Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Albert the tug - Builders Blog  (Read 207804 times)

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Albert the tug - Builders Blog
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2015, 01:45:17 pm »

So now your caprails should look a bit like this and need to be trimmed level with the side of the stem so the knob will fit on.

[size=78%][/size]

yours may be white or grey.
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2015, 01:47:56 pm »

I used a CA to glue this on, the spot where it sits can be a bit uneven due to the molding process so I used a straight edge up the sides and front of the stem to line it up and will fill the gaps later.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2015, 01:52:53 pm »

That's pretty much it for the hull and decks, now for the wheelhouse, there's probably not much that needs explaining other than the parts should only fit together one way (if you find a different way, well done) as it is difficult to clamp I generally hold it all together with a couple of rubber bands as you will see from the pictures.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2015, 01:54:23 pm »

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2015, 01:56:06 pm »

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2015, 01:58:23 pm »

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2015, 01:59:40 pm »

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2015, 02:00:19 pm »

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2015, 02:02:38 pm »

Notice how the pins go through the holes and underneath the 1.5mm roof panel

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2015, 02:03:41 pm »

If you hold the roof down tightly and push the pins in firmly they will hold it down nicely until your glue dries, then cut them off flush with the roof and fill the holes.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2015, 02:12:57 pm »

Probably the most tedious part is the wrap around visor, I felt like i needed at least 7 more fingers to fit mine, firstly slide the sides all the way onto their tabs then lay them back until they are touching the edge of the roof and the underside of the their locating tab.

[size=78%][/size]
[/size]
Then slot the front visor over it's tab and pull it around the curve, I found I had to play with them a bit until I was happy then run a bead of glue from behind.

Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2015, 02:14:32 pm »

Later the joins on the corner will be filled and sanded fair.

Isaac Asimov

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2015, 05:01:03 pm »

Lookin' good  :-)) .

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2015, 08:55:20 am »

Glad you like it Mark :)

If anyone watching uses facebook Albert now has his own page, I'm hoping builders of Albert's will share their experiences and pictures of their boat's in action.
https://www.facebook.com/Albert-The-Tug-514631785369763/timeline/?ref=hl
Isaac Asimov

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2015, 08:43:27 am »

Phillip,

Greetings.

Is there a reference line on the hull, for the intended waterline location? or a measurement down from the Bullwarks Cap Rail??

I post the question here, as others may have the same query?

Thank You.
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2015, 12:23:50 am »

Hello Tug Hercules Fireman the measurement I took from the original Albert was 25mm up from the flat bottom, I'm just throwing some paint on mine at the moment and will try to get some photos up soon.

Phill
Isaac Asimov

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2015, 08:57:52 am »

I think 35mm up from the bottom looks right then the white strip above that.
Isaac Asimov

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2015, 03:02:31 pm »

Phillip,

Looks excellent.

The white boot strip looks good on there.

Will be interested to see where she actually floats at, when loaded with all hardware, in the pond.

Thank You.
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

Stavros

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2015, 10:03:31 pm »

What a lovely looking tug...there is one thing that really concerns me with this build is that you have not once sanded any of the burnt edges on the plywood after it has been cut with a laser....every kit I have built with wood has warned about the dangers of not cleaning the edges up....I would have thought the joints will be substantionaly weakened ?

Dave

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2015, 10:48:49 pm »

Hi Stavros, I have been working with laser cut ply for a few years now, as well as the boats I build I also make a lot of boxes for knife makers and I have never had a laser cut joint fail, all the ply that I use is still very open in the grain after cutting which allows the glue to get in, I have done a few jobs using customer supplied ply particularly high quality marine ply that is very dense and does leave a very smooth cut that is not wonderful for gluing but I assure you there is no problem with the ply I'm using for the kit's, I certainly wouldn't put it to a boil test like the marine ply but it's fine for modelling.
The other problem that can occur with laser cut ply is an incorrectly set air assist or using the air assist when not necessary as this can cause excess charring that will definitely need sanding, kind of like when you light the wood heater, if you have a nice flame going then blow air onto it and it charcoals up without necessarily burning much, well it is burning but not nicely.
Being a one man operation gives me the freedom to change my settings as I need to because I handle every part, I find the majority of the ply in the kit likes the air assist but the 1.5 roof and visor will charcoal up on the edges if I don't turn it off.
I hope this allays allays any concerns you may have.

Phill
Isaac Asimov

Ron Knepp

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2015, 02:30:00 pm »

Hi Phill
Do you use a filler to cover the wood grain before painting?  Would something like Bondo be suitable?
Would Bondo be suitable for sealing the deck to hull? It would make sanding easier.
Do you have any photos of your setup for painting the waterline?
Ron Knepp

mermod

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2015, 09:12:57 pm »

Morning Ron, I use car body filler (bondo) for filling any holes and yes you can use it for filing between the deck and hull, as for filling the grain all I have done is to give it several heavy coats of spray primer, in the photo I posted before the grey/brown is the primer and the pink is an air dry putty for filling the small imperfections that show up after priming (stop putty or pin stop putty).
I will post some pictures of settiing up the waterline soon.

Thanks for watching

Phill
Isaac Asimov

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2015, 07:38:26 am »

G'day Albert Fans.

I've been a bit distracted over the last week or so, and therefore Albert has not been receiving the attention he deserves.
I have deviated away from the build by Phill, and have all the woodwork for the in hull structure done, and then decided to get on with the wheelhouse.
Everything slots together beautifully, and this applies to the main structure as well.
Biggest drama with the wheelhouse is that there are no 90 degree joints, and therefore every external joint needs bogging, along with all the slots and tabs.
The visor is a bit of a fiddle as mentioned in Phill's blog, but with a few rubber bands and small and large clamps it is achievable. I am using Aliphatic Resin adhesive and it doesn't have a quick grab and set, so the joints on the visor needed reinforcing with bog, and left overnight to harden off fully.
I have also decided to replace the planked door with a new one cut from 3mm ply ( for a steel effect finish ) and as I didn't like the porthole I am using a rectangular window, and will ask Phill nicely, to see if he can do me a nice laser cut frame to finish it off.  This would be in keeping with the other frames supplied.
I'm also using some external hinges that I do in my business for 1/8th scale Landrover Defender rear doors, and this gives a 3D effect rather than the flat laser scribed Tee hinges on the supplied door.
One other little bitch is that I'm not a balsa lover, and the piece ( two pieces ) that is supplied  for the funnel and needs to be shaped is not a big deal, but it's so soft and it dents so easily, and it's a pig to paint!  Next time around I would be looking at a piece of PVC pipe or conduit at 38mm ( 1 1/2" ) OD that would be a better job and so much easier to paint. Half the pipe is not exactly what you need, but it would require a straight piece of roughly 5 - 6 mm down each side to finish the required section. This is not a criticsism of the kit, but just an observation by a modeller who dislikes Balsa!
I have also chopped the exhaust stack and raked it back to keep the rain out.
The lady who I'm doing this for prefers the new door treatment and the improved stack, so I'm heading in the right direction!
There's a lot more rubbing back and filling to do yet, but it's getting there.
Next step is the fitting out of the hull with the running gear. Still not totally convinced to go Brushless though. I know everybody raves about the Brushless motors, so I'll probably end up going that way, but the old stuff is what I'm familiar with!
More as it happens.
Ian.

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2015, 07:41:49 am »

A couple of the images didn't attach, so we try again

Ron Knepp

• Shipmate
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2015, 01:38:21 pm »

Thanks for the input Ian. I would like to see a photo of your porthole changes. I plan on using
brass jewel box hinges on the door. I ordered a kit several days ago and it will be interesting to see if the shipping
box can survive a 10,000+  mile trip.
Ron Knepp
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.