Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 52060 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #375 on: January 31, 2019, 08:05:29 PM »

Today I soldered the SMD LEDs for the interior lights and the red and green navigation lights. The latter are the smallest pieces of electronics that I ever have put a soldering iron to  :-)
With only 3 x 1,5 mm they are rather tiny and delicate indeed. I used 0,3 mm enameled copper wire for the connection. It's considerably sturdier than the 0,1 mm wire that I had to use for the mast lights, but I will still be a ble to conceal it well inside the structure.
This gives a total of 5 lights for the cabins and bridge (two warm white interior lights, one warm white light inside the binnacle, and one red and green position light, respectively.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #376 on: February 01, 2019, 05:50:46 AM »

Wow those LEDs are really small!  :-))

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #377 on: February 03, 2019, 03:31:34 PM »

Yes, they are, aren't they? They are only about half as "big" as the warm white ones. Didn't realize it until I started soldering the other day.
But now this is done and I glued the stairs and railing into place. Next up is the woodwork for the bridge.
As a side project, I started weathering some fender tires. They're still fresh and shiny, this will not do  :-) I will apply several coats of Deadflat from the Rustall set until they look old and worn and then work my way up from there with rust, moss, stains, and what not.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #378 on: Yesterday at 08:42:04 PM »

Some more work done:
For the lamp wires, I milled channels into the lower part of the bridge deck. This will ensure that I can glue the top part of the deck flush onto it. At least that is the intention. I must confess that I didn't think this completely through. But I will deal with the wires once I have all of the parts ready  :embarrassed:
The lower part of the deck is now also filled, primed and painted white. Although it takes ages with the airbrush, it gives a neat finish. And I can paint no matter what the weather outside.
The boxes for the position lights are also assembled, sanded, filled, primed and painted white. Next off will be painting the inside red and green, respectively.
The railing boards for the bridge are filled, sanded and glazed.
The fender wheels got a coat of flat and some dirt pigments. Not yet finished as I intend to experiment with some washes (rust, moss, dirt).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16]   Go Up