Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apprentices  (Read 6309 times)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
Re: Apprentices
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 10:28:39 am »

... when I started my proffession as a plumber, I was send to the stores for some anvil-grease. Came back with a bottle of Schnaps, as some of the old lads told me, if you can`t bring the right stuff, you`ll have the sh... for the rest of your time.
Finally I became due to the winter-season the stores-helper, which gave me a nice, warm job when the others had been out on the rrofs in the cold.

If I look back now.... this is about 30 years ago....... goodness me, what an ol`wreck did I have become meanwhile......

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 10:43:27 am »

When I was working on Wimpey drilling ships the fitter asked the drilling foreman , who was helping him on a generator, to go fetch a metric shifting spanner. Off he toddled and only twigged after an abortive search of the store room !
Pat, if you are reading this, sorry to let your secret out to the world  ;D ;D

MikeK

Hi Mike,

When I was an apprentice my foreman once asked me to go fetch his large adjustable spanner and I jokingly said "which one metric or imperial" Last laugh on me because you can buy adjustable spanners with metric calibration marks on the jaws. So as strange as it sounds you can get a metric adjustable spanner.

Clive ;D

Hi Clive,

Thanks for that info - you live and learn as they say  ;D The fitter I mentioned was a pal of mine, so I know he was winding Pat up, but now you have told me there is such a thing I will give Pat the benefit of the doubt (  ;) ::) )
My humble apologies, if you are reading this Pat  ;D ;D

MikeK

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2007, 12:08:27 pm »

the usual crack for us with new team members or students on work placement is to send 'em to the stores or warehouse asking for 'a large box of sparks for the grinder'........... ;D
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2007, 12:20:43 pm »

Hi all, I suppose this is getting caught the other way.
When in the RAF I was in charge of a maintenance bay and we had a Radar called Green Satin and it had an aerial that had a motor driven gearbox which aligned the 1 metre long aerial across the track of the aircraft, all inside a radome cover.

I got the apprentice lad to clean and re-grease the gears as an exercise.  Some months later I thought I would keep my hand in and do the next one myself.  So I said to the 'lad' where is the grease you used last time?  And he handed me a tin of 'Coarse grinding compound'!

We spent the rest of the day tracing the aerial he had worked on, and putting the aircraft on maintenance and then opened up the gearbox.
It was the cleanest sparkliest set of gears you have ever seen.  No damage so we cleaned it up re-greased it tested it and told no one!  Apart from you lot now!  (The aircraft was a Britannia.)
I personally then threw the tin away.
regards Roy

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2007, 01:25:08 pm »

Oddly enough, back in the 50s when I was doing Tri-ang train sets, the received wisdom was to run in brass worm/worm wheel sets using Brasso.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

DaveB

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007, 07:27:37 pm »

Got sent to the stores for a "illigitimate" file  thought they were taking the mick so skived for a couple of hours, got a right rollicking and almost had the file inserted where the sun don't shine
DaveB

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 10:46:46 pm »

Back in 1961 as a dumb 15 year old appro I got sent into a shop to buy my fitter a 1/4 pound of `clitoris fruits`.

To this day its the fastest I have ever left a shop. Talk about a red face.

Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.