Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Matchbox 1/72nd H.M.S. Bluebell  (Read 40463 times)

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
Matchbox 1/72nd H.M.S. Bluebell
« on: September 16, 2015, 10:46:49 am »

Hi all, managed to get my Bluebell  :-))  as you can see it's an old Matchbox kit, I've been through the contents, & all appears to be present, apart form 2 glass ( plastic ) portholes, but I'm sure I'll be able to use something else. nice to see it as some crew, & the flags are sort of cloth material, so that's good.
I've brought the necessary bit's n bobs from SHG, to make her R/C so that should be fun  %% 
All the mouldings look to be very clean & crisp, from what I remember of matchbox they were always a nice fit, so lets hope this one is too  :D
I think I'll upgrade some of the parts like the railings etc, as they look a bit lifeless.
Cheers Dan.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Matchbox 1/72nd H.M.S. Bluebell
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 11:07:28 am »

Pour some glue into the box, seal it up, shake it up for 20 minutes and  voilą!
.... obviously, add paint for colour.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 12:52:14 pm »

Wow - you're very lucky! I'd LOVE to have an original Matchbox Flower Class model.

I bought the Revell re-issue back in 2003 (brand new for £40 from Revell Germany) and it was very poor quality. The 2 halves of the moulds were badly aligned so nothing fitted properly.
I was really diappointed in the early Revell model after many years of coveting the Matchbox model from afar in Beatties model shop - it was WAY too expensive when I was young.

I've built another couple of them since and the quality is better, but still not a good as the originals.

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 02:33:27 pm »

Pour some glue into the box, seal it up, shake it up for 20 minutes and  voilą!
.... obviously, add paint for colour.

Lol sounds like a plan  :-))  I'll throw in the motor etc & hope they find the correct place to live  {-)  Watch this space  %%

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 02:37:05 pm »

Wow - you're very lucky! I'd LOVE to have an original Matchbox Flower Class model.

I bought the Revell re-issue back in 2003 (brand new for £40 from Revell Germany) and it was very poor quality. The 2 halves of the moulds were badly aligned so nothing fitted properly.
I was really diappointed in the early Revell model after many years of coveting the Matchbox model from afar in Beatties model shop - it was WAY too expensive when I was young.

I've built another couple of them since and the quality is better, but still not a good as the originals.

Cheers Plastic, I paid 60 quid for this one, not cheap, but cheaper than getting a Revell one  :embarrassed:  some one's written on the back of the box purchased in 1980, so she's been stored a while  %%  I think i'll start her this weekend esp if this weather keeps up  :D  Can't mow the grass if it's wet now can I !!!! :-))

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 02:52:27 pm »

I remember this one being in My local Model shop when I was a kid.... I remember the price as well... 29.99.  This was back in 1982/83
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 02:54:22 pm »

ahhh the good old days, bought mine in '82 £26.00, its main engine was powered by 4 D sized batteries - yep that bad, I aint got any better  {-)

RC was a acoms 2 channel, still got her, shes had a couple of updates in the early 20 years, but not for a while, still have the two books, mine has an airfix bofors replacing the pedestal gun as the kit gun is atrocious, the main 4" is original but its hidden under the canopy so the detail is easily overlooked, was going to convert the gun to a german 88 back half to improve the look but decided to keep the original with a bit of moulding canvas.

mine also has the two bridge guns replaced with 1/35 Tamiya willys MB jeep 50 cal machine guns as these were better looking than those in the kit.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 05:31:04 pm »

Managed to start the hull, glued both sections together & fitted the main prop shaft. This had to be done very carefully, as there wasn't much hull left by the time I'd drilled & filed it out to get the shaft to fit. In the end it went in with a nice tight fit & I've dropped some epoxy all over it to seal any small gaps that might be present. I've also smoothed off the edge where the hull joins, but I reckon it'll need some filler finish it off .

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 07:20:45 pm »

It's difficult to tell from the photos Dan, is there sufficient clearance between propshaft and hull, on the inside, to attach a motor or would you use a small pulley system ?

Regards,

Ray.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 07:26:50 pm »

Does look a bit close to the hull.
Maybe it's the camera angle.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 07:30:09 pm »

the revel kit IS the matchbox kit. I have 3 revell issues and 4 original Matchbox versions.
Earlier this year a Mr Dave Abbott was talking to me as he had just made a corvette that had been left on his bin outside his house for him by someone. He had been trying to source the decals for it for 6 months  to finish it off but had had no success from Revell. I mentioned that I had a few bits left and delivered him an original set of Matchbox decals and a Revell set. He used the original set......from 1979! and they came out perfect. no silvering or fragility!! He was more than impressed that I had a spare set of original decals and that I would let him have them for free!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 07:37:12 pm »

a corvette that had been left on his bin outside his house for him by someone.

That will have me checking my bin on Monday morning O0 {-) {-)

Regards,

Ray.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2015, 07:47:20 pm »

Well your not getting your hands on any of mine!  Lol
full time penguin

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2015, 08:05:03 pm »

Ive measured the distance from the end of the shaft to the bilge, its 19mm so plenty of room for the coupling to meet the motor  :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2015, 08:14:14 pm »

Thanks for that Dan.

Must have been the camera angle, as suggested above. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 09:20:04 pm »

the revel kit IS the matchbox kit. I have 3 revell issues and 4 original Matchbox versions.
Earlier this year a Mr Dave Abbott was talking to me as he had just made a corvette that had been left on his bin outside his house for him by someone. He had been trying to source the decals for it for 6 months  to finish it off but had had no success from Revell. I mentioned that I had a few bits left and delivered him an original set of Matchbox decals and a Revell set. He used the original set......from 1979! and they came out perfect. no silvering or fragility!! He was more than impressed that I had a spare set of original decals and that I would let him have them for free!

Yes - it's the same moulds - but the care of their alignment and the quality of the pastic are nowhere near as good as the old Matchbox version.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2015, 09:51:37 pm »

Dave Abbott did a review of the Revell kit for Model Boats magazine a little while back. His article is on the MB website: http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/hmcs-snowberry/10039

Colin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 07:50:23 am »

Dave Abbott did a review of the Revell kit for Model Boats magazine a little while back. His article is on the MB website: http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article/hmcs-snowberry/10039

Colin

That's the one I supplied the decals for . He ran this boat at watermead and Black Park open days in the last few weeks  and no doubt it will be on display at the St Albans show at the end of September as well
full time penguin

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 09:41:41 am »

Colin

Thanks for the link Colin  :-))  I like looking at other peoples builds gives me inspiration  :embarrassed:  Cheers Dan

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2015, 01:25:22 pm »

makes me envious - if ever I get the time i'll have to upgrade mine to look better.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2015, 01:47:45 pm »

makes me envious - if ever I get the time i'll have to upgrade mine to look better.
Get a new 'old' kit and build another.  There were 3 different  versions in the box.
full time penguin

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2015, 01:59:26 pm »

too many boats to redo - finish off - upgrade and no space and the cost for any is getting higher each year, plus I'm jinxed, every time I try to upgrade one of start one, work starts to get in the way or something or other happens, the card board boat is on hold for the time being due to things happening at work - for the worse.  >>:-(

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 02:48:05 pm »

Hmmm same problem here. I sold 3 boats and then got given 7 boats.  And I'm sure they are breeding in my shed!
full time penguin

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 05:27:50 pm »

Got a little further today, Filled the cracks etc, & fitted the bilge keels, they were fun to fit, ended up using cyno,as they kept springing back up  >:-o  got there in the end though  :D  Also made up the rudder, as in the review, I used a shop rudder & cut it down & fitted the original model rudder over it & used epoxy to glue them together. I had to adjust the angle of the post a bit to get the rudder to sit correct, but with a bit of plastic metal to fill the gap it looks pretty good. Just got to trim the shaft down a it to fit under the deack & jobs a gooden  :-))
Pleased with the results so far  :embarrassed:

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2015, 05:42:56 pm »

Nice work so far!

A suggestion - Because the rudder tube has to be cut down to fit under the deck, I normally put a bulkhead just in front of the rudder post to limit where any water ingress can get to.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.