Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 30 Years of Neglect - Restoration of Chris Craft Constellation  (Read 3363 times)

Chris Craft

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!

Hello everyone!I am attempting a restoration of a scratch built 60s era Chris Craft Constellation. This boat was built for my grandfather by a dear friend who modeled her after his actual 1965 Constellation. She is named "Joel" after my grandfather Joseph and grandmother Eleanor. After my grandparents passed, the model was stored in our cottage boathouse for 30 years and was lived in by mice and crushed by a falling roof.

I took interest in restoring the boat this summer and so far I have disassembled her down to the hull and cleaned out the mice nesting and feces /:I have never attempted anything like this before and I would be grateful for any advice that anyone has to offer. I think the most logical next step is to re-paint the hull and possibly replace the cross beams (they were chewed on by the mice) Is this wise? Should I leave the "bones" alone?

I have attached photos of the model in various phases of disassembly. Thanks again for any advice!

Chris Craft

• Shipmate
Re: 30 Years of Neglect - Restoration of Chris Craft Constellation
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 01:35:44 am »

More Photos...

sigfortunata

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:43:39 am »

Hi, sadly I can't offer you much advice on specifics as I am a newbie here myself, but I have to say its a fantastic opportunity to save and restore this glorious model and I envy you.

Looking at full size restorations the M.O. appears to be chop out and replace any damaged wood and I would certainly do the same on a model whilst its all stripped back.

Please post pics of your progress

Best wishes and good luck

Steve

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 11:03:09 am »

Hi Steve and welcome to Mayhem.   :-))

The work on your restoration will have to be very sympathetic.  The integrity of the woodworking has to be maintained.  At what point will the original be lost, as the damage seems quite deep. 

I do not envy you the task ahead and advise you seek professional help.

All the best in your quest.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 10:01:16 am »

Hi Chris Craft

If you google the boat name you will find an old free plan of the boat(26 and 1/4 inches in length), as it a PDF 908kbs it will not attach on this website.
It this a Berkley Models Inc. West Hempstead new York U.S.A. Kit No.CC-9 made 1959.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 06:52:42 pm »

Hi Chris Craft

If you google the boat name you will find an old free plan of the boat(26 and 1/4 inches in length), as it a PDF 908kbs it will not attach on this website.
It this a Berkley Models Inc. West Hempstead new York U.S.A. Kit No.CC-9 made 1959.

You could put a link in to the website for the plan!  I know I'd like to see it.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 09:44:43 pm »

I do not envy you the task ahead and advise you seek professional help.

ken

OI!
You calling us professionals?  <*<
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 10:20:36 pm »

Hi Chris Craft

What a lovely boat to start on. Once cleaned out, make a card or paper template of the mouse eaten former, it lookes like it is balsa wood, cut a new one fron similar thickness, very carefully cut away the old former, looks like the glue is brittle but the hull looks like it is balsa as well so go carefully, the chewed inner edges to the deck could be patched with new wood let in.

Does not look like it had motors fitted but that would be easy to fit, with a rudder as well.

Painting may be a problem as it is probobly lead based paint, use a mask when sanding and clean well before you remove it. Acrilic paint would be the way to go, doesnt usualy react, but!!!! test a small area first.

Dont be to aggresive when sanding, remember its balsa and probobly soft, sand enough to key the surface then a coat or two of primer, rattle cans are good for this type of job.

Hope this helps

Mark

Tugs are for pulling
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.