Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Vic Smeed Bustler Tug  (Read 42642 times)

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Vic Smeed Bustler Tug
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 07:55:30 pm »

I've been watching this with great joy and nostalgia, as it was the first model I built myself at the age of 10 without my grand dad's help..........and to be honest I haven't a clue after 56 years as to its where abouts or what happened to it...........but had great fun sailing it.
and when orting out a load of old stuff the other day, I actually found my old plans for her again..........

might after my lifeboat is finished, build her again but with a grp hull, some resin fittings and use plasticard for the upper works.........

might be fun again.

thanks for the inspiration.

you are most welcome :)

Vic Smeed's "Hobo" is next!

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 12:17:39 pm »

well some more progress made.  The stern bulwarks are complete and I have fitted a capping strip to the top edge, with judicious use of clothes pegs.  I've been fitting frames to the inside of the bulwarks too, these aren't specified on the drawings but I felt it had to have them.  The cable well cover has also been nearly completed.

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 02:20:02 pm »

further progress, the drawings don't specify bulwark frames but it looked naked without them so these were cut from 1/32 ply and glued in place.  The whole lot was treated to several coats of dope and Halfords red primer to seal it.  Quite a few little defects appeared that weren't so obvious so I either sanded these off with my stock of Tesco Value ladies nail files (really useful for getting into awkward corners) or filled them with squadron green putty.  I'm currently waiting for the filler to dry.  I have also made the engine room compartment cover.

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 02:30:55 pm »

masked up the uppers and sprayed on the antifowling today.  I thought about leaving it in the primer but thought I might as well use up some of the paint left from my old Peugeot 205!  Going to leave for a week now and come back to do the black.  Thank god for the Tamiya masking tape, no dramas at all.

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 04:09:23 pm »

Bustlers hull is now more or less painted.  The black went on ok (Halfords satin) and the boot top line (to disguise the iffy waterline) was done by masking up the waterline with lining tape and then spraying it with white primer.  The hull was then coated in Halfords lacquer, job done :)

just got to let the lacquer go off for a while before anything else is done.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 07:47:33 pm »

very nice...........she's looking well indeed,...............nostalgic thoughts flowing freely. O0

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 10:21:49 pm »

very nice...........she's looking well indeed,...............nostalgic thoughts flowing freely. O0

we are getting there, I'm going to leave the lacquer to set for a week and a bit before I touch it again!  I will be fitting the hull out next and then I'll do the superstructure.

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2017, 05:24:39 pm »

well I've been beavering away.  The shaft and propeller are on now, I have also sprayed the hull with Testors Dullcote to take the gloss off.  The superstructure is basically assembled, I'm just waiting for the tube for the funnel and various other bits of furniture to arrive.  I have deviated from the design a little as I wasn't convinced by the shape of the superstructure so have gone my own way with it.  And yes I did tidy those corners up!

VANYA

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2017, 10:06:03 am »

I look at this thread of Vic Smeeds models and keep thinking this is all we need for model boating. Harking back to my childhood.

I have a Bustler half built to 26 inches i think, scaled it up a bit for more bouyancy and strip planked it.

Lovely hull to build.

I'm looking for an original Vic Smeed Moonmist plan too if they are still available.

Hayden

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2017, 10:22:25 am »

A slightly modified version of Moonmist built by Glynn Guest was featured in the 2101 Model Boats Commemorative Special that I edited. Although available at the time, the plan doesn't appear to be currently listed by Sarik Hobbies who are managing the plans service. The plan itself was however reproduced in the magazine and I have a jpg image of it which I can send to you if you pm me your email.

Colin

VANYA

• Shipmate
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2017, 11:17:27 am »

It seems this outlet sells the plan for 16 quid.

https://www.model-dockyard.com/acatalog/model-boat-magazine-Cabin_Cruisers.html

Colin.

Is your .jpg version the original as drawn? Not sure from your writing.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2017, 11:51:31 am »

Yes, it is as drawn.

Colin

VANYA

• Shipmate
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2017, 12:09:47 pm »

Hello Colin.

Ok sounds great and my Godson will be much appreciative.

I'll have to educate him on the historical significance of Mr Vic Smeed. He needs to read my collection of Model Boat books on the hobby.

Will P.M you my e-mail.

Thank you.

Hayden

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2017, 01:11:47 pm »

those two models must be the most important ones that Vic Smeed, produced.

in 1961 when I and avery good friend of mine decided to choose plans to build our first "proper" boats from plns, I chose Bustler and still have original plans for her 55 years on and my friend chose Moonmist, and we buil them together in his garden shed..............pure nostalgia oozes from these two models, and we had plenty of fun both building them, overcoming each others build problems and sailing them freelance once finished..........great days which fortified my love of a lifetime of building..................and apart from motorcycles and classic cars...........this wonderful hobby has given me more pleasure than anything else in life, except for seeing and watching my two daughters grow into young women.

Hope your god son gets the same pleasure from his model as I did all those years ago.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2017, 01:29:27 pm »

Info sent.

Colin

VANYA

• Shipmate
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2017, 06:43:48 pm »

There must be something about those two boats, Moonmist and Bustler.

Here we are my friend and I, he selected the Moonmist and me the Bustler , both if us about 10 years old and just starting in the hobby as schoolboys.

I doubt neither of us knew anything about who Vic Smeed was, certainly no internet, but only the Model Boats magazine.

What made us select these two and here on this forum 40 yrars later they are mentioned in the same breath by others.Amazing.

Now the decision is do I go brushless or can motor😳

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2017, 08:25:47 pm »

I'm glad people are enjoying seeing the model being built.  Its funny, it sounds like Bustler was a popular design but you so rarely see it!

VANYA

• Shipmate
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2017, 10:00:06 pm »

It is some time since I have worked with balsa, getting more adult I progressed into senior materials like plywood, two part epoxy and spray cans.

Now where was that breathing mask as there is a bit of sanding to do on this one😷

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2017, 03:13:41 am »

G'day Vanya,

Having built a number of boats over the years, I'm still a fan of Brushed motors where you don't need them to scream like a Banshee. The Brushless are fine in fast boats, but in the slower work boats I feel the Brushed motors have the edge. They are quiet, economical to run, and you can often find suitable small motors on car electric aerials from the scrap yard. You can also buy them cheap on Ebay.
You can read of some issues I had on my Albert build, where I started with a Brushless, but soon changed after my lady hated the noise of that motor to the point where she didn't want to run the boat, until I refitted Albert with a 50mm Brushed motor out of my vast collecion of 12v motors, which all came from cars, either aerial or fan motors. Albert now runs silently and performs just as he should!

Ian.

VANYA

• Shipmate
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2017, 03:25:17 am »

Ian.

I have been out of touch with boat motors, especially the "can" types but of ol Mabuschi 280,380 or 540 were it in my day.

I run some of those MMB(UK) silver multipole motors in a small barge and they are very quiet and efficient. I could try one as Moonmist will not require much power being balsa bashed.

Boat, motor (can!) and now for the retro power from some old Sanyo Ni-cads from the late 70's😆😆 Probably 600 mah C-cells. WOnder if they take a charge after 25 years😳. Have to look for my flared trousers and polyester shirt and this rate! 👍

VANYA

• Shipmate
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2017, 05:36:10 am »

Oh I guess I have hijacked the Bustler thread.

Is there a Moonmist thread?

I'll post a photo of my Bustler tug hull to date soon to get the thread back on track.

Sorry about that.

Hayden

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2017, 11:26:11 am »

I suddenly got interested at the flared trousers and polyester shirt.
Let's see a photo.

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2017, 02:47:43 pm »

I suddenly got interested at the flared trousers and polyester shirt.
Let's see a photo.

sorry I can't be more entertaining

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2017, 05:55:21 pm »

Hi Willit, nearly 8000 views of your build thread, you are definitely entertaining us all. Thanks.
Chas

Willit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2018, 08:19:10 pm »

further progress, Christmas rather stopped the job!

The funnel has been started, its a thin wall copper tube silver soldered to a turned brass base, which is drilled and tapped 0BA for bolting to the deck. 

The ventilators are cast Graupner things, I squared up the bases, drilled and tapped them 4BA for mounting.  I wasn't convinced glue would hold them!

The propeller shaft has been finally installed too  :-) .  I've fitted a pair of hatches to the superstructure, these were etch primed ready for final paint.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.