Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contamination  (Read 4611 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Contamination
« on: September 09, 2015, 05:33:16 pm »

Anyone know of a contaminent that would cause cyanocrylate to set in the pot?

I had a 20g pot of thin cyano half used. But the screw top had become so clogged up along with the nozzle it would no longer work. I used to screw the top off and dip a cocktail stick into the pot. But at the weekend it was thin then on monday morning it had become thicker. Today I go to use it and it has set to a jellified mess in the bottom. I had left the cocktail stick in it since last used.

But I'm at a loss to know what caused it, anyone got any clues? The only other adhesive on the bench was polystyrene cement but they didn't come into contact.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Contamination
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 05:44:23 pm »

I've had that happen to me on a couple of occasions with glue I've had for a long time. It's recommended you store it in the fridge for long life (glue that is) but swmbo doesn't like that idea.  I've considered buying one of the little six pack fridges but never got round to it.

I don't think its been contaminated, it's the effect of exposure to air and heat.
Don't Assume Check

CliveJ

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 05:47:24 pm »

Was there any activator/kicker in the vicinity ?

I was advised that these should be stored well away from the cyano

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 06:08:03 pm »

Don't dip stuff in the pot, that alone can contaminate the cyano. Pour some out onto a bit of old cereal packet and work off of that with your fine pointy stick of choice.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

nivapilot

• Full Mayhemer
  • re-invented rc boater
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 07:12:40 pm »

I had the self same thing Brian....no idea what caused it....but it went solid, hard enough to put in the lathe chuck and turn it down..

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 07:20:32 pm »

I store cyano in a large empty Nescafe coffee jar with a  sachet of silica crystals and keep lid closed as much as possible.  Somebody suggested  rice for same purpose.  If possible clean or break-off hardened stuff from original cyano cap, a good fit here helps too.  I think your cocktail stick might have been too "organic" or have some residual moisture in it if it was wood.  I store Gorilla type glues same way.  I think avoiding UV light (sun)is recommended too.   Damp climate up here in winter :((
..well can you land on this?

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 08:40:41 pm »

Cyno or superglue will go off after a while in the way you describe what ever you do if not kept in cool dry conditions such as fridge; I would venture to suggest that as the atmospheric conditions on the east coast of Spain last weekend were quite damp, this in itself would hasten its demise if the bottle was left un-caped.
LB

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 08:41:25 pm »

Thanks guys, it wasn't that old I bought it in April, but who knows how long it had been stood on the shop shelf? Still some good ideas to try out there for my next purchase. Big one in the house and an under counter fridge in the BBQ house out back, I'll stick it in there, its only used to keep drinks cool.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 09:04:54 pm »

I make a practice of cleaning the tip of my CA bottles' nozzle after each use.  Scrape off any dried glue on the outside, run a T-head pin down the inside, then put the cap on tight.  No problems with keeping on my bench for months.  And I make sure the bottle stays upright by keeping it in a baby food jar that is somewhat larger than the CA bottle.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 10:51:13 pm »

Some good advice there guys O0 .

Brian, when you get your next bottle of glue, run a smear of vaseline in the screw top - I usually apply it with a small artist brush or similar, not too much vaseline but sufficient to cover all the threads. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 11:12:12 pm »

The most likely "contamination" is air.  CA is activated to cure by the moisture in the air.  So leaving a bottle with the cap off, or a cap that does not seal will let air in, and over time it will harden up.

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 11:28:33 pm »

Here's some info from Bob Smith Industries, who seems to have CA glue in every hobby store I have visited (all in the US, of course).  But CA should be CA (or cyano) on both side of the pond, yes?

First a selection chart, which grade of CA to use to stick which materials together:
http://www.bsi-inc.com/about/adhesive_chart.html
(Somebody on one of these forums recently said he thought CA was only for non-porous materials.  If that were so, plank-on-frame boats made of balsa would not work)

Next their home website, which leads to a FAQ page that is useful:
http://www.bsi-inc.com/index.html

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 03:56:26 am »

The most likely "contamination" is air.  CA is activated to cure by the moisture in the air.  So leaving a bottle with the cap off, or a cap that does not seal will let air in, and over time it will harden up.
What Dave says...  :-))

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 09:03:41 am »

Hence the airtight jar and desiccant. Keeping cool yes but surely a fridge has a high dampness factor ?  Any ideas on UV light, I seem to remember a recommendation to keep it in the dark. The Vaseline on the bottle cap threads seems a good idea
..well can you land on this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.