the linkspan attaches to a similar magnet on the bow and the stern of the ship.  Ship approaches and the linkspan automatically attaches.  Even the rails line up!  I tried a magnet on the side of the ship to attach it to the dock also but the Freia couldn't pull away.  Instead I use a guide bar which you can see in the video, but which will be painted black eventually when the dock is completed. The linkspan is enough to hold the boat in dock until you want to sail away.

So if you watch the video through you can see both forward and backwards approaches on to the linkspan.  No bow thrusters used - everything depends on twin props.  It was a rather blustery day and the ship gets blown about a bit!  Now to populate the dock with buildings and paint it.  Others in our club have produced some fantastic docks which we can set up on sailing days.

Enjoy the link to video on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/vYoDCbTPyuY
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.