Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting a Revell or Heller Smit Rotterdam to r/c  (Read 5852 times)

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
Converting a Revell or Heller Smit Rotterdam to r/c
« on: July 26, 2007, 09:57:54 pm »

Dear all,

I am considering purchasing the Smit Rotterdam 1/200 scale kit made by Revell and Heller, with a view to converting it to radio control. It has been done already in Germany (but my German is not good enough to ask the builder how it was carried out). Does anyone have any suggestions for a suitable r/c set-up (minus a bow thruster!) with two propellers and rudders? Plus does anyone know where I could purchase these small r/c items, and prop shafts and brass propellers (circa 1/200 scale)? The hull dimensions are (I believe): LOA 33.8cm Beam 8cm. Is proportional speed control possible in such a small scale? Many thanks.

Polobeer  :D :D

kendalboatsman

Re: Converting a Revell or Heller Smit Rotterdam to r/c
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 10:04:23 pm »

Hello Polebeer,

Speak to Graham Walker at The Model Dock http://www.themodeldock.co.uk/4436.html, I just purchased the running gear  to convert the Revell Hermann Marwede SAR ship from him. He may be able to help you.

Try Full Leather Jacket who is a member on here for miniature ESCs as he now runs ACTion electronics. http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/

Regards
Clive

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 10:09:09 pm »

Dear Clive,

Many thanks for your message and the info. I'll definitely try those two sources. By the way was it difficult converting your Revell ship?  I'd be very interested to hear of your experiences (it might help me!). Cheers!!

All the best
Simon  ;) ;) ;)

kendalboatsman

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 10:13:16 pm »

Hello,

The shafts arrived yesterday and I need to pop to my local model shop for the Kit. I have posted payment for two PICO P68 ESCs and a micro mixer on  from Dave (FLJ) at ACTion. I have previously converted the Matchbox (now Revell) Flower Class Corvette and that was relatively easy because of its large size. Biggest considerations are means of accessing the interior and weight of components.

I am about to send a PM to you.

Clive :)

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 10:15:18 pm »

Hi Simon

I was able to convert the Heller version, with the help of a Shepton Mallet Drifters member, using Action motors, speed controllers and mixer, so FLJ should be able to help you there (they were the mini versions!)

Danny

polobeer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:25:29 pm »

Dear Clive and Danny,

I really appreciate your invaluable assistance here. I would have been really stumped for ideas otherwise. If I ever build the model, I'll post some photos. Danny, do you have any pictures of your Heller model? It would be great to see them!

Best wishes to you both and thanks again.
Simon  :D

thomas

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 06:42:35 pm »

I did this conversion a while ago, the main problem being steering, as there is not much room under the deck for access.   Originally I joined both halves of the hull, fitted the steering gear ( using the kit rudders fitted with short shafts from 2mm brass rod) then stuck down the after deck, hoping I never need access again.   WRONG!
Latter had to try to cut a hatch which worked, but would have been neater if cut before fitting the deck.  Otherwise, no real problems.  Two motors salvaged from lidl toys standard hi-tec 2-channel receiver, 2 ACTion mini controllers, one ACTion mini mixer, and powered with four AA cells.  Prop shafts from Propshop, propellers from the kit.  Steering servo hi-tec featherweight ( the little blue ones).   
Unfortunately the motors were not very well matched, so there was a bit of steering problems.  In the end I removed the mixer and one ESC and wired the motors in parallel, relying on the rudders only for steering ,  and that works O.K.   Would have been better fitting Orion motors which would have been better matched to each other,  but didn't have any on hand at the time.
This is not a very difficult conversion, not a lot of space but it will all go in, and there is plenty displacement to carry the weight.  She looks well on the water, and handles well as far as sea state, but makes a lot of leeway in a cross breeze ( but so do most of these small conversions).
Good luck with yours.l   

thomas

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 08:18:04 pm »

I forgot to mention that the rails supplied with the kit are a bit overscakle and heavy.  I replaced them with some etched rails from John Lane(Display Models) in Blyth phone 01670352051.  A big improvement!

surfury

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 11:16:09 am »

Hello Polebeer,

I have also some kits laying around who are waiting for a R/C-conversion, among others the
PT15 from Tamyia in 1/72, but i never started.My son has nearly completed a Titanic from Academy in 1/350 scale, and we bought the 3 brass-props (2 3-blade and 1 4-blade) in Germany from: http://www.mz-modellbaushop.de/start.php
He also has kits from German Warships in 1/100 scale made from fiberglass and superstructures in resin.If you have problems in German i can help you to make some translation.

Best regards
Dieter

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 11:54:00 am »

All of my small plastic conversions have been done using converted servos for power.  The conversion consists of removing the gearbox and the plastic cover over the end of the motor shaft and the motor gear.  This results in a combined motor/controller.  The controller is fully proportional, but is a bit lacking in deadband, which is only ever a problem if you want to stop the boat on the water and leave it parked.  The benefit is that you can use the trim slider alongside the speed stick as an engine room telegraph.  If space constraints apply, the plastic case for the motor/electronics can be removed, and at need, the motor separated from the board and longer wires fitted.
For running gear, apart from brass rod you probably have all the makings in the kit and lurking in the kitchen.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 06:54:05 pm »

hi there done several coversion my self. the most challenging one was the USS Enterprise by taimyer . the problem was stability. i did not want to over weight her ,to make her stable as this would look bad . a permanent keel was not an option for storage reason. So i opted for a remove keel. this was made up from 2 square brass sections K/S brass available from most model shops. the bigger one was glued vertically in to the hull on the centre Line . the second had a torpedo fishing weight glued on to it. this then could be slid up the bigger tube so i hung about 20cms below the hull. That aircraft Carrier can go on the water in wind which most big boat wont venture out on , If you want photo let me know good luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.