Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deans Marine LCM "MIKE"  (Read 1903 times)

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Deans Marine LCM "MIKE"
« on: August 28, 2015, 12:40:30 pm »

After the failure of the Glasgow purchase, I've decided to go in a somewhat different direction and ordered a Deans LCM kit...fancied one for a while now, never built anything like this, so seeing as how I had the money, I decided to go ahead and buy one.

It'll be here Tuesday, so whilst awaiting it's arrival I'm getting things together for it. I have a brand new Planet 7 tx/rx combo, plenty of servos, two brand new Mtroniks 10a/h Micro Viper esc's, but I'm short on motors.
I would like the bow door operational, but that'll have to wait until the kit comes, then I can have a look and see how Deans recommend doing it.

Questions:
I have a pair of brand new 280's...are these going to be ok, or will they be too small, do you guys think?

Is it worth using independent motor control via an Action mixer on a craft like this?

What would be the ideal prop sizes to use...30mm or 35mm?

Power source...nimh's or a gel cell?

Any advice would be gratefully received as always...
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

inertia

Re: Deans Marine LCM "MIKE"
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 02:41:43 pm »

Uggett
While I'd always advise folk to see what the kit manufacturer recommends, I have found that sometimes their suggestions can be somewhat questionable.
IMHO your 280's would be too fast. I'd fit two of these motors http://mfacomodrills.com/motors/385ln.html and run them from a 3S LiPo. They are a lot more "torquey" than the standard 385 yet they draw less current. If LiPo still scares you - and it shouldn't - then you don't need great big Sub-C sized NiMH packs. You could get away with a decent capacity 10 x AA pack. Remember it's not so long ago that we needed Sub-C NiCad cells to get 1100mAH; now an AA cell can deliver over twice that and at 4A discharge. SLA batteries are very heavy and bulky items and there's not going to be a lot of room in this model to move a big battery around.
If you've used tank steering and you're happy with it then don't bother with a mixer; the two ESCs you have are more than man enough for the job. If you want to try a mixer then you already have a P82 which should operate them. If you want the full P94 Lite then you know where to go! I wouldn't run both motors from the same ESC or the two ESCs in parallel - I'm sure you'll need some form of motor-assisted steering. Props as per kit suggestion - I'd imagine 35mm 3-blade would be about the biggest practicable.
Deans' website mentions three different options for operating the door.
Keep us all up to date with the build.
Dave M

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
Re: Deans Marine LCM "MIKE"
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 03:07:34 pm »

Thanks, old chap...clear and concise information as always.

I shall heed your advice re the motors, I have a 12v 2200a/h AA pack of cells already (still don't really like lipo's  :embarrassed: )

Tank steering...yes, I can get on with that quite happily...props, got a fair selection of brass and plastic in 30mm-35mm sizes.

As for the bow door...somewhere in my cupboard I have a small sailwinch (if I can find it), so that may be the way to go with that.

Cheers Dave...
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.