Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: NZ Coastal Tug Koraki  (Read 12995 times)

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
Re: NZ Coastal Tug Koraki
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2015, 11:01:18 pm »

Last ones.
Unfortunately for me, one of the Koraki's Mates is a member on this forum and he'll be able to point out the mistakes and shortcuts I've made in these last posts. There is no lifejacket locker on the real flying bridge but I had made 2 and didn't want to throw the spare out. There is an extra rail on the ladder – my mistake and didn't realise until it was installed. I've used the aerial array that was in use in 1995. This boat seems to have aerials sticking out of everywhere, I've still got a couple more to add.
Almost finished the main superstructure as well. Should have that competed this weekend. Then it's only the winch left to make. I've been avoiding that, it's a particularly complex and compact little unit. Luckily it's black so that will hide a multitude of sins.At this stage of a build I'm already thinking about the next project and can't wait to be done with this one. Yahoo!!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 11:17:07 pm »

Very sharp detail Steve ...congratulations :-))... are you using rattle cans or an airbrush?

Some of the latter images near appear as CAD 3D generated {-)  ...... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2015, 11:29:03 pm »

Just read through your build for the first time - enjoyed every minute of it, mainly down to the unusual subject plus the mishaps along the way. My own work tends to suffer the same.  O0

Watching now for your updates. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2015, 07:30:21 pm »

Derek – I use an airbrush – a really cheap $29 version from SuperCheapAuto. It works fine. Cans are quite expensive here and the colour range is a bit limited. Plus I like to use satin finish. I think that gloss paints look a little too bright and shiny for a working boat. In the past I had a very expensive Aerogragraph airbrush, and then an even more expensive Badger – haven't used them in years. Always having to replace the O-rings and needles got to be annoying. The $29 version works just as well for this type of work. I also always use enamel paints and the cheapie handles them and thinners well. It hasn't had an easy life.  Haven't got around to using acrylics yet. A bit concerned about the combination of a quick drying time and clogging the airbrush.
Ray – thanks

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2015, 07:42:27 pm »

Had an interesting email this morning. The Koraki's mate, captain, former owner, and builder are now all following the build. Hi guys.
It's the old 'good news, bad news' story.
The bad news is that they will all be able to spot my short-cuts and mistakes in the next few posts.
The good news is that the one of them now owns Thomsom Tugs (4 boats) in Auckland and has offered me any help I need if I want too model one their boats. 
When I started on this build I had actually planned to build two boats at once – the other was the Christine Mary (a Thomson boat) – the red one in the photos. However at basic hull stage it and the Koraki were so similar that I put the CM on the back burner and stopped work just before skinning up the hull. Might now be able to get onboard to a get a few photos and resurrect the project.

The Koraki's former owner and builder, Pat Ganly (who is also following the build) is one of New Zealand's best known shipbuilders and has built some very fine tugs. I've already built a couple of models of some of his boats: Kupe (1970) from Wellington, Te Matua (1986) from Tauranga, and the next on the bench is another of his tugs.His old firm is still making some great boats – the PT May is one of their latest
...and the Koraki's skipper has mentioned that I might be able to get a trip on the tug on its cement barge run up the coast.
Not a bad start to the week.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 08:52:48 pm »

On the Te Matua can you explain way the funnel/engine exhausts are in that position? It appears to me that it must cause an immense blind spot to port when running ahead.

LB

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 09:24:04 pm »

That is an exquisite build Steve. I know what you are going through dropping bits and ruining something you spent ages forming/soldering etc. I think it is our quota of karmic balance and wish it would not happen!

I have used PPD before when having a set of helicopter blades etched for a client and they do good work. It helps having a friend who can draw computerly well and understands how etching works as well.

Reading your initial comments on being locked into building in 1:50th scale, have you considered doing different subjects in a different scale or are you a dedicated Tug builder?

Pond weed is your enemy

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2015, 09:45:23 pm »

LB – The Te Matua is a harbour tug and I've seen it working. The stern is the business end, it does all of the pushing and pulling so the stern is usually at the front, they do everything in reverse, if you know what I mean. It's a Voith drive so it has full power any direction. They have an uninterrupted view of the working deck from the bridge. There is a blind spot looking forward at about 11 o'clock, but the funnel is angled and isn't very wide so it probably isn't too bad. Strange, but it doesn't seem to slow it down at all. The builders used that hull on a few other boats but that was the only superstructure like it.
Ballastanksian – Thanks. I think I'm a confirmed tug nut. No idea why. Wouldn't have room for them at a larger size. I'd like to make a Great Lakes freighter like the Edmond Fitzgerald but anything bigger than a breadbox would take some serious persuading of the wife. I'd never win that one. Hard enough sneaking another small one into the house.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 09:51:52 pm »

Hm, I see your point. Getting the space/acceptability balance must be a fine skill to have!
Pond weed is your enemy

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2015, 12:47:55 am »

Getting close to finishing.
Would have finished last week but a weird health issue threw a spanner in the works.
I woke up one morning and had completely lost my short/mid term memories. Didn't know what day it was, where I worked, what I did, what car I drove. Could remember the family and their names but that was about it. Was amazed to learn that I had another Alfa Romeo. It was something called a TGA (transient global amnesia) – yes, it is a real thing. Quite rare, and it wore off after about 6 hours but had to spend the next few days undergoing tests which basically consisted of putting my head into various machines and getting blasted by every frequency known to science. All good now and able to get back onto the build. Only upside is I might be able to use a TGA 'relapse' if I need any alibis for late night drinking sessions in the future.
Back to the build: As you can see, the box of pieces to be added to the boat is almost empty. Yahoo!
Just the display stand and the winch left to make.

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2015, 05:49:22 pm »

Nice build.
In the last photo,  are these the Winch parts?.

Len.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2015, 06:19:58 pm »

Some of them  :D
Spot the missing piece Len ;D

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2015, 09:10:17 pm »

On the Te Matua can you explain way the funnel/engine exhausts are in that position? It appears to me that it must cause an immense blind spot to port when running ahead.

LB

Te Matua is currently plying its trade at the port of Bluff.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:698967/mmsi:512001783/imo:0/vessel:TE_MATUA

B
"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2015, 10:02:26 pm »

Nice build.
In the last photo,  are these the Winch parts?.

Len.
Some of them  :D
Spot the missing piece Len ;D

Ned
Is it the Left handed  throsle bevel gear?.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 12:13:32 am »

Len: Down here in the southern hemisphere all the TBGs are right handed. It is there in the photo – if you are viewing it in the UK you'll need to stand on your head to see it the right way round.
Antipodes: Yes, she's all green now. Working down there with Hauroko which has exactly the same hull as Te Matua but more conventional superstructure.

I didn't need all of those components in the photo – I was experimenting with laser cutting different weights and types of ply. Really only needed about 1/4 of the pieces.
I've knocked out the basic form of the winch and it's slightly larger than I had anticipated. It all fits where it should but I had forgotten how tight space is on the real boat. You really have to squeeze to get in behind the real winch and at 1/50 size it looks very tight between the winch and the aft bulkhead.
Used a combination of ply, styrene and brass for the construction. This has had a basic primer coat and now onto undercoat, filler and sanding for a few sessions.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2015, 09:28:43 pm »

That winch is very impressive Steve - watching your progress with great anticipation. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2016, 05:35:05 am »

Finished. Yahoo!!
Well, it's all finished at last. After a few weeks' summer holiday over Christmas I've spent the past couple of days glueing on the last pieces and touching up the paint work. The last few bits seemed to give the most headaches. The air horns took ages to build. The results never seemed true to scale. I eventually made a small plug/mould and formed them out of hot 0.2mm styrene on a styrene shaft. Had to have quite a few attempts before I was happy with the result.
Also made the deck/work lightsDecided not to rig up the crane/hoist.
The last job was to apply the names and hull markings – very satisfying knowing that it's all over. I've noticed a couple of mistakes that I failed to pick up during construction and I'm sure the members on here who work on the Koraki will be able to spot my modeller's short cuts.
I'm ready for the next project so I probably won't do any remedial work on the errors. I'm sure I can live with them.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2016, 05:41:31 am »

The name plate has the tug's original name – SEATOW 21 still slightly visible under the paint. This image also has one of my errors. Anyone spot it?
The wire cable on the winch is steel fishing trace. Looks the part but is virtually impossible to bend around a small radius. Wrapping it around the drum required equal amounts of glue, clamping and bad language.
Already thinking about the next one.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2016, 07:43:23 am »

Hullo Steve and congratulations  O0

1. You have achieved a brilliant rendition of the subject 
2. you ask for the identification of an error in that first image {-)...I do not see this

I do however question about the vent U pipe and the horizontal rail as shown below....

The vent U pipe colour represents an oil [lube or hydraulic] to AS2700 in 'Golden Sand' :-))
The horizontal pipe to the stern is painted in the same colour, however I am unsure of the significance

You must be very happy with the build & we hope to see her on the water

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2016, 09:42:32 am »

Well, I am no great lover of tugs, but this is a model I would be proud to own. Very nice, well done :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2016, 11:00:55 am »

A very nice piece of engineering and model making.  You must be proud as it's such a pleasure to see.  Well done indeed.       :-))

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2016, 04:15:21 pm »

I do like to see a beaten up and dirty tug but in this case I say hats off to you Sir  O0  lovely  :-))

Dave

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2016, 05:23:30 pm »

Beautiful job Sir.
Is the after life belt bracket the wrong way round. ?

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2016, 09:00:52 pm »

Thanks for the encouraging comments guys.
Well spotted Ned – pick anything from the top row.
Rookie mistake on my part. I have the attention span of a goldfish.
Derek – close but no cigar. The vents are the right colours in the right places. That was one of the easier things to get right on this build. I managed to get photos of all of the vents while I was onboard. Not sure what that pipe does but it does seem a complicated way to vent something.
Karl – perhaps you could tell us what it does?
Dave – I'm too worried about stuffing it up to try to weather my models. I like the look and finish of makers' models and this is about as close as I can get to that.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.