Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smit Nederland class  (Read 2050 times)

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
Smit Nederland class
« on: October 27, 2007, 12:21:10 pm »

I'm on the lookout for a new tug - see 'Tug Wanted' in the 'Wants' section. A Smit Nederland has just come up on ebay, so I thought I'd ask what people's experiences are of this tug. I'm talking about operating, reliability, problems etc rather than construction issues.

For example, what's the handling like with the motors under just one ESC? Is it better to put in two, for independent motor control? I notice that the example on ebay has inwards turning props rather than outwards. Is this standard, and has anyone done things the other way? What's she like for endurance and how does she tow?

Lots of questions I know, but I'm sure there are some owners out there who will have the answers!

Many thanks
Andy G
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

catengineman

Re: Smit Nederland class
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 05:10:43 pm »

The Smit Nedland is one very fine tug to handle, (going astern in a straight line is a small problem)
Capt Jack (on this forum) has owned two of these and they have had various configurations on the drive systems to test out what was the best suited for his operation.
On the outward turning props it will depend on what YOU want from your model, there is a slight difference in the way it will handle.
Outward is better for pulling
Inward is better for turning a tight radius (I think thats the way round I found it to be)
Running one ESC is OK for pulling but you should use a mixer to assist with turning and there is no way you can "WALK" the tug under that configuration.
Two ESC's  is probably the closest you will get to the true operation of the tug, this uses two sticks on the trany for main motor drive so to have steerage the trany has to have more than two channels.
Ballast for his two tugs was the batteries "SLA's" (voltage would be your choice) take into consideration that you also need to power the receive and servos.

So to condense all my drivel: it is up to the vessel's owner / operator to decide what he/she likes best.

I will say that Capt Jack found these tugs very easy to control, I found them very easy to up-date and modify with things like working winches, lights etc.

R,
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.