Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound module question  (Read 3029 times)

ddmckee54

• Full Mayhemer
Sound module question
« on: August 28, 2015, 04:14:25 am »

I've got a pretty much stock Seaport Workboat so I not really sure where to post this.  I just use the boat to annoy the ducks and geese in the local pond.  It's pretty much a standard boat on the outside, but I have a kind of unique drive system.

I've ripped out the original electronics and am using an HK60F to control the boat.  The transmitter is set up as Mode 2.  Hey I'm an old fart and that's what I learned on many, many moons ago.  I'm using a Hobby King 30A aircraft type brushed ESC for motor control, it was cheap OK?   For direction control I'm using a DPDT switch controlled by the retract channel to shift between Forward and Reverse, it just seems more natural to have to manually shift directions.

I'd like to add a sound system but most of the systems I've found have the idle position at mid-stick, while my idle position would effectively be full reverse.  Other than building my own, I probably could but I've got too many other things to do, has anybody got any ideas?  Keep in mind that I want to have to sell off the minimum amount of body parts to be able to afford this unit.

Thanks,
Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

inertia

Re: Sound module question
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 09:59:35 am »

Don
Why not fit a proper forward/reverse marine speed controller with the centre point of the stick being dead stop? That way you have a whole choice of sound cards available; at present I can't think of any except (perhaps) the Model Sounds Inc "Shockwave" thing from Canada - and that's two hundred dollars.
DM

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 10:00:48 am »

Mechanical micro switch on the rudder arm?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

inertia

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 11:54:40 am »

Mechanical micro switch on the rudder arm?

So that would be......what? Engine sound on only when going to port?

For cheapness you can't beat a bit of stiff plastic or thin brass strip, clamped onto the coupling and whacking an empty tin can as it rotates. The speed increases with throttle, both ahead and astern, and the tin can acts both as a sounder and resonator.
Ta da!  8)
I claim no originality here - Mike Mayhew invented it in one of his more financially reckless moments (he had to buy the tin and eat the contents first).
DM

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 12:15:23 pm »

Quick..slap a label on it and market it.

First complaint; "The arm fell off."

:-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

ddmckee54

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 02:29:38 pm »

The reason that I haven't fitted a "proper" speed control is that I LIKE having to manually shift between Forward and Reverse.  It just seems more like something I'd have to do in a real tug, throttle back, shift the gear selector, then throttle up again.

Don

inertia

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 02:51:52 pm »

The reason that I haven't fitted a "proper" speed control is that I LIKE having to manually shift between Forward and Reverse.  It just seems more like something I'd have to do in a real tug, throttle back, shift the gear selector, then throttle up again.

Don

That's fine, Don. I'm not questioning or criticizing your method or the reason behind it - not even one tiny little bit. It's none of my business, of course, but you did ask for advice. My point is simply that your chosen setup does rather restrict your choice of available electronic sound units.
Dave M

ddmckee54

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 03:40:00 pm »

I understand that no offense was offered, and none was taken.  I just thought I'd ask and see if people with more experience in this matter had any suggestions/ideas.  I don't think I've looked at the Shockwave unit yet and I'll have to look into it, although that price is about as much as I've got invested in the whole boat up to this point.

Don

inertia

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 06:50:59 pm »

Don
Try the tin can. You sound like the sort of guy who would make it work well, if only to stick the finger up to the experts.
Dave M

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 08:53:27 pm »

The earliest mechanical sound effect that I recall was fitted to some Tri-ang locos, and was probably based on the traditional card in the bike wheel spokes of childhood memory.  I have heard of a piece of string in the coupler striking a bit of metal plate as it rotated, and was once asked how I got my engine sound a long tome ago when the "secret" was a misaligned motor.
The standard ESC became standard mostly because the vast majority found that operating that way was so simple, intuitive and natural.  Being different has it own rewards, but carries its penalties as well, in this case, the lack of extras designed to work with it.
If you are into electronics, I am sure that it is possible to hook some sort of circuit into the speed control output.  The signal there would be the basic PWM pulse rate plus whatever the motor was doing related to its speed of rotation plus the average voltage applied.  Between them something acceptable might be found, and, if derived before going to the reverse contacts, would be proportional to speed and work both forward and reverse.  Much like the string and plate.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

afb

• FORGE ELECTRONICS
  • Full Mayhemer
  • more wires than wood in my boats!
    • FORGE ELECTRONICS
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 10:34:00 am »

Don - the Technobots "Combo Mk2" and "Programmable" sound units allow you to set 'neutral' anywhere within the 1.0 to 2.0 mSec range thus allowing forward only or reverse only (!) operation. also handy for RTR boats supplied with 70/30 'pistol' type controllers.
in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.