Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Norman's Springer  (Read 94275 times)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Questions from the clueless
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 08:11:01 am »

Forgot to add
Those are my settings on my DX6i.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2015, 08:48:30 am »

... Some people take the ratchet off and replace it with a spring to give
a return to neutral if you let go of the stick.

Oh, I like the sound of that!  Off now to Google how to do it  :-)

Thanks gents.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 04:40:24 pm »

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
Starting at square one - glue and paint
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2015, 10:03:53 am »

Two newbie questions coming up :)

1.  Am I right in assuming that Deluxe Materials' "Genuine Aliphatic Resin" yellow glue will be OK to use to put together a simple ply hull?  If not, what do I use?

2.  And having built my simple ply hull, what do I use to finish it?  I'm not after a work of art (at least not for the time being!), but merely a presentable red up to the waterline and gloss black above it.  What do I use for filler?  I'm thinking about the exposed edges of the ply in particular.  And having filled it, what paint?

I'm probably not making this as easy as it could be, but any spraying would have to be rattle cans outdoors in suitable weather, and whatever materials I need will have to come from either the local model shop or Homebase  %)   

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Starting at square one - glue and paint
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2015, 10:34:39 am »

hello norman
yes aliphatic resin is a good waterproof glue that is excellent for gluing wood together including ply wood.
and p38 car body filler is a soft filler that allows you to sand it flat without sanding the wood away. it can even be used on balsa wood with care.
And to finish it off and close the grain ready for painting use sanding sealer, but rub each coat down when dry with fine wire wool or a fine abrasive paper to get a really smooth finish ready for painting.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Stavros

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2015, 12:28:02 pm »

please read my article about paint and fillers in the painting section it is all there what to do

Dave

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2015, 01:32:36 pm »

Cheers, gents.

Dave/Martin, I did actually read the article and I found it very informative.  But for now I'm not aiming for what seemed to me to be such a high standard, and besides, I'm only dipping my toes in this model boats lark at present, so I can't justify buying more materials than I really need for this first attempt.

All I want to do for now is put a waterproof finish on a ply Springer hull.  I can no doubt get myself a tube of filler without too much trouble, and I can lay my hands on a few different grades of various abrasive papers and some 000 wire wool, but what do I do for paint?  Unless I missed it, that's not covered in the article, so the question now is - what do I use?  I can brush or I can use rattle cans outdoors in suitable weather (if we ever get any), but what type/make?  Sorry guys, but this is completely uncharted territory ...

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2015, 02:37:59 pm »

Thin some varnish or paint, wash all the woodwork with that so it soaks in. 2 or 3 or 4 top coats with same paint, " job's a good 'in!,".
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2015, 03:26:04 pm »

Thin some varnish or paint, wash all the woodwork with that so it soaks in. 2 or 3 or 4 top coats with same paint, " job's a good 'in!,".

:embarrassed: Oh dear ...

Sorry Martin, but I did say I'm starting at square one here.  What kind of paint?  Thinned with what?  And if I want this thing red below the waterline and black above it, am I right in guessing that I do all the wood with the red first then just a couple of coats of black on the top?

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2015, 04:07:35 pm »

As a general rule, always paint the lighter colour first. You will find it almost impossible to paint light over dark paint without lots and lots of coats!

For paint, it dpends. Are you going to put it in water? If its just a static model to try your hand at it, then use a general wood gloss paint like Dulux for painting your house. If its for going in water, I would get a couple tins of Humbrol gloss, one red one black, for the superstructure also a white. Many modellers start out with Humbrol paints as that is what they are for, before moving on to more complex paints. You could of course take the easy way out and just use a couple tins of car spray paint, it is just as durable.

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2015, 05:21:25 pm »

Brian, thank you very much indeed for that comprehensive answer  :-)   

Right, I think that's me up to speed on the finishing front for the time being, so now to start getting my head round boat ESC's ...

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2015, 07:43:31 pm »

Yes that's how I painted mine, lots of thin coats of car spray paint.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2015, 08:32:12 am »

As said above, Humbrol enamels are a good simple starter.  If brushing, use a good quality soft brush for a good finish, and look after the brush - always clean after use.  A good preparation is the first step to a good finish, but can be spoiled by using a nasty brush.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

inertia

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2015, 09:14:54 am »

Right, I think that's me up to speed on the finishing front for the time being, so now to start getting my head round boat ESC's ...
Norman
You will find some useful stuff about the electrical side of things here http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/but-i-don-t-understand-electronics/18054
DM

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2015, 10:37:37 am »

Are you happy Norman?
 If not, PM me you phone No. and I'll ring you for a chat.    :-)

My Build:  https://plus.google.com/photos/+ModelBoatMayhemPhotos/albums/6159627909341985921

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2015, 12:40:02 pm »

Yep, I'm happy, Martin.  Thank you.

And I'm even happier now that our local timber yard has just done me a 3ft x 2ft bit of very nice 6mm ply for exactly £13.19 less than Homebase wanted for the same sized bit of total rubbish ply not fit for making a tea chest with :)

Thanks for the link, DM. I'll check it out.  Got to get my hear round these 'ere nautical ESC's being a bit weird compared to my aircraft ones, in that these have reverse.  And they seem to need water-cooling too!  :o

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
And now - a total newbie question about propshafts!
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2015, 12:52:01 pm »

Or to be precise, this type of propshaft ...

Now, I've never had any dealings with model boat propshafts, so I'm looking at that and wondering if I get one of those ...

(a) what do I do if anything about lubrication?  And

(b) what stops water finding its way up it?

And come to think of it, what stops the prop coming unscrewed when going astern?  Thread-lock, or what?

Gosh.  So many questions ...

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: And now - a total newbie question about propshafts!
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2015, 01:10:56 pm »

a. light oil or thin grease

b. ditto and try to have the inner end above the water line

c. lock nut
Don't Assume Check

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2015, 01:14:24 pm »

And they seem to need water-cooling too!  :o

not unless your running high current/ high speed. none of mine (12 or so) are water cooled and I've only lost one and that was due to old age (the ESC not me  :} )
Don't Assume Check

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2015, 01:14:50 pm »

Oh great!  :-)

Thanks mister.  Now I can get one ordered today ...

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2015, 01:28:32 pm »

not unless your running high current/ high speed.

Which I certainly won't be, so thankfully I now know that water-cooling is off the list of things to sort out before this first foray into the water ...

inertia

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2015, 02:06:52 pm »

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/ESCs.pdf

All you need to know about speed controllers. There's another article on the same website about "BEC" (Beginners Expect Confusion) but that will either bore you rigid or scare you to death...... or so I've been told!

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2015, 02:09:14 pm »

Cheers inertia, that's actually jolly useful!   :-)

Unsinkable 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2015, 09:35:42 pm »

Norman, I wondered the same a couple of months back. I ordered a brass prop and shaft, make sure not to order the wrong size like I did, doh :embarrassed: . Make sure your thread on the prop shaft is the same as in the prop. IE 4mm or 5mm and then what I did was to pack a syringe with grease and inject it into the outer shaft, then I pushed the inner shaft back in. A "worm" of grease will exit the other end but then you know it's full and it won't leak internally. My prop shaft is below the waterline inside the boat but doesn't let a drop in.
When I fitted the outer shaft through the hull I pushed it partly in then smeared araldite all over it and pushed it the rest of the way until it was where I wanted it. I used the excess araldite that got scraped off around the prop shaft on the inside making sure not to glue the inner and outer shafts together.  U2
It'll look better when it's finished!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.