Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic Smeed Bustler Tug  (Read 42670 times)

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Vic Smeed Bustler Tug
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:19:43 pm »

Many years ago my father, uncle and grandfather commenced construction of a Bustler tug, however for somewhat obscure reasons it was never finished, we don't even know what became of the hull.  Sadly my grandfather recently died and knowing we had the plans I thought it would be nice to build a new one.  Apart from the use of modern glues and tools I am also trying to build it as close to Vic Smeed's instructions as possible. Unfortunately the plans were very moth eaten so I invested in a brand new sheet.

Here is where I am to date.  The hull is basically together, but it needs its stern tube and final filling and sandsealing.  The hull for those unfamiliar with Bustler is bread and butter construction on a keel.  The plans recommended 1/8 ply for the keel but the sheet I had was quite badly warped so I splashed out on some 1/8 spruce to ensure a reasonable chance of success  :-))  The deck is 1/8 ply and I was thankful for my electric fretsaw, cutting the deck out was no challenge at all.  Some filling is required around the deck edges where I failed to sand the top of the hull sides to quite the correct profile (doh).

Next bit of thought after the hulls tidied up will go to the bulwarks.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Vic Smeed Bustler Tug
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 09:32:05 pm »

Hi Willlit, Bustler was my second scrath built model, mine was built when the plans first came put and I was about 16 / 17.  I remember enjoying the build especially the tumble home bulwarks  my boat was all balsa so I was almost holding them together as the balsa cement hardened.  It was pre RC so was was just free sailing.
It went a few years later (I was in the RAF) with my sister who emigrated to Tasmania, quite touching really.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your build.

kind regards Roy

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 09:43:00 pm »

Hi Willlit, Bustler was my second scrath built model, mine was built when the plans first came put and I was about 16 / 17.  I remember enjoying the build especially the tumble home bulwarks  my boat was all balsa so I was almost holding them together as the balsa cement hardened.  It was pre RC so was was just free sailing.
It went a few years later (I was in the RAF) with my sister who emigrated to Tasmania, quite touching really.

Look forward to seeing pictures of your build.

kind regards Roy

thanks Roy I am enjoying making it.  Do you remember how you did the bulwark around the stern?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 10:20:35 pm »

Hi Willlit, rather vaguely but I think I cut some wood to the vertical height of the bulwarks, placed it on the deck and cut lengths of 1/4 balsa to longer lengths a bit tapered and leaned them on the vertical height wood.

Thinking about it now I would use 1/4 wide wood. a  bit of trial and error taper the lengths towards the top and champhre the edges. to give a smoothe outer finish 

I would cut a piece of wood to a shape following the inner curve and top line of the bulwarks pin or clamp this to the stern deck.  Then use  1/4 inch wide slightly tapered lengths to lean on the jig you have clamped to the deck.  Start at the middle and work outwards to join the vertical side bulwarks. Use electricians sticky tape to hold the lot in place.  Do not worry about uneven lengths as you can sand down to the jig height when all is dry.  Then gently sand the outer part to a smooth  finish.  Fill where necessary.

Then remove the clamped on deck jig.

File the inner edges carefully to the same thickness when looking down on it and the fit a capping top with a slight over hang to the outside. 
Or if the top edge is satisfactory use a length of 1/16th. hard wood soak it and or steam it and bend it gently around the curve, any where will do and when dry glue and clamp it to the top outer edge and smoothe to shape,

I think that will work as the shape you have made is inherrently very strong.

Good luck,
Roy

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 11:14:52 pm »

thanks Roy I'll give it a go, sounds like a fairly straightforward method  :-)

Edmund

• Full Mayhemer
  • By the silvery Tay!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 12:58:41 pm »

Some filling is required around the deck edges where I failed to sand the top of the hull sides to quite the correct profile (doh).

Car body repair filler is fantastic stuff -it's saved many a lump and bump in the bottom of a boat - never be ashamed to have to use some - it often saves the day!!!

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 09:32:26 pm »

Car body repair filler is fantastic stuff -it's saved many a lump and bump in the bottom of a boat - never be ashamed to have to use some - it often saves the day!!!

Its excellent stuff isn't it, Dads Mountfleet Active used some around the stern.

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 06:12:27 pm »

A little bit more progress, the stern tube is in and I have filled around it to blend it into the hull a bit better.  I have filled around the deck and any little blemishes there were on the hull have been addressed, since these photos were taken its had about 5 coats of sand sealer rubbed down between each, as well as the rudder tube fitting.  Hopefully a coat of primer will see the bottom of the hull complete and I can get on with the bulwarks.

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 09:32:28 am »

I am not very happy with the sand sealer. Its got a multitude of cracks in its surface, almost like crazy paving. I wouldn't be surprised if it flaked off. To that end I am going to sand it right back and coat with a layer of epoxy. Is this a good idea?

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 10:50:09 am »

Rub down then use Halfords car laquer 3 coats...leave to dry then rub down to denib with !80  grit wet/dry...dry rub not wet...al you are doing is to denib it reaply 3 coats do  the same then apply your paint

Dave

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 01:46:18 pm »

My concern is that the hull is still too soft. I don't want to have marks a knocks appearing, hence why I considered the resin.

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 01:54:52 pm »

cover it with resin and cloth then that will be your ans....as sanding sealer alone wouldn't do it at all........

Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 10:13:57 pm »

Rub it back, and cover it with fine glass cloth and epoxy resin, and resin it in inside too (shouldn't require cloth there). That will make very tough and waterproof.

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 06:29:43 am »

I have bought some tissue, I already had resin. I have never done it before but I'm up for trying. Thanks for the suggestions.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 06:26:43 pm »

Good guide here. Tissue doesn't have a lot of strength, at least not when compared with cloth. http://www.bucks-composites.com/how-to-do/guide-surface-finishing

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 06:43:59 pm »

Hi all

I have to admit some of you modellers must mistreat your models. for the simple reason there are numerous people such as Vic Smeed, Glyn Guest and Colin Bishop - and meself :-) - who have built balsa wood models covered with tissue and dope - and the models are still around today, they have been in the water many times with many accidents but they still survive.   So what is wrong with using aircraft tissue, sand n sealer and dope? 

I know Dave Milbourn has just completed a model which I believe is in one of the modelling magazines and I think he uses Eze-Kote to cover the exterior. I believe he also uses a very fine matting or tissue.   By the looks of it Dave has had some excellent results with it.   I myself have used Eze-Kote to cover the exterior with similar good results.

aye
John

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 03:24:18 pm »

well its been a while since I picked up Bustler, this is due to having a bit of a disaster with the GRP resin I was going to try which was rather demoralizing and life in general took over.  In the end it was all stripped off and I've been happily tissueing the hull and slapping on layer after layer of thinned dope.  I think I am just about there, so after its dried for a few days I'll pop a coat of red primer on. 

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 11:31:01 pm »

a not terribly thrilling view of the upturned and sealed hull.

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 06:08:47 pm »

started the bulwarks, I nearly ran out of G clamps!  I used some hot water to assist the curve and made some balsa formers with strategic notches cut in to allow the G clamps to lock in.  I've split it as I just couldn't see it working in one hit the full length of the hull.

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 08:07:15 pm »

further progress tonight, bulwarks are a bit further round, gaps have been filled and the deck combing is on

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 11:01:17 pm »

A technique I have used for steaming plywood is wrap the wood in rag or tissue soaked with water, then wrap that in aluminium foil. Heat the foil with a hot air gun (I wear some leather gloves to avoid cooking myself). Plywood becomes very easy to manipulate after that.

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 12:00:58 am »

A technique I have used for steaming plywood is wrap the wood in rag or tissue soaked with water, then wrap that in aluminium foil. Heat the foil with a hot air gun (I wear some leather gloves to avoid cooking myself). Plywood becomes very easy to manipulate after that.

thats an interesting one I might try that

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 02:42:15 pm »

I'll remember that one! thanks for the tip.

Alex

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 12:24:38 pm »

Hi Willlit, rather vaguely but I think I cut some wood to the vertical height of the bulwarks, placed it on the deck and cut lengths of 1/4 balsa to longer lengths a bit tapered and leaned them on the vertical height wood.

Thinking about it now I would use 1/4 wide wood. a  bit of trial and error taper the lengths towards the top and champhre the edges. to give a smoothe outer finish 

I would cut a piece of wood to a shape following the inner curve and top line of the bulwarks pin or clamp this to the stern deck.  Then use  1/4 inch wide slightly tapered lengths to lean on the jig you have clamped to the deck.  Start at the middle and work outwards to join the vertical side bulwarks. Use electricians sticky tape to hold the lot in place.  Do not worry about uneven lengths as you can sand down to the jig height when all is dry.  Then gently sand the outer part to a smooth  finish.  Fill where necessary.

Then remove the clamped on deck jig.

File the inner edges carefully to the same thickness when looking down on it and the fit a capping top with a slight over hang to the outside. 
Or if the top edge is satisfactory use a length of 1/16th. hard wood soak it and or steam it and bend it gently around the curve, any where will do and when dry glue and clamp it to the top outer edge and smoothe to shape,

I think that will work as the shape you have made is inherrently very strong.

Good luck,
Roy

well I did it!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 12:23:05 am »

I've been watching this with great joy and nostalgia, as it was the first model I built myself at the age of 10 without my grand dad's help..........and to be honest I haven't a clue after 56 years as to its whereabouts or what happened to it...........but had great fun sailing it.
and when sorting out a load of old stuff the other day, I actually found my old plans for her again..........

might after my lifeboat is finished, build her again but with a grp hull, some resin fittings and use plasticard for the upper works.........

might be fun again.

thanks for the inspiration.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.