Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Podge's Smit Nederland Rebuild  (Read 161759 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Podge's Smit Nederland Rebuild
« Reply #300 on: August 09, 2016, 08:06:30 pm »

Brilliant progress Ray.
Pond weed is your enemy

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dream being fulfilled after 47 years.
« Reply #301 on: August 09, 2016, 09:19:50 pm »

The wheelhouse doors / frames have been tidied up and fitted. A little word of caution here for anyone else building this or a similar model - earlier in the build I glued the window frames all round and when it came to fitting the doors I had to cut away a couple of portions of the window frames so that the doors/frames could be glued flush against the wheelhouse. :((

Next, the 3 windscreen wipers were added to the front wheelhouse windows.

The mast and funnels have been reassembled and the whole thing pinned into position - still needs rigging before gluing into place.
(I'm actually thinking of leaving this assembly removable for transportation/storage - not sure yet)

Looks absolutely great! :-))
As "anyone else" I'm really interested in the two suggestions (window frames and removable stock funnel-mast assy)!
About the removable stock funnels and mast: with the rigging (the supporting wires that would come down from the mast to the top of the wheelhouse), I'm keen to learn a trick to make the assy removable. For the rigging to look authentic, the wires should be quite tight, wouldn't you say? Otherwise, I'm very fond of removable sub-assemblies O0

Trial-and-error doesn't spell failure - right?

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #302 on: August 10, 2016, 12:09:42 am »

About the removable stock funnels and mast: with the rigging (the supporting wires that would come down from the mast to the top of the wheelhouse), I'm keen to learn a trick to make the assy removable. For the rigging to look authentic, the wires should be quite tight, wouldn't you say? Otherwise, I'm very fond of removable sub-assemblies O0

I'll try to answer this one.

First, attach a wooden base to each of the funnels, then assemble the mast tabernacle and glue between the funnels. (this gives you the correct spacing). Next, drill a hole in the base of each funnel, insert and glue a brass "peg".
Use an indelible marker to coat the ends of the pegs. While the ink is still wet, use the pegs to mark the deck location.

Now drill the holes in the deck and push the pins in (note: I made the holes "slightly" undersize to make it a good fit).

When all the rigging is attached, the only mast stay to be removable is the one to the wheelhouse roof - as you have already stated - I'll be tying a very small hook to mine, which will attach to a small ring (or shackle) fitted to the stay on the roof.

Note: It will be advantageous to fit all the rigging attachments to the mast PRIOR to fixing it to the tabernacle. Also, don't forget the 2 turnbuckles, one on each of the funnels. :-)) These will keep the mast perpendicular and don't need to be removed.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ray.

Hande

• Full Mayhemer
  • Dream being fulfilled after 47 years.
« Reply #303 on: August 11, 2016, 11:02:24 am »

Yes! Very helpful  O0
Now I'm convinced that I will attempt to make the assy removable.

Trial-and-error doesn't spell failure - right?

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #304 on: August 11, 2016, 10:53:58 pm »

Another little update.....

Still waiting for brass rod delivery, handrails will just have to wait. :((

Meanwhile, I've made the ladder for wheelhouse roof access and the mast has been rigged - the forestay has just been tied off to one of the stanchions pending final fitting.

Here's a few photo's......

Pic 1: The ladder uprights have been shaped and hooked onto thick ply ready to accept the rungs.
Pic 2: Soldered up, waiting for natural cooling to occur.
Pic 3: Ladder cleaned up and placed on the model for effect.
Pic 4: Same as 3
Pic 5: Mast rigged.
Pic 6: Another view of mast showing temporary tying off.

Regards,

Ray.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #305 on: August 12, 2016, 07:12:22 am »

Nice neat soldering there Cap'n :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #306 on: August 12, 2016, 11:53:39 am »

Thank you Brian. I couldn't have achieved that standard the traditional way - I used the solder paint and a blow torch. It still took about an hour to get everything lined up though.

Regards,

Ray.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #307 on: August 12, 2016, 07:49:50 pm »

That is the problem, getting everything lined up and held in place while the soldering is done. I have to agree, I use solder paste, a little blob on each joint and then in with the iron. Its the neatest quickest way of doing joints like these. Getting all the small parts nice and clean before soldering is difficult also, but once done the results are worth it.

I have had parts that just refused to solder in the past, no matter how much cleaning - both with steel wool and acetone, how much solder, how much or how little heat, there has been times when I have given up and remade the parts. I've never pinpointed why sometimes brass wire and sheet won't solder, just Sod's law I suppose.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #308 on: August 18, 2016, 12:16:04 am »

Time for another little update....

Decided to have a rotating radar so, to that end, bought a nice little Graupner  geared motor via CMB.
I've wired it up in such a way as to start rotating at the same time as the motors kick in.
The tube I had previously painted was installed through the wheelhouse roof and through into the lower saloon. Next, a narrower tube was run inside the first one and down to the motor spindle - the motor itself is installed under the access hatch with just the spindle protruding. Happy with that so a 4BA washer was soldered to the top and the radar transponder glued on top. While giving it a test run it suddenly dawned on me that the radar would only just clear the handrails and therefore be far too low for a clear view. Oops!
Finally came up with a solution - added a further short length to the bottom of the narrow tube, joined with a piece of tight fitting clear tubing.

Next came the wiring up of the lights - just 5 in total - Port, Stbd, stern x 2 and for'd light atop the wheelhouse. All wiring was terminated and tidied up (a bit).

Finally for now, made a start on the stanchions / handrails.

I used the technique that Mark T used on his Fairmount Alpine, by using masking tape to mark the holes for the stanchions, lifted this and transferred to a piece of ply. My thanks to Mark for that idea. :-))

So, here's a few photo's.....

Pic 1: Showing the outer tube fitted.
Pic 2: The 1st attempt on the radar.
Pic 3: Beginning the wiring up (the radar motor spindle can just be seen protruding through the access hatch)
Pic 4: All wiring completed and tidied up (sort of)
Pic 5: The extended radar and lights confirmed working ok.
Pic 6: .....with the workshop lights extinguished.
Pic 7: Making a start on the wheelhouse roof stanchions / handrails.....the vacant holes are for the lower structure stanchions.

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #309 on: August 18, 2016, 12:28:00 am »

I've just noticed a red light (in the "night" shot) on the Stbd quarter - this is, in fact, the power light on my bench electrics. {-) :embarrassed:

Regards,

Ray.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #310 on: August 18, 2016, 09:14:31 am »

A very minor point, Captain, but seeing as your model is turning out so well.....

Looks like you've used the stock wooden fittings to mount the port and starboard navigation lights. The regs say that the port and starboard lights should be visible from straight ahead of the vessel to two points abaft the beam, an angle of 112.5 degrees. When I was lighting mine, I thought that the stock fittings partly prevented the lights from being seen from dead ahead. I swapped them for slightly smaller, but still correct scale fittings that didn't do this.

As with all things, I suppose it depends how close you want to be to the original vessel. In my case, she had an 'update' during her refit, when transferred to my fleet! :)

And I wish I'd done what you've done with the radar before putting it all together. I can't bear the thought of taking it all apart -again!  <:(
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #311 on: August 18, 2016, 11:26:53 pm »

Ref nav lights - that's a good point. Looking at the photo's on the previous page the lights can be seen from dead-ahead, though partly obscured. I'll try cutting away a portion of the offending front piece and see how it looks.

As for the radar, my original plan was to mount the motor under the wheelhouse roof and box it in with just leads to a single battery somewhere within the wheelhouse.
Then I thought maybe mount it atop the roof, but then there's still the power supply to consider.

As it stands, I'm just going to leave it as it is, see how things go...

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #312 on: September 02, 2016, 11:37:36 pm »

Well, at long last I have a little update to post.

I've spent ages on trying to get all the stanchions & handrails soldered up. Had to de-solder most sections a number of times due to not being able to get all the bends and twists to match up all round.

Finally got there this evening.

The board I used to hold the stanchions upright has now been cut into sections so that each section can be sprayed separately. In particular the stairs sections - you'll see by the photos that they have been set up with the overhangs in place.

I'll just put these 2 or 3 photos up to show what I mean. Also notice that the top rails have yet to be added - that's because the top rails are going to be black, the remainder white.

Hope to get this little lot primed tomorrow.

Regards,

Ray.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #313 on: September 03, 2016, 06:08:25 am »

Hi Ray, Looking good!   :-)

I have an envy for Anyone that can solder railings!
 What kind of solder did you use?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #314 on: September 03, 2016, 02:32:59 pm »

Hi Ray, Looking good!   :-)

I have an envy for Anyone that can solder railings!
 What kind of solder did you use?

Thanks very much Martin - I've used solder paint and a blowtorch, it's just a case of using a small artist type brush, putting a small amount of the paint on each joint then waving the blowtorch over it. There's very little cleaning up to do afterwards, in some cases none at all.

You may have heard of this product being referred to as solder paste as well - basically its a mix of flux and tiny bits of solder.
This stuff is expensive (mine was £30 for 125g) but well worth the money. O0

I got mine through Maplins, other places will do it as well I would imagine.

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #315 on: September 03, 2016, 02:36:58 pm »

Forgot to add - have a look at reply no.284 on the previous page, there's a photo with the solder product in the centre.

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #316 on: September 03, 2016, 03:10:44 pm »

Oops - silly me, just checked back to previous page, photo referred to is in reply number 285 :embarrassed:

Regards,

Ray.

tugnut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #317 on: September 04, 2016, 06:37:38 am »

Looking good Ray  :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #318 on: September 04, 2016, 02:00:02 pm »

Looking good Ray  :-))

Many thanks Tugnut - the weather has turned damp again so still no spraying done. :((

The forecast is ok for the next few days so I'm still optimistic... :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #319 on: September 15, 2016, 11:59:48 pm »

Well, after all this time, the guardrails have finally been painted up and fitted.
Even with great care I found myself having to re-bend some of the top rails as they didn't quite sit right.

The other little bits and pieces have been added and the skipper and his little dog are now onboard.

All that remains now is a clean up, ballasting, watertight integrity tests (tomorrow) then she will be ready for sea trials.
Unfortunately, the trials can't be carried out until I return from a family visit. Granddaughter no.2 has arrived so I'll be away for about a fortnight.

In the meantime, here's a few photographs - enjoy.

I'll take some more when the boat is on the water. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #320 on: September 16, 2016, 12:34:01 am »

Looking very tidy Ray...will be good to see on the water :-))

With your family calculations.."Granddaughter no.2 has arrived so I'll be away for about a fortnight" ....so does this mean on the birth of my 8th grandchild...I must stay away for about 16 weeks?..... {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #321 on: September 16, 2016, 02:20:12 pm »

Looking very tidy Ray...will be good to see on the water :-))

With your family calculations.."Granddaughter no.2 has arrived so I'll be away for about a fortnight" ....so does this mean on the birth of my 8th grandchild...I must stay away for about 16 weeks?..... {-)

Derek

{-) {-) {-)
Very good Derek. I would love to stay away for longer but needs must.

Had the boat in the bath today - she weighs in at just 12lbs and needed a further 13lbs of ballast to bring her down to the waterline.
So the next task will be to make up the lead weights in such a way as to make them easy to remove for ease of handling. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #322 on: September 16, 2016, 10:19:36 pm »

She looks amazing  :-)) I loove the busy but not cluttered look you have created and reckon her skipper likes to run a tidy ship.
Pond weed is your enemy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #323 on: September 16, 2016, 10:53:51 pm »

She looks amazing  :-)) I loove the busy but not cluttered look you have created and reckon her skipper likes to run a tidy ship.

Thanks Ian.
Making up the stanchions and 2 lower rails was no big deal really but getting the top rail to sit square was a week-long nightmare. The temptation to solder it in place and then paint it was quite strong. However, maybe next time I do a similar set up I'll just paint them all one colour. ;D

The chains across the openings on 01 deck are a bit shiny but will weather naturally over time - I did them this way to avoid having to make and mount gates. :-)

The skipper and his dog give the finished article a nice little touch. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #324 on: September 29, 2016, 11:23:03 pm »

First the good news - took the model for her maiden voyage today. Despite 47+ wind, gusting to 52, she sat dead straight on her waterline. Sailed around for about 1hr then brought her in for checks - the inside was completely dry. :-)

Now the bad news - I FORGOT TO TAKE THE FLIPPIN' CAMERA. >>:-(

Sorry guys & gals, I'll take some shots next time out. :-))

Regards,

Ray.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.