Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Norman's Springer  (Read 94319 times)

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
Norman's Springer
« on: September 15, 2015, 06:13:58 pm »

Greetings from the wet 'n' windy Sarfeast :)

I'm starting to get this daft idea that perhaps I might fancy an RC boat of some kind with which to potter about on the local boating pond.  But the sum total of my knowledge on the subject goes back 50 years and more to when I used to stand by the side of a boating lake watching blokes losing their tempers with bits of washing line, petrol engines, and amazing (to me, anyhow - I was easily amazed at that age) constructions in ply and varnish.

All I can bring to the table is what modelling experience I've gained this time round, which amounts to half a dozen balsa-and-film electric-powered RC aircraft successfully built from plans.  I have a place to work in good light (most of the time), hand tools only apart from a Dremel, my Spektrum DX6i transmitter and that's about it. In other words, I'm clueless about model boats.

So right now I have just two questions.

One is - is my transmitter any use for model boats?

And the other is - given my complete newbie status, age (pushing 70), and the fact that whatever I build will be carried to the (one and only) boating pond on the trailer behind my pushbike (how's that for old-school?), what sort of boat should I be looking at? I rather fancy something that sits well in the water and is very controllable/manoeuverable at low speeds.  I have no interest in i/c engines or tearing round the pond, it doesn't have to be scale or authentic-looking in any way, and low build cost is important.

Erm ... that's about it for starters :)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Questions from the clueless
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 07:05:51 pm »

Welcome and answers to your questions, tranny is fine but not for submarines.  Have a look at Springers.  A simple towboat with any style top you like.  Very bike-able ....except in my case it is wifes Dutch style bike that has the carrier {:-{
..well can you land on this?

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 07:50:48 pm »

Ooooooh!  Thanks for that, Arrow5  :-)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but with any luck it will annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
Norman's Springer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 02:52:52 pm »

In a word, help!  Newbie here much taken with the idea of building a Springer, but rapidly losing the will to live.

Is there actually a working URL anywhere on the internets from which I can download plans for a Springer hull as a PDF?  I've just spent the best part of 30 minutes searching and all I've found so far are dead links  :((   

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Re: Springer Plans
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 03:48:38 pm »

Here you go!   :-))

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3471.msg35227.html#msg35227

Springer Plans - Word Doc format

In a word, help!  Newbie here much taken with the idea of building a Springer, but rapidly losing the will to live.

Is there actually a working URL anywhere on the internets from which I can download plans for a Springer hull as a PDF?  I've just spent the best part of 30 minutes searching and all I've found so far are dead links  :((
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 04:04:52 pm »

Thanks Martin, but whatever I do with that Word doc, I can only print the first of the three pages.  I think this is because I use LibreOffice rather than Word, but I'm not sure - hence me asking if the plan's available anywhere as a PDF.

Gosh.  I have very little hair left to pull out, and my teeth were too expensive to gnash ...  :((

But thank you anyhow.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 04:22:28 pm »

It  is  only a 3 page doc, side elevation is all you need - the 'beauty' of the design!

Standby, I'll convert it to PDF....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 04:31:12 pm »

You can always get a fibreglass hull from Andy
at Models By Design. :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 04:36:17 pm »

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 05:59:18 pm »

Gosh, thanks Martin!  :-))

Looking at how much balsa I have kicking around and what I wouldn't need to buy if I could stretch to one of those fibreglass hull, that's beginning to seem a very attractive alternative so thanks for that too.

At least now I have a choice of ways forward ...

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 06:40:46 pm »

Hi Norman, what part of the SE are you. Are you near the Model Boat Association Dover, we sail on Kearsney Abbey Lake.
Several Members have built Springer Tugs and we also have a Springer Tug Barge pushing Competition at each Regatta.
We have a Web Site also Facebook and would be pleased to see you. One Member cycles with a trailer from Deal.

Regards,
Len, Scale Secretary.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 07:44:36 pm »

I've just had a look and there are only three pages in the word document.

I'll check if there's anymore. However ........... the rest of the thread does show the boat under construction.  There are also loads of builds on the Forum.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

springersrus

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 11:38:01 pm »

complete springer plans here http://gtmbc.org.uk/springer.html plus pictures

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 06:49:11 am »

Thanks gents!  I reckon I'm sorted now - at least where the plans are concerned ...

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 06:53:03 am »

Not near enough, Len - but thank you anyhow.

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 09:10:52 am »

For my first model boat build I'll be making a very basic Springer tug, and I'm wondering if any of my spare brushless motors might be usable for it in order to keep the cost down.  These amount to ...

1500kV D2836/6

880kV C2836

EMax GT2215/12

Would it be worth my while trying any of these (using 2S LiPo's)?  And if so, what sort of prop should I get?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 09:30:16 am »

Since the original spec for a Springer called for the most basic RS540 motor like one of these - http://www.robotshop.com/uk/banebots-rs-540-motor.html - you will want to figure out the nearest equivalent.  I think I saw a similar one in Maplins a few days ago for about £5.50. 
The spec also called for a 35mm or thereabouts prop.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 12:56:47 pm »

Thanks Malcolm.  It looks like any of my spare motors might work OK, so I'll reckon on making the mounting suitable for a good bit of trial and error. 

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 06:00:58 pm »

Not near enough, Len - but thank you anyhow.

Then where are you.

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 06:05:39 pm »

Then where are you.

In the next county  ok2

inertia

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 06:50:49 pm »

One is - is my transmitter any use for model boats?
As long as it isn't on 35MHz. You can use 27MHz, 40MHz or 2.4GHz for boats, but 35MHz is strictly for aeroplanes.
DM

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 06:58:22 pm »

Spektrum Dx6i will do fine as its 2G4  :-))

Ned

Norman Castle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2015, 06:51:17 am »

Yep, but I'm still not sure I understand how I use it for boats.  Am I right that the easiest way is to put the throttle on the RH (centre detent) stick and use the LH one for steering, presumably by arranging the rudder servo at neutral with the stick in the middle of its travel?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2015, 07:28:14 am »

I use mine mainly for yachts and have the throttle (sailwinch) on the Left hand up/down stick with the ratchet.
and aileron (boat rudder) on the righthand left/right stick.
I also have a springer and a tug on the same TX setup.
Some people take the ratchet off and replace it with a spring to give
a return to neutral if you let go of the stick. It's really a matter of personal choice.

Ned

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2015, 07:41:23 am »

No rules as per which stick for what. Whatever suits you. Eg  for a steam launch I use right lever  my channel 1, as throttle (full back = stop), left lever, my channel 3, as ahead and astern gear. A rotary knob, my channel 5, blows the whistle, and another rotary knob, my channel 6, steers the rudder. For my own convenience I removed the return springs. My Tx came with 4 channels as standard. Adding 2 rotary knob pots gave two more with one connection spare for a five channel module which I use for extras on a voith Schneider tug. Some Tx can run all their channels separately with other modes for mixing channels and changing rates. Mine, by Graupner for example has Car/Boat, Aircraft, Delta and V-tail modes. I don't know much about the last three!
Hope this helps.
Jerry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 23 queries.