Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gun mount rotation - how to control? + secondary question about circuits  (Read 2626 times)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer

I'm at the doodling and head-scratching stage with some aspects of the next build, and one of these is a small gun platform.  I'd like to be able to throw the flaps or gear switch on my TX and thereby make the platform rotate fairly slowly back and forth through an arc of 90° or so.

Given that I have only hand tools and am on a very limited budget, I can't see me doing it with a motor and a geared / mechanical drive, so we're talking servo here.  Can I slow down a servo electronically without a major loss of torque?  How do I do the continuous cycling from end to end of its travel?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether? 

Anyhow, following on from that ...

Where do I find diagrams for circuits to do useful things like control servos?  All I've found so far is diagrams either for ESCs, TXs, RXs or lights or ones involves programming chips (which it outside my experience). I'm hopeless at electronics theory but I have a work history in PCB and PA amplifier assembly so I'm perfectly at home with a soldering iron, Veroboard and components - but where on earth does a chap find useful circuit diagrams for modellers?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Gun mount rotation - how to control? + secondary question about circuits
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 02:52:27 pm »

Hi ya there

if you have a look at Component Shop under ACTion Electronics - they do a servomorf thinga mee jiggy - its plugs in between the Receiver and the Servo and this can extend the travel of the servo movement and also you can alter the speed of the Servo.    I don't know if you can get it in kit form still, but you could at one time.

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/p96-servomorph.html

But, if you like the DIY have a look over on Technobots - they used to do a DIY one - much the same thing as the ACTion one only you build it yourself on strip board.

Alan Bond or afb on this forum does the circuit and if you get in contact with him, no doubt he can supply all the bits and pieces and he also has his own website - here is a link to that :-   www.forge-electronics.co.uk

aye

John 
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 05:41:42 pm »

Thanks for that John.  Very helpful  :-)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Kimosubby

• Shipmate
  • This hobby wasn't my idea - so why should I change
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 07:19:43 pm »

was just browsing arduino on here and spotted your posts, have you tried here
http://modelradioworkshop.co.uk/shop/servo-control-devices/turret-servo-controller/  it's a turret servo controllers £12.50

Good luck, happy hunting, Kimosubby.

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 08:06:39 pm »

That's a very useful site.  Thanks Kimosubby  :-)

Kimosubby

• Shipmate
  • This hobby wasn't my idea - so why should I change
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 08:16:25 pm »

My pleasure Norman.

I've just read your original post re circuits etc.  Try googling  servo control circuit diagrams, that gives loads of sites, and then there's this one because I built this one for myself. Loads of stuff here for you to play with.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Drive-Servos-with-a-555-timer-IC/

Aye, Kimmo  (like you I teach myself by giving it a go).

555 chips are about £0.15, I buy them in tens from Rapid or JPR Electronics  (other suppliers are available!)

The Old Fart

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 08:41:58 pm »

I have a Turnigy 9x and an i6 transmitter.

both have extra potentiometer knobs which control direct to the receiver, makes rotation of gun mounts , and in my case, fire monitors on my boats very easy to control.

afb

• FORGE ELECTRONICS
  • Full Mayhemer
  • more wires than wood in my boats!
    • FORGE ELECTRONICS
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 08:56:26 am »

Further to Bluebird's post, I now have a much improved version of the original Technobots DIY servo controller and you can buy a ready made unit from www.scalewarship.com. Follow Bluebird's link to my own website where you can download the Servo Controller instruction leaflet to review its features and maybe find other gizmos that are of interest.
in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.