Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Albert the tug - Builders Blog  (Read 207780 times)

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
Albert the tug - Builders Blog
« on: September 13, 2015, 06:32:23 am »

This build is for anyone building an Albert kit to use as an instruction manual, it's meant to show the assembly process for those wanting to start their Albert's before I have a chance to produce a proper instruction manual, please free to ask any questions that might help someone with their project or if I haven't quite explained something well enough.

Phill
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Albert the tug - Builders Blog
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 06:39:27 am »

So let's start with the display stand.

The pack should contain 10 structural parts and 16 pegs (the pegs are in the little zip lock baggy)
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 06:52:51 am »

I am a fairly impatient kind of model maker myself so I usually use a fast drying CA or super glue, there are too many brands to mention but I normally use Zap-a-Gap or Loctite 401, alternatively if you are more comfortable with a wood glue or epoxy either of these work just as well, the only place I insist on the use of an epoxy is when glueing the rudder tube and the stuffing box into position.
Once the part is slotted into place you really only need to apply a small spot of glue onto the peg to stop it falling back out.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 06:58:36 am »

One end slotted into position.

The other end in position but not yet pinned, also here we see the foot slotted on and glued into place, all the parts are mirror images so you can't get them around the wrong way but it does pay to check that the engraved name is up the right way.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 07:01:09 am »

All done showing the locking pegs in place (and the name up the right way).

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 07:23:58 am »

Next up.....find the Base plate and find the "this way up" sticker, once again most of the parts are mirrored but the mounting of the steering servo requires it to be up the right way (you can see the cut-out for the servo towards the stern).
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 11:48:26 am »

Then locate the 2 bags labelled Albert Sub-Frame.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2015, 11:59:03 am »

These bags contain all the parts for Albert's sub-frame, pictured here are the parts for the fore deck support's.
The sub-assembly should NOT BE GLUED at this stage, it needs to remain flexible untill the whole frame is slotted into the base.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 12:07:59 pm »

It is extremely important to make sure these 3 supports are slotted in as shown as they support the curve of the deck.

Once the parts are slotted into place the locking pin can be slid through all 3 slots, at this stage the assembly is still a bit loose but thats OK, repeat this operation for both sides.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 12:14:34 pm »

The remaining fore deck frame can now be assembled, once again the locking pin slides through all 3 tabs (still no glue at this stage)

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 12:25:41 pm »

Next step is to start slotting parts into the sub-frame, the tabs project past the bottom by 10mm so to allow for this I suggest the base is sat up on spacers, I used some plastic shot cups for the photo's but some wooden blocks or strips would work just as well, once again, at this stage do not glue anything.

Here on the corner is a tight fit and will need a bit of jiggling to get the slots past each other on the way down.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 12:26:50 pm »

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 12:32:55 pm »

More parts in the sub-frame assembly bags.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 12:40:40 pm »

These parts can be slid into place taking notice of the stickers showing which way up and which way forward (even though they can only be slotted in one way anyway)

They can then be slid partially into place, don't push them right down yet or the next bit won't fit in.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 12:47:23 pm »

The last few sub-assembly parts can now be put together, the servo mount shown is the only part of the kit cut from 7mm ply, it get's a bit tricky holding these parts together so I recommend tacking the servo mount in place as shown with a drop of CA, just to hold it while everything gets pushed into place.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 12:50:28 pm »

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 12:10:32 pm »

This part can now be slotted into place and it can take a bit of joggling to get all the bits to slide into place.

Notice how by not gluing it just yet that the parts can be lifted slightly to allow the tabs to slot into place.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 12:15:56 pm »

Now it's just a case of flipping the whole structure over (bits will want to slide apart but don't worry too much at this stage)

Finding the bag of wooden pins.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 12:25:22 pm »

And slotting the the pegs into place.

It's worth noting that when I assembled the prototypes that I applied CA glue between the peg and the baseplate so the part being pegged is still just a little loose but can't fall out completely.

I found it easier to hold the frame on its side and let gravity hold the pegs while I applied some CA.

Also please not that there is one peg that will interfere with the fitting of the steering servo and will need to be trimmed (pointed out with the pencil)

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 12:34:27 pm »

Al the assembled parts now need to be checked for fitting and where necessary clamped tight to close up any gaps, I would recommend running a bead of your favorite glue along the back of all the joins at this stage (personally I used an exterior PVA just to reinforce all the joins)

These two parts for the battery housing can also be glued into place.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 12:35:09 pm »

I suggest that at this stage that all the glue be allowed to harden up as the next stage is putting on the foredeck which requires a bit of pressure.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 12:41:07 pm »

Now for the front deck, this is probably the trickiest part of the whole build, it's not hard, just tricky and requires a bit of pressure to get it into place.
Best way to start is by sanding the corners off the tabs that the front deck locates onto, this makes it a little easier to get the deck down.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 12:51:52 pm »

Locate the foredeck and check it over, you will probably find it has a natural curve to it and I suggest you install it up the way it wants to curve.

And locate it onto the forward most tab.

Here you can see I am applying a fair bit of pressure and you can just see the next tab along just peeking through the deck, once again you will need to do a bit of joggling to make the tabs line up.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 12:56:29 pm »

Here you can see I have the first peg into place and I'm now working along the deck pressing it onto the tabs and sliding in the rest of the pegs.

Take note that the pegs slide in from the front not the back!

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 12:59:11 pm »

I find that after a few light taps with a modelling hammer (very light taps) the pegs will pull the deck nicely down onto the curved support underneath.
Isaac Asimov
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.