Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Matchbox 1/72nd H.M.S. Bluebell  (Read 40468 times)

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Matchbox 1/72nd H.M.S. Bluebell
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2015, 05:25:13 am »

That's like the stuff I have ordered,  it may be £2.60 per roll but to send it to Cyprus they want £11.05 postage. This is one of the problems we have out here. I tend to buy things on e bay from China, it may take a month to get here but the postage is free.  We don't have any model shops in Paphos the nearest one is Limassol if you can find them open, but as there's no Web site you don't know what your getting.  Chris

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2015, 10:08:31 am »

That's like the stuff I have ordered,  it may be £2.60 per roll but to send it to Cyprus they want £11.05 postage. This is one of the problems we have out here. I tend to buy things on e bay from China, it may take a month to get here but the postage is free.  We don't have any model shops in Paphos the nearest one is Limassol if you can find them open, but as there's no Web site you don't know what your getting.  Chris

pity you already ordered it. I could have sent you some for just the postage, prob only a couple of quid, you only need a few inches really  {:-{

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2015, 01:40:35 pm »

Success  :-))  Gave it a couple more coats of grey , then went straight wet on wet with the Red, both the same make this time  %%  Got a nice smooth finish, now let that go off & get the waterline taped & a coat of Grey for the upper. Nice to see some colour on it.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2015, 03:44:47 pm »

Only one problem Dan, you've sprayed it upside down!  %)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2015, 05:15:26 pm »

Only one problem Dan, you've sprayed it upside down!  %)

There's no flies on you Martin  {-)  I wondered who'd spot my mistake first  %%   

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2015, 08:27:10 pm »

That's alright Martin, all Dan has to do is hang from the roof beams by his feet when spraying the top coat:O)

Oh, you meant that the grey went on before the red? I am sure Dan has a cunning plan to bring the grey back.

I am glad you got the paint to behave this time. Smooth is the word for that lovely job :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2015, 11:31:23 pm »

Its OK Dan.......looks like those Dockies  %) did a good paint job with the RED primer

Now the question is.......will that said RED primer be waterproof?........or after a certain number of hours [2 & 1/4 max] being immersed in the briny will it absorb sufficient moisture through the porous surface & then collectively fall off your plastic hull?

I have little experience here ....so hopefully someone ;D [a highly experienced person in the art of model dockyard hull preparation and painting] may offer some worldly advice .... Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2015, 07:50:40 am »

Cheers for that  :-))  I've decided to go for the individual brass one's. They look pretty good & will fit in the holes already in the decks  :embarrassed:  many Thanks though Dan.
Dan where are you going to get them i am thinking along the same lines, but you need 77 @ 15mm and 16@ 11mm. Very expensive,  if you have a contact let me know.
Chris

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2015, 10:08:15 am »

Its OK Dan.......looks like those Dockies  %) did a good paint job with the RED primer

Now the question is.......will that said RED primer be waterproof?........or after a certain number of hours [2 & 1/4 max] being immersed in the briny will it absorb sufficient moisture through the porous surface & then collectively fall off your plastic hull?

I have little experience here ....so hopefully someone ;D [a highly experienced person in the art of model dockyard hull preparation and painting] may offer some worldly advice .... Derek

That is a thought,  {:-{  on the plus side, I've used the same before on a previous build  ( HMS Leeds Castle ) & it's held up to the elements, I can just hope this one will too  :embarrassed:

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2015, 10:11:31 am »

Dan where are you going to get them i am thinking along the same lines, but you need 77 @ 15mm and 16@ 11mm. Very expensive,  if you have a contact let me know.
Chris

Chris I'm going to get mine from here, as you say expensive but no point spoiling the ship foe a hapeth of tar as they say  :embarrassed:  Oh thanks for counting them by the way, saves me a job  :-))
http://www.modellingtimbers.co.uk/40.html

Oh he's away until the end of he month, so I'll order mine then. Great bloke to talk to also

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2015, 01:18:02 pm »

Thanks Dan for the attachment,  I found this on e-bay no 180926444650 , 9806 Pavel. Take a look, might work out cheaper,  by the way double check the number of stanchions just to make sure. Love the model of HMS Leeds Castle,  a very well done ship.
Chris

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2015, 05:05:09 pm »

modelling timbers is a ace supply and as said great guy to deal with
I will finish this model

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2015, 05:33:11 pm »

Thanks Dan for the attachment,  I found this on e-bay no 180926444650 , 9806 Pavel. Take a look, might work out cheaper,  by the way double check the number of stanchions just to make sure. Love the model of HMS Leeds Castle,  a very well done ship.
Chris

Yeah they might work out a little cheaper,[size=78%] although Keith said if I buy a decent quantity, he'll do a bit of discount, plus the chap was really helpful, so I'm going to stick with him [/size] :-))
Thanks for the Compliment on Leeds Castle, she was my brothers last ship before he came out of the RN, brought the Hull & scratch built the rest. 1:72nd scale, was a pain getting bits to fit  >:-o

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2015, 05:49:11 pm »

Also got the top Grey painted, just got to do the camo pattern now  :-))  Looks nice with the brass prop on too  :-)

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2015, 03:05:20 pm »

Got the camo detail done  :-))  Not quite the exact image on the instructions, but looks near enough  :embarrassed:

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2015, 04:44:49 pm »

Mine has that biscuit colour up front as well - looks strange - actually never liked it, might break it up a lot if I ever get time to refit her again, I used humbrol paint in the 80's, still solid and as far as I know intact. bueatiful finish  :-))
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2015, 10:31:32 pm »

Cheers Warspite  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:  I'm not to keen on the front colour either, but better put it on as it says so  {-)
Not sure weather to use the original decals  seal them with matt varnish or get some new ones made up in vinyl  {:-{  I've used some flat clear abs sheet to cover the port holes, that way I could make sure they are well sealed so not to let water in.  Starting to see some progress now  :-)) [size=78%] [/size]

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2015, 04:28:29 pm »

Finished fitting all the port hole glass, & fitted rear deck in place & made a tray for the battery to fit in. Floated her for the 1st time today to get the battery in the best place, sits nice & level & no water ingress  :-))

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2015, 11:20:28 pm »

Good to see her afloat Dan. I had to take a second look at that last photo - it's a kind of optical illusion in that, at first glance, I thought you had painted the inside of the Bow a brown colour.  :o
(It's the fo'c'sle deck, of course) :embarrassed:

Regards,

Ray.

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2015, 05:22:37 am »

Hi Dan. She is looking good, I seem to take one step forward two back,then wait for weeks for things to arrive . If you don't like the front colour you can just put the grey back. There's a colour pic in John Lambert book ,later date but who knows when it was changed? What battery did you use.
Don't know what ship I will do yet ?
Chris

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2015, 09:36:03 am »

Hi thanks for nice comments  :embarrassed:  The fo'c'sle  deck is just placed on at the mo, will fit it soon.  I've decided I quite like the front colour now, breaks it up a bit, I wonder why they didn't put it anywhere else on the hull ?
Anyway, glad it didn't sink  {-)
I used this type of battery as I thought it would double up as ballast, & it also helped that I had one in the cupboard  :-))
Must be annoying for you Chris having to wait ages for things to arrive  {:-{ 
http://www.componentshop.co.uk/6v-4-5ah-sealed-lead-acid-battery.html

TheOldMan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2015, 12:17:37 pm »

Disaster  >>:-( just finished spraying the hull when it fell nose ( bow ) first off the workmate when I moved it to get something. It has put a 2 inch split down  the bow , from the deck down. Not on the seam but to the side of it, goes to show it's a weak point. So be aware.
Chris

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2015, 03:02:13 pm »

Disaster  >>:-( just finished spraying the hull when it fell nose ( bow ) first off the workmate when I moved it to get something. It has put a 2 inch split down  the bow , from the deck down. Not on the seam but to the side of it, goes to show it's a weak point. So be aware.
Chris

Damn, that's not good  >:-o  I bet you're well  >>:-(  Can you glue it ok ?  Are you doing a build thread ? would be nice to see some progress piccys  :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2015, 06:27:56 pm »

Were you going for the 'battle damage' look Chris?!   {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2015, 01:17:51 am »

More likely after it had rammed a submarine %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.