Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Engel Gato SS212  (Read 57576 times)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Engel Gato SS212
« Reply #125 on: August 04, 2016, 05:29:14 pm »

Alwas thought nihms were 1.2 v
5 cells  6 v.
Charging current depends on capacity.
Or have I been doing it wrong ?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2016, 05:46:06 pm »

hi.
I was just reading of the manual with the charger showing a table of cell per volt per amps up to 15 cells these chargers alter the rate and charge and discharge according to battery state.
alan

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #127 on: August 04, 2016, 05:54:46 pm »

A lot of the 12v so called smart chargers give you a fast charge rate
to charge in the field to keep you flying.
Apart from fast electrics, most marine applications use a more
sedate discharge and therefore will benefit from a more sedate
charge.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2016, 09:19:32 pm »

HI Alan
   What you said is spot on about charging nimh cells fully charged at 1.5 volt per cell but the delta detect circuit in the charger would be switching off at 1.54 volts, so if you was charging 4 cells the cut off voltage of the 4 fully charged cells would be about 6.16 volts.

I charge 4 packs of 4.6 amps in parallel which is a total of 18.4 amps and i charge them at normally 5- 7 amps which i don't take to be a fast charge. If you was talking about a fast charge it would be 18 amps which would not be good practice for the long life of the cells.

OK on sorted a charger there is so many on the market to choose from you get spoiled for choice. But it is nice if you won't to fast charge at the lake side so you can sail again that day plus alot of nimh can take a fair bit of abuse when you see alot of people charge there transmitters and use cheap wall chargers which have not got delta detect built in they put them on charge don't no how much charge is in the battery and leave it charging for 16 hours plus if they don't for get to unplug it i can not think there is much worse the abusing a battery than that but that is just my own view
          All the best John

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2016, 12:32:17 am »

John,
You are right (and Ned you are right too!). It does depend on capacity, like LiPo, the C rating is used. For fast charging 1C is as fast as you want to go. For better longer charge - C/10 is used. 
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

timgarrod

• Full Mayhemer
    • Alvaston Pirates Model Boat Club
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2016, 09:40:26 pm »

video of the sound effects on the gato https://youtu.be/QDETmcTej0k

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2016, 06:57:38 pm »

hi john.
at last cracked the stiff bow plane mech.
two 14 teeth timing pulley and one 185mm belt from mfa como drills.pulley bored out to 4mm do away with top plate with the four spacers,make bottom shaft to fit new pulley and coupling.
 !! bingo!!.spins very free no load on motor/gearbox.
alan b

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: August 30, 2016, 08:46:50 pm »

HI Alan
      Glad you got bow plane mech to work OK haven't took my Gato out for a few weeks have ripted a tendent in my back and i have never felt pain like it worst than having my heart bypass. Any way hope you are well won't to try to take the sub to bournville show as i said i would go don't know if you are going .
            All the best John

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: October 20, 2016, 07:55:14 pm »

:-))hi john.
had me head down got the gato wet,a few trim wrinkles,but on the right track.
cheers alan b

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2016, 06:59:19 pm »

HI Alan
       Glad to see you have got the sub in the water,i always try to trim mine up in a test tank the one we made for my engel gato i have now smashed it up sorry to say it was just in the way so it had to go down the tip. Alan i didn't go to Bournville for the last 3 month's i have been struggling to walk around with pain in my back  so sorry to say i have not even took the sub out it has just sat there, it just seem that every time I'm going to go to a show some thing always goes wrong it does start to make you feel that way. I have even thought about selling it but because the misses brought it for me it would not be right to sell it.
                    All the best John

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2016, 08:13:53 am »

hi john.
my test tank came from argos (paddling pool) need this as my lake is a 40ml round trip. gato seems ok a few tweeks needed.
went to bournville with my type 7 darnell had a good day. well on with my typhoon build now,going to the gym so I can pick it up !.
hope this post finds your back in better shape?.two of my lads and my daughter have had back ops,not nice.
cheers alan b.
nb   of to blackpool show to-day sea air and all that.

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2016, 07:10:24 pm »

Hi Alan
            Know what you mean about traveling i have to go to Derby to there pool to be able to sail the Engel Gato. Fine on going to Bournville i really wonted to go but my back was not up to it not as bad as it was but still get pain so trying to leave picking the sub up. Hopefully we will meet up at a show next year, sorry to hear about your two sons and daughter having back ops i don't think there is nothing worse than back pain.
       All the best Sub John

abreese

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2016, 08:56:24 am »

hi john.
speed controller in gato just said had enough,dont think it was up to the job,trying a m-tronics sub 40,should do the trick?.
just made a clear top for typhoon,now to fit periscope assembly,like trying to put a watch together,need this done now to see how far it pokes inside to fit other gear.
hope the backs better?.
cheers.  stressed of macclesfield

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2016, 05:11:51 pm »

HI Alan,
        Sorry to hear about speed controller going bang in the Engel Gato, this is why i like to make my own i know what is going into it. Fine on making the clear top for the typhoon, it's brough back memory's of the 3 hatches for my Engel Gato, you said about the periscopes assembly i have just took the periscope assembly and done a bit of reworking on it as i tried it the other day and it started to stick, so if in doubt rip it out is my motto. Trouble is you can spend so much time messing around with these model subs, i had another problem with the two drive motors for the prop shafts what happened was when Engel builds the gear box up all they do is put 2 screws through the ABS gray plate there is no washers on the screws or spring washers and there is no thread lock so the screws come undone because the motors get hot and the screws come undone ended up taking the back of the sub to bits and all the electronics out of the middle because i could not get the back tank forward enough to get the motors out what a job. So watch out for this on after what i have done they won't be coming out again.

You asked about the back problem it is allot better now but not quite right keep getting the odd pain when i move in a funny way but at least i can do things now
                           All the best John

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2016, 05:20:17 pm »

Get an FR40 from Mike Stothers. Very good controllers.

Also watch your lead lengths going back to the battery, often advisable to fit a low ESR cap or two close to the ESC if they're long.

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: June 25, 2017, 08:28:24 pm »

HI Guys                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Had a big problem with the engel gato today one of the bellows on the linkages for the rudder split and got around 1.5 pints of water in the bottom of the sub, it has blown a lot of electronics and i don't know if it will be worth repairing which is a sad end because it worked so well. I must say a big thanks to Tim for helping me get it out of the water what a pain in the back end and all for 60p rubber bellow. Has anybody else had problems with these splitting they don't seem to be as good as they was a few years ago                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             All the best Sub John

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2017, 05:24:16 pm »

I had a similar issue on an Akula submarine. The original bellows began to crack and split. The new bellows were extra thin compared to the original Engel ones. However, I bought my replacements from eBay.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2017, 07:28:11 pm »

HI Salmon                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Not had much interst in the sub over the last few months sorry with late  reply, but the good news is i have sorted out the water blowing some of the electronics in the Engel Gato but these rubber bellows do seem to be a pain in the back end. But at least it is all back together now and fully working once again, it is getting a bit cold now to go out and have your hands in cold water at least for me.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   I haven't even taken the big 12FT Gato out this year it is to much for me and the misses to do it on our own plus when you do take it out no body seems to leave you allown seems to take all the fun out of sailing it                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             All the best Sub John                                               

webbo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #143 on: October 13, 2018, 02:48:08 pm »

Can you tell me where you got the improved deck guns for the Engel Gato from.
Cheers Webbo

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #144 on: October 14, 2018, 10:50:53 am »

Mike mcguine aka big fat mike

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: October 14, 2018, 04:54:18 pm »

HI Webbo                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Wonted to get in contact with the guy that made the guns to see if it was OK to pass his phone number on will send you a private message with phone number hope it helps                                                                                    Sub John

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2019, 06:29:28 pm »

HI Guys

Bit of a up date on the Engel Gato, quite a bit ago i had a rubber below split on the linkage on the back of the sub ended up with quite a bit of water inside ended up having to take it apart to repair the electronics inside the sub got it all back together and thought job done, but no went to charge the batteries in the sub and it was only putting about 7amps in to cut a long story short some of the water had got into the packs in the bottom of the sub ended up taking it all apart again to replace battries, which came out at about £100 just because of some below splitting. Took the sub to Papplewick pumping station dive-in sub worked OK, but didn't find out till after the show that part of the depth control circuit was not working all because of taking the sub apart again.

My new project is building a new sub with a new tank system, the way the ballest system will work is no pumps no compressed air no pressure to build up inside of main air compartment. And no moving parts apart from a couple of valves. Hopefully this sub will also have the sonic control link to work under water not normal radio control, it is also quite possible to make the sub with no propellers or any moving parts to make the sub go forward. But this propulsion system will only work in salt water the basic idea you seen in the film hunt for red October which was called silent drive and it can be done.
                   All the best John

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2019, 06:37:36 pm »

A caterpillar drive! Cool!

sub john

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: May 06, 2019, 07:25:30 pm »

HI Salmon
      Hope you are well, yes i suppose it is caterpillar drive. I meant to get back to you about board for piston tanks quite awhile ago but i for got sorry. Can you remember the big Bosc monitor i lost  about 2 years ago didn't say anything but Pauline brought my another baby but i didn't know how i would get on with him, as her was very nasty but he has gone the same as the other one very nice nature  he was about 7inc long when we got him but after 18 months he is now 4FT long and weights 12.3 lbs he is a big lad and still 2 years to grow. will have to send you a PM nice to hear from you

All the best sub John

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: May 06, 2019, 10:47:10 pm »

I do remember and am happy that another is in your care!
Please PM me would enjoy it.
Peace,
Tom
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 23 queries.