Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Director Class paddle tug  (Read 7583 times)

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Director Class paddle tug
« on: August 21, 2015, 11:08:30 pm »

I worked on RMAS Faithful's paddles in the late seventies, memories of a lot of heating and wielding of sledge hammers to get the numerous pins out  %). In fact, due to a momentary lapse of reason, I lost the very tip of a little finger to the main engine on that tug.

Anyway, I have a hankering to make a  semi scale model, the main fearure being those paddles. Is there any history of plans or build for this class? Faithfull, Forcefull, and Director are the only names I recall.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Director Class paddle tug
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 11:51:32 pm »

Yes there is an MAP plan, see Director Class.
Roy

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 12:08:49 am »

Is that the old Model and Allied Publications setup? ( spent hours pouring over the handbooks in the sixties and seventies  %) ). After a brief search I can see that they still seem to be a business, but is there a place to buy plans? There's an Admirals Barge they also did which has a personal meaning for me I'd like to get hold of too.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 12:36:24 am »

Hi you need the My Hobby store web site tug is Forceful.

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/17026/forceful-mm1292-tug-plan

THis will take you to the plan at £17.50 per copy.

There is also a plan set of the paddles.
regards Roy

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 01:01:48 am »

Perfect, many thanks.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 09:12:53 am »

Hi  Jerry

If you ask the seller if the plan is with the mag that would be good, cos I have been stung a good few times, where plans have been missing.   You will also require (I think it is - the next 3 months mags to follow the build).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MULTI-LIST-SELECTION-OF-MODEL-BOATS-MAGAZINE-FROM-YEAR-1980-/361369641348?var=&hash=item54234f2184

Aye
John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 09:27:16 am »

Jerry,
The Hobby Store plans referenced only include the plans for non-feathering paddle wheels. For the complete masochistic experience of making feathering paddle wheels, you will need the two-plan set which was originally produced by the Model Maker Plans Service. I don't know if they are still available. You can of course cheat, retain your sanity and buy a set ready-made wheels.

If you like, I can lend you the wheel plans to be copied and for you to return the oily, grubby, much-annotated originals to me. I also have the Model Boats magazine articles that covered the build and can forward these to you. They refer to all the names of the Class. Mine is 'Grinder'.

PM me if interested

Regards,
Barry M

Kingston Mouldings made (make?) an excellent GRP hull.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 09:33:59 am »

MyHobbyStore still list the feathering paddle drawings by George Baker here: https://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/search.asp?k=forceful&x=30&y=11

Colin

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 02:16:53 am »

Thanks Colin. Feathering paddles are a must really, it's the memory of working on those that triggered this.

BarryM, a very kind offer Sir, I'll look into the practicalities of the copying needs.

DaveB

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 07:56:56 am »

Hi Jerry
Mike Mayhew at Waverley models used to produce a set of working brass feathering paddles for the director class [/size]http://www.waverleymodels.co.uk/[/color]
Dave B

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 10:48:16 am »

I looked into building another one of these and thought of paddle wheels from Clyde Models, very impressed with his paddle kits
in my own little world

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 11:21:20 am »

I'll be making them, its my trade to make such things so it comes easily to me.

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 11:06:25 pm »

That is one lovely tug boat! I have the  paddle wheel plans coming and may order a hull.

Tom

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 11:30:31 pm »

The originals were one of the few paddler designs that had independent drive to each paddle. Replicate this on the model and the rudder is mostly redundant. She will turn on the proverbial sixpence.

I modelled her as she was before radar was fitted and liferafts replaced the lifeboats. The fire monitors traverse and squirt water for extra interest. This meant a break in the monitor supply hose connection if the superstructure was to be removable and the only place I found a suitable quick make and break coupling was in the USA.

Kingston Mouldings does still make a GRP hull. 

Barry M

Jerry Hill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 11:56:40 pm »

Is been a long time, it would have been 1978-79. Faithfull was under refit in Devonport Dockyard, and I recall she had a twin Diesel-Electric setup. It was whilst replacing engine mounts that muggins here stuck his little finger through the hole in the engine bed to check aligment to the mount when the suspended engine shifted and the mount slid a few millimeters neatly slicing the very tip of the skin on my finger off. Fully healed so no problem, but a lesson well learnt  {:-{.

The other activity my gang was involved in was the paddles. Many a day spent of scoffolding surrounding the paddles in dry dock, an excellent insight into base mechanical engineering as we sequentially heated and knocked out all of the pivot pins that seemingly complex mechanism has. Each pin and each section of framework went off to be refurbished. After refit and painting they were as good as new and a joy to see in action.  The mechanism itself is simple, it's the multiplying of it that's daunting I think.

Any model of it I make would certainly have independent drive. Its all about those paddles for me  :-)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 08:15:18 am »

Jerry,
This is probably telling my granny how to suck eggs but because so many of the components are duplicated, I found that production of the various brackets and drilling of the paddles etc., was best accomplished via jigs.

Cutting the side plates from solid and chain-drilling/filing all the cut-outs was a task which ended with two of them in the bin.

Good Luck!
Barry M

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 04:04:37 pm »

Have a abs hull, plans and the brass cut out and drilled , lying around in my garage. Forgot have the plans for the tug though not the paddles, have so many models to make , am at a loss what to do with this one.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 04:06:39 pm »

The brass being the paddles, the graupner paddles some people use are the wrong size and it ends up with the hull too far out of the water.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.