Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell 1/48 scale Swift Boat. RC conversion.  (Read 4662 times)

Lifeboat1

• Shipmate
Revell 1/48 scale Swift Boat. RC conversion.
« on: September 15, 2015, 09:36:33 pm »

Hi, just finished converting a little Revell 1/48  Swift Boat to RC. I used tank type 2.4 GHz radio and controller. Seems to work quite well but unfortunately the kit propellers are not left and right handed so it turns better in one direction than the other. However it still works well. Can supply build pics which are similar to a conversion I did of the Revell S Boat 1/72 scale. Regards to all.

Lifeboat1

• Shipmate
Re: Revell 1/48 scale Swift Boat. RC conversion.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 02:54:13 pm »

Revell Swift Boat build.

Lifeboat1

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 03:00:14 pm »

Revell Swift boat build conversion to RC.

Lifeboat1

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 03:04:27 pm »

Revell Swift boat conversion. Propellers have been changed from kit supplied to contra rotating.

Lifeboat1

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 05:15:38 pm »

Pics are posted in reverse order. Any info required?

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 05:49:39 pm »

Interesting, I have one of those kits on stock, planning to use 2 BL motors and 2S LiPo, micro receiver from Spektrum and controlled by V-tail set-up.

How does it perform on the water ?
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

Lifeboat1

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 01:10:37 pm »

Hi tica,
Thanks for the interest.
I changed the props to contra rotating which are slightly over-scale (Pic 6). Due to the slight increase in size I had to remove the rudders which were redundant anyway.
I use a Heng Long 1/16 tank 2.4Ghz RX18 receiver/controller  unit and transmitter. Using this set up :- No servo. No linkages. No rudder/s. No speed controller. No visible antenna. Just two motors each operating independently with variable speed control. Power is a  Lipo 40C-450mAh-7.4v battery. I have not installed an off on switch. I switch on transmitter then plug in battery to control unit and slip battery and unit under the deck (which is permanently glued on) as pictures 5,4,3,2. The white plastic pieces in the hull act as guides and hold the control unit in position. The tape covering the control unit is simply protection against splash and electrical contact with brass prop shafts. It was necessary to remove the unit casing to enable it to fit in (casing simply unclips). I pretreated the unit to water proof it. It takes a few seconds for the unit to bind with the transmitter. You then use the right hand stick to control the motors.
Your question was "How does it perform on the water?"
I tested the unit on my garden pond which is not overly large. The model floats slightly bow down when stationary but trims up with any forward way on. The speed is variable from a creep to well over scale speed. The steering is good and the model will turn in its own length if required. It will easily climb onto the plane and looks very good in my opinion. I plan to post some videos in the future.
Regards
Steve.     

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.