Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Independent paddle drive...yes/no?  (Read 9490 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Independent paddle drive...yes/no?
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2015, 08:25:25 am »

Yes, you are quite right; I had overlooked the 'twin screw with single rudder' configuration which I believe was also used by some warships and others.   (I would insert a woeful smiley here but Mayhem won't allow it.)

I particularly should have remembered it because my company had a class using such a configuration and, although I never sailed on them, reportedly the rudder effectiveness at low speeds was poor as it was remote from the prop thrust. Recourse had to be made to manoeuvring on the engines which brings us right back to the problems of steering paddlers!

I should have remembered all that but my brain cell plays tricks with the memory at times. (Cue more woeful smileys...)

Regards,
Barry M

bill stafford

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 01:06:50 pm »

hello barry,
  my becker is huge ,after all, its a stand well back scale model ,and was never intended to be anything but a quicky
almost 2 inch deep+3in. long ,becker blade approx. 1 in. long
as my paddler steers ok, this large rudder should be better , as long as the model is moving ,it will steer.
I have read ,that some german modellers have fitted a large, balenced ,fat rudder on the centre line , w 2 balenced rudders aft  of the screws,and they claim this steers as well as sterable korts rudders, please note , 3 rudders, no korts.
the original ships dont have too steer like our models ,so I dont want too build a bad handling vessel
food for thought+experimentation
bill s

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 12:01:25 pm »

Gentlemen, please accept my apologies for not following this post up (I'll accept a slapped wrist  <*<  or a verbal lecturing... >>:-( )

I have now tracked down another Glasgow, a superb model built by Chris G (there is a build log of it on here somewhere) I'm collecting it next Thursday (24th). It's built as per the kit with a single paddle shaft and a single motor, but because it's so well built I don't really want to start hacking it about to convert it to independent drive....knowing me, I'd end up making a right cock of things, so I'll be leaving things well alone.

Thank you all for your contributions though, I found them very interesting to read through.
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.